Perl or python

I know C++ and I want to learn a new language but idk which language to learn next either python or perl. What does Jow Forums think?

Attached: python vs perl.jpg (480x360, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/the-2018-top-programming-languages
github.com/Apress/dive-into-python
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HolyC is the only way to learn programming.

You obviously better don't think what language should be the next. Don't learn the programming languages. Find the task and program it in the language of your choice, the language you'd like to know. And you also don't know C++ if you don't have any project.

Python is much more common
Also, C, C++ and all other variations of it are a waste of time, like attempting to learn machine code.
>Don't learn languages
Don't learn anything as a matter of fact, you can either think like a programmer or you can't, syntax will always be different between languages and versions of languages and implementations, but that can always be googled.

>Also, C, C++ and all other variations of it are a waste of time
Please poo in the loo, Pajeet

Perl was pure shit and is pretty much dead nowadays, go with Python instead

Not a pajeet, just not an autistic brainlet

Perl and Python both have their uses in the back-end, but Python is more worthwhile learning because of its use in so many other areas.
spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/the-2018-top-programming-languages

>Also, C, C++ and all other variations of it are a waste of time
Spotted the pajeet webdev

Python of course. Perl is outdated. Only hardware industry scripting is done in Perl these days.

download this now: github.com/Apress/dive-into-python

I mostly develop local applications or backend stuff, gtfo

I would say Python far more peoples are using it and for fast prototyping it's basically best lang out there.

If you want to write a decent program and be at least respected don't say C/C++ is waste of time because it's not true.

I like Perl, but I program it like C, with minimal object orientation. I'd believe if someone went from C->C++, they'd have a better time with Perl->Object-oriented Perl, but if that's not your path I'd question that utility.

Perl is great as a system-level language (files, network sockets, names, running commands, etc) but as a real programming language I'd have some reservations.

I used Perl to write an autobuilder "program" with logging features and an options interpreter for Windows compiling. Technically with minor changes it would run on Linux but we didn't need it to. I wanted to rebuild the whole thing anyway. I also wrote a Perl script to turn a resource file into a C file for statically compiling the data (we had fixed runtime memory requirements).

I have not used Python, but it is ugly as hell to me, but I prefer C. If you prefer C++ and whatever, Python seems far more object-dependent than Perl is, which would probably make it a lot more consistently behaved than Perl. I do love Perl, but I have not had to program object-oriented code outside of setting up a network socket for a listener.

Attached: generator.png (2560x1392, 369K)

Sorry for that image, that was from a previous version I think.

Also, "I have not used Python, it is ugly as hell to me"

Attached: t4.png (1319x1252, 153K)

>Python
>uglier than motherfucking Perl

You can write very, VERY obfuscated and obnoxious Perl. I always had use strict, use warnings, and put all my variable declarations at the top of functions. I'm still improving my style (using &Main, some other things here and there).

Attached: Perl.png (2560x1344, 199K)

i wrote many decent programs, it's what they pay me for, i'm very well respected too, but learning C/C++ today is still a waste of time.

Perl isn't ugly, just occasionally unreadable. Python is always readable but I fucking hate writing it. Steer fucking clear of perl OOP though.

Ruby's very perlish if you're looking for something that won't curse you to the legacy code work dungeon.

Is that a fat spic Jimmy Fallon.

>apply for jobs
>every job wants 10 years of experience
>embedded program work, cool
>they want C++
>for embedded
Guess they also want ++problems.

I think honestly the comfiest programming jobs now are those that require .NET, C# or PowerShell, not a M$ fan or anything, just been my experience, it's flexible, interesting and for a beginner it's easy to pick up and learn and so much can be done with it front and back end.

Depends on what your take of "interesting" is. I'm an Electrical Engineer that worked on debugging software telecom/modem-era technology.

Also tasked to add the occasional feature. Like a fax header. Or a phone card to 24 dedicated fax machines.

Attached: apply.png (2245x1204, 97K)

ah, well i'm the opposite, i work with modern systems and OSes and Software, newer database technologies and security on the backend, security and UX on the front end but i occasionally dabble as a hobby in some older tech and electronics.
It's not that C or C++ is useless, but if you're a 20-something in university then you won't have much fun or many job prospects by learning it.

Serious question, what's the point of even using Perl in the first place if you are gonna use strict and all the warnings?

I was paid $50k a year before they fucking stopped, and was working literally the Monday after graduation. Unemployed now because they had money problems.

You'd be surprised how much SIP, fax, etc, is running around. Not everything is Facebook. I was compiling some of our shit on a Windows 8.1 server, and had to use Manjaro for a VxWorks compile. Company was working on a 4x8-core ARM fax processing board, as well as some stuff going into space for NASA.

you write your module, you strict it up, then you import it in your freeform ascii art looking perl script

What else are you gonna program your microcontrollers besides C or C++ (and the occasional odd Java chip)?

Ada

Perl works on a system level, and our extra-code tools were nearly all Perl (there were some sh and batch scripts, so I had to learn those too).

>implying I was going to use C for text and file manipulation

Perl, hands down.

I never said anything about facebook or even networking.
I'm not denying that you probably had a good time doing all this and definitely not denying that some ancient shit is still what the world runs on but ultimately it's more futureproof to study modern stuff as more and more start-ups and established companies are gonna be moving to that. I'm passionate about older tech, and i'd fucking love to do something that goes to space someday, but that's not realistic for most people, especially since when hiring for working on older technologies the model candidate has tons of xp in most cases, glad it wasn't in yours but that's been my experience

I get using C++ for embedded, since you can use low-level stuff easily but force some of C++'s object-orientation. Fuller object-orientation would just be really bloated for an embedded platform, and depending on the platform, next to impossible to use (((modern))) programming methods. I couldn't use malloc or other dynamic memory allocation when writing a feature because there were subjective memory bounding requirements, and on the rare platform we had strict runtime requirements (i.e no dynamic allocation). The feature also had to be n-multi-thread safe, but not using locks/mutex's/etc.

Both, use Python knowledge to get a job, then write everything in uncommented Perl for job security.

Perl is absolute cancer and only for people over 50 and autists. It's a dead language, at least Perl 5 is anyway. And that's generally what people mean when they talk about Perl. Perl 6 is 18 years too late and Python does everything it can do better and has far more support.

Perl 5 is dead.
Perl 6 was stillborn.
Python is the only way to go.

Perl6 is actually, on paper, a much cooler lang than python. Perl5 is never going to die but it is definitely on life support. CPAN is nothing like one of a kind anymore. Python still can't compete with perl5 as a tooling language but then nobody really needs bespoke scripts on the fly in 2018.

OP, you're gonna get a lot of shit in this thread about "Use this, this is important."

The way to think about languages is how you should think about tools. You're not going to use a hammer to saw a board, just like you aren't going to use Lisp to write a website.

Really, you should just learn the fundamentals of programming, and to start of with that, you should work with logic gates. Now, I am not saying that you should start soldering things right off the bat, but rather you should be looking at digital circuit design. This will teach you the fundamentals, such as binary, logic, and building complex processes from logic.

From there, you should learn theory of computation. Don't care about the languages, as languages are just the medium on which the basics are carried. Learn about regexes, state machines, moore machines, mealy machines, finite state automata, and turing machines. Understand the connections between them.

Then, once you are done with that, you should look at a language, based on what YOU want to do. For example; if you want to work with web technologies, PHP, javascript, and markup languages will work well.

Perl is just as good or better of a language as Python but its less popular these days. I really wish it would make a comeback. Its one of the most expressive languages ever created.

Its like 9 or 10 of the most expressive languages ever created.

Learn you some Perl. Either Perl 5 or Perl 6 will do you some good.

I suggested the Perl family of programming languages (because I like the philosophy behind it) but just remember that programming languages are tools and have their use cases. Therefore you should choose the language that better fit s the task at hand.

Perl is only surpassed by Perl6

Perl 6 is 18 years later for what exactly? OP and the others would benefit if you could explain the reasons behind that claim.

The first release of Perl 6 hit on 2015 and since then it has undergone tremendous improvements so it's quite naive to think it could do better in every area than a language that has been under continuous development since around 1990.

Perl is dead. Learn Python.

BASIC

Attached: CPM_CLUB13.png (986x849, 55K)

>I want to be more employable
Learn Python
>I want to signal that I'm a neckbeard and/or a virgin
Learn Perl

18 years too late to be relevant. Noone cares anymore since Python does everything better anyway with syntax that actually makes sense to humans.

Do this OP. Follow this neckbeards advice and impress the interviewers with a complete inability to program in any language and show off the "clock" you soldered together yourself.

ctrl+f why not both
I write Perl one-liners errday.
I fix Python scripts because the dim bulb who sits across from me thinks 100 lines of OOP Python is better than one line of Perl.

Don't use Perl, nobody uses Perl. Use Python instead, its actually useful. Don't bother replying to this either, I'm going to bed goodnight

Optimized for happiness, choose Ruby ;)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 6.38.17 AM.png (1364x1024, 956K)

A time will come when you will be asked to work on one of your previous Perl one liners. And by the time you've managed to decipher what the fuck it actually does and how it works, man will have colonised other planets, Cancer will be cured and Dim bulb will have been promoted to manager due to his clean and readable code.

You will answer to him in the future. He will also be fucking your wife behind your back.

ohnohesretarded.pl
You don't save one-liners.

because yknow it's not like C and C++ are the langs used for web browsers, image editors, game engines, etc. or anything...

They're both boomer languages

Learn Perl6, start out by parsing the OCR of the local Yellow Pages with builtin Grammars

Ruby reminds me of that guy from Hannibal...
>it puts the variable on its stack

>Perl 5 is dead.
>Perl 6 was stillborn.
Perl 6 is scam
Perl 5 is good