Is it worth switching to an iPhone (from Android) to further escape the botnet?

Is it worth switching to an iPhone (from Android) to further escape the botnet?

No fanboy flamewars, just discussion on the best private option currently.

Supporting evidence that this makes sense: techshout.com/mobile-phones/2018/23/android-spy-10-times-iphone/

Attached: 1515563123788.jpg (1200x1600, 191K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/apple.html
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
theconcourse.deadspin.com/46-times-vox-totally-fucked-up-a-story-1673835447
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

If you can afford that lifestyle and are generally happy with the default setup of iPhones, go for it

> All-in-all, idle Android devices communicated with Google about 10 times more than Apple devices communicated with Apple servers.
wtf...

Attached: 1516273710049.jpg (622x464, 175K)

When running Apple, you're still running proprietary software, and you're paying more for it. There are a few FOSS Android distributions that don't come with any Google software.

Consider Apple's involvement with CHYNA
Is Google this close?

Attached: 1517159826100.jpg (1440x2876, 1.08M)

I don't give a shit about proprietary software. Both sides have it.
I just want to have hardware from a company that isn't data mining my every action as it's business model.

If you want out of google's spyware OS then yeah, but you're leaving a lot behind in terms of convenience. The things you used to do on Android with no problem you'll have to jump through hoops to do on iOS, but if you're on this board it shouldn't be hard for you just an inconvenience.

>I just want to have hardware from a company that isn't data mining my every action as it's business model.
Neither then

I don't doubt your claim, but is there proof that Apple is the same in this regard?

you can't "escape the botnet" if you don't care about using proprietary software. ideally you will need to use both hardware and software you fully control, you're skipping those. you just want validation because you want to buy an iphone

Attached: 1334329164853.jpg (600x623, 60K)

Not defending Apple, but their ecosystem is larger than Android's. It isn't hard to find equivalent apps.

>I just want to have hardware from a company that isn't data mining my every action as it's business model.
Google doesn't make the hardware on Android phones outside of their own Pixel phones.

You know what I meant. To clarify: hardware+software

Yeah but it's not an app thing, it's an access thing. File management on iOS is possible, customization is possible, lots of the things that you "miss" when you convert from android to ios is possible but they're a pain to do without a lot of time investment.

Just buy a non-Google android phone and install LineageOS or similar, without Google software.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Just get a lineage os phone.

Attached: Screenshot_SmartSelect_20180914112059.png (1074x1011, 178K)

>I don't doubt your claim, but is there proof that Apple is the same in this regard?
stallman.org/apple.html
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html

File management is possible?
Most likely.
/thread

>Vox
Aren't they HuffPo-tier journalists?

Yup planning on getting the XR or an 8 after a month or two once I have some stuff figured out

/thread

Unrelated, but is anyone working on a Jow Forums browser for iOS? There's no way there are only three apps. Fortune is abandonware, TheChan developer sperged out and stopped supporting the app, tetra is a fucking piece of shit with numerous bugs, which didn't even have the time to be fixed before it was pulled off appstore.
I miss clover so fucking much

Is LineageOS good? I don't know anything about smartphone OS because I've been using the same old iPhone for 5 years. I'd imagine it's probably just as janky as Android if not worse, but it's not like there are many options out there.

Android has changed a lot in the last 5 years, user. I can't change your mind over the Internet, but I think LineageOS is great. It comes with a very minimal set of apps so you can customize your whole phone, either going by the F-Droid route, or installing the Google set of apps, including the Play Store.

You will never truly escape the Botnet but Apple values your privacy more than anyone else

Yeah, try to get something with IOS 9. After 10, they added a lot more botnetesque and privacy-violating features.

Imagine falling for the dog and pony show with the FBI.

Attached: 1524271424479.jpg (1200x800, 107K)

Attached: 1534964923983.png (728x945, 345K)

What the everloving fuck

>citing fucking stallman
apple is far from innocent but come the fuck on user
it's common knowledge google is worse user, if you're really worried just don't use a phone at all though

>citing fucking stallman
No? It's not his opinion on anything, he is citing other sources as well.
>it's common knowledge google is worse user, if you're really worried just don't use a phone at all though
How? By their mobile operating system being open source and by the existence of microG?

>You will never truly escape the Botnet but Apple values your privacy more than anyone else
You're not even trying.

give it back Tyrone

>Is it worth switching to an iPhone (from Android) to further escape the botnet?
lol

Attached: 1536993021655.gif (652x562, 626K)

Quality reply.

you'll need to build your own phone from scratch if you want that.

They're trying to with Project Dragonfly, though they're not there yet
Android with microg

Vox is so bad that even journalists in the former Gawker network criticize it
theconcourse.deadspin.com/46-times-vox-totally-fucked-up-a-story-1673835447

Yes. Apple respect your privacy.

>Is it worth switching to an iPhone
no

There are upsides and downsides to both platforms. Android's upsides are malleability, user control and flexibility but it's downsides are that it requires a lot of maintenance and fiddling for the experience to be any good, and there are a shit ton of sketchy apps in the Play Store.
iOS' strengths are its ecosystem, stability, customer service, ubiquitous compatibility and privacy but its weaknesses are the fact that you really don't get much control over your own devices other than things like wallpaper.

It's a pick your poison type of situation.

>the throttling argument
Again? We really have to go over this again?
Alright, fine.

The throttling was completely necessary in ensuring the expanded lifespan of iOS devices. It was only ever activated after an unexpected shutdown and its only purpose was to prevent more unexpected shutdowns. After having the battery replaced, the throttling disappears until it acquires more damage over time.
This is a good thing. It means you won't have a phone whose battery dies at anywhere from 50% to 10%. Meanwhile, Google has never throttled any of its Nexus devices and as a result, nowadays you can't even find a Nexus 6P or 5X that hasn't bootlooped or isn't constantly prone to unexpected shutdowns. Entire communities on the internet are pissed about it.
Samsung didn't start throttling their flagship phones until the Galaxy S7 because of the lack of a removable back and user-replaceable battery.

It was necessary and wasn't really that big of a deal to begin with.

If you enjoy greater software customization and hardware options then yes. Otherwise, no.

This. Apple were actually in the right here, BUT they should’ve told everyone what was happening instead of making people find out on their own.

it could of been as simple as saying
would you prefer:
1) your phone works, a bit slower
2) your phone constantly shuts down, uncontrollably, but at full speed

>Google
>here's what data we collect and send to the NSA
>you can choose if you want to use our products

>Apple
>we don't collect any data on you
>spies on you and sends all your data to the NSA anyway

>FOSS
>we don't collect any data on you
>doesn't collect any data on you

Attached: 1512973981354.png (1177x1024, 42K)

Is that article true? Are Android devices REALLY polling you 10x more often and relaying that data? Scary. I want off Android.

guys is the Iphone SE still a good phone ?

"Still" would imply that it was ever a good phone.

It's slow yeah, but not terrible.
If you want that form factor with better specs, get an iPhone 8.

>that fucking chin
>that fucking forehead

Attached: 1523056285597.jpg (1742x740, 348K)

Is a different ROM for your phone out of the question?

>2018
>needing a custom rom
There used to be a point, but it's lost on me now. There isn't anything I need a rooted/custom ROM for.
Also using custom ROM opens you up to trusting a stranger on XDA who has root on your phone and may have stealth sideloaded some nasty shit.

>There isn't anything I need a rooted/custom ROM for.
>how do i privacy
Anyway, iPhone is better if you aren't ready to debotnet.
t. iPhag

don't ignore the glaring security hole of running a ROM from a random person on the internet. That just seems foolish.

You asked for better privacy, not complete privacy. Either Google gets your data or Pajeet and Zhang do. Apple just takes less but they do still take it.

Fair enough. I know there are privacy solutions on rooted Android, but the risk of trusting some random on XDA is too much for me.

Oh and for the record I really don't like Apple products. I've been comfy on my Android setup for a long time. But I deleted my Gmail, FB, Twitter, stopped using Goog, and am trying to be as minimal as possible with my botnet footprint.
The data shows Apple polls your device much less than Android, and as far as I can tell, Apple's business model doesn't revolve around data mining you. With this in mind, iPhone seems like a better path. (btw OP)

you cant really say you have stopped using google if you still have an android phone.

Exactly...which is the point of this thread. I am about to buy an (older) iPhone for the reasons I've mentioned, I just wanted to see if people agree that the reasons make sense.

Could cyanogen solve that? Never tried it, I don't know anything about it.

switching to iPhone is going straight into the botnet, retard. using an android device doesn't mean you have to use google software

>what is source code

>File management
that's a weird one. i've had iphones for 6 years. got a samsung s8 and took some pics. plugged it into the computer, thinking it would just see the phone as a usb device. it didn't. i never did figure out how to get the pics off the phone, so i emailed them to myself. why is it not as easy as i had thought it would be?

TheChan is still easily the best even if it lacks features. YouTube hyperlink title preview and Jow Forums pass support are the frustrating ones for me.

Yes. If you want a practical small phone, it's not slow btw, i handed my SE to my father a week ago and got an iPhone 7 as a gift, they're good phones. (Don't buy the 8, the only difference between 7 and 8 is that 8 has wireless charging and quick charge).

>buy s8
>ball of thumb keeps activating back button on screen while holding phone with one hand
never again.

I switched from Android back to Symbian. Get on my level, cucks.

did you ever figure out a way to disable that fucking annoying bixby thing?

(also, fuck the fucking nigger ass faggot captcha thing making me solve 8 fucking screens)

ios has less freedom, more privacy - Apple fight for privacy as long as they can use it to overcharge hardware and repairs to keep you locked in to their shit. Androd has more freedom, less privacy. Google track everything you do to sell you shit but let you copy mp3s to your phone from pc to keep you happy.

No I got a refund and went back to my iFag 7 plus.

If you're not a brainlet you would install lineageos (with microg if you need it) and avoid the botnet alltogether while getting latest security updates

Samsun or xiaomi are not google or apple
All of them data mine you if you use their default ROM, xiaomi and some LG phones allow you to unlock your devices officialy, with the rest you'd need to root, not a big deal tho

>trading one botnet for another
STOP

USING

MOBILE

TECHNOLOGY

Holy fuck, does any Dumbest Generation kid not have the ability to think?

Why does it become inevitable that the phone will start to shutdown randomly to the extent throttling becomes necessary

I was thinking about buying an iPhone but they're way too expensive to put up with all the consumer hostile stuff Apple does for example disabling your Macbook if you get it fixed by anyone but Apple, trying to trick you into buying new devices if you come in for a relatively minor repair, and even slowing down older devices via update. You notice how Apple devices despite having SoC ahead of its time and close to the hardware OS always gets slow over time to the point where you upgrade out of pure misery? Why did they glue the batteries into the iPhone 8?