/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1520520235031.jpg (398x500, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkfun.com/
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=473&invol=207).
guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/04/harper-lee-kill-mockingbird-copyright)
torrentfreak.com/mpaa-banned-from-using-piracy-and-theft-terms-in-hotfile-trial-131129/).
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2018-10/msg00001.html
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
lwn.net/Articles/769110/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>posting copyrighted images you dont have the permission to post

>not posting copyrighted images you dont have the permission to post

Attached: 1520205616223.gif (200x150, 474K)

>making a /gnu/ thread and not following copyright law

Find the copyright in this image, there's none.

>ThinkFun
Logo is copyrighted
The cover is copyrighted
You didnt have permission to modify the image.
You didnt have permission to post the image.
>thinkfun.com/
>Copyright © 2018 ThinkFun, Inc. All Rights Reserved

ubuntu wifi is unstable and doesn't keep connection
intel ultimate n 6300 agn is my wifi card
don't know how to fix issue

The use of modified copyrighted images is fair enough to be considered free speech, it's totally legal in this use case.

Laws that oppress people have no moral authority.

Attached: 1410134364106.jpg (1008x566, 48K)

Your precious gpl is copyrighted.
Never knew that did you?

Try playing around with the wifi Linux module.

Copyleft is a hack made to kill Copyright.

It's called play their game, you can't copyright troll what's copyrighted.

>Fair use
And yet, the original author ultimately decides what is done with their originally work.
(remember when nintendo shut down a youtubers negative critique of their game, despite the video and post was "fair use"?)

Typical freetard behavior. Can't actually do shit, so steal from others instead.

#REKT

>BUT CHANGING IS NOT ALLOWED
GPL BTFO
You arent playing shit.
fsf has done nothing to prevent copyright from existing in the 40 years its existed.

Attached: LOLGPL.png (1172x247, 16K)

The supporters of a too-strict, repressive form of copyright often use words like “stolen” and “theft” to refer to copyright infringement. This is spin, but they would like you to take it for objective truth.

Under the US legal system, copyright infringement is not theft. Laws about theft are not applicable to copyright infringement (caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=473&invol=207). The supporters of repressive copyright are making an appeal to authority—and misrepresenting what authority says.

To refute them, you can point to this real case (guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/04/harper-lee-kill-mockingbird-copyright) which shows what can properly be described as “copyright theft.”

Unauthorized copying is forbidden by copyright law in many circumstances (not all!), but being forbidden doesn't make it wrong. In general, laws don't define right and wrong. Laws, at their best, attempt to implement justice. If the laws (the implementation) don't fit our ideas of right and wrong (the spec), the laws are what should change.

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear-words (torrentfreak.com/mpaa-banned-from-using-piracy-and-theft-terms-in-hotfile-trial-131129/).

Attached: 1497281189393.jpg (2272x1704, 997K)

Hahaha uninstalling GNU right now

>There are no fair use/parody laws legislated in Japan and you must have the prior consent of the copyright owners' before you make content from that copyright owners' IP/original content.
This is about Japan laws not about the rest of the world laws, you can and should make use of the free speech.
You can always create a new license if you need, also, do better and don't copyright.

Are you actually retarded or are you baiting?

>change GPL text to BSD text
>make software proprietary
>control and restrict the planet with your binary

Attached: 1540028164165.png (1366x768, 1.45M)

>This is about Japan laws not about the rest of the world laws, you can and should make use of the free speech.
Jow Forums servers are located in the USA, california to be exact. Thats why the FIRST FUCKING GLOBAL RULE IS
DONT BREAK ANY USA LAWS.
Nice try freetard.
>license
But why is the fsf so cowardly that they have to copyright the gpl license its self? Isnt copyright morally wrong and the fsf is violating every users freedoms using it.
HYPOCRITE MUCH?

go to fsf.org and find the gpl licenses its copyrighted, you cannot modify it.
Thats violating my freedoms

You're stupid, senpai. Now, that's not a bad thing at all, maybe you have a huge dick or other qualities, you will do it, but just not in tech. Do the right thing and find a hobby that suits your skills and get happy. My best wishes.

>freetard cornered as they literally start having a mental breakdown when they find out their precious gpl is copyrighted.
>make up some bullshit without making facts or facing facts

WHY IS THE FSF VIOLATING MY FREEDOMS BY COPYRIGHTING THE GPL LICENSE?
>you cant give me a valid answer

You're claiming you can't post copyrighted images and use it as fair use, but you want to modify a license issued by FSF? Doesn't match, you don't need any freedom to be an idiot. Also you're no cool for using caps lock.

just stop, dude. you got btfo, deal with it like a man. you only make it worse

Im just calling you gnutards out for your hypocritical bullshit. You allow the gpl to be copyrighted but then you go and VIOLATE others copyright.
Which do you want to be?
a gnutard and uphold copyright laws or a pirate that does not uphold copyright laws, but if you are a pirate you wont hold any merit to your '4 freedumbs" because you're violating someones elses freedom

Pick a side.

So tell me why the gpl license is copyrighted and why you allow the fsf to violate their own 4 freedoms

>pirate
?

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2018-10/msg00001.html

Richard stallman proving again that he is nothing else than a retrograde.

Imagine helping some NPC installing GNU/Linux who will then shit on Freedom and spread slavery propaganda and communism memes.
Feels batman.

Once installed, people got a taste of freedom already. It just takes time to demand full freedom. The more you Linux, the more you GNU - Anons law.

Stealing copyrighted material and posting it without permission is piracy

>Stealing
>piracy
Okay, so you're telling us that we are using ships in order to kill people and steal their shit from other ship?

> using ships
omae wa mo shiggy do

Attached: primera-pagina-oleo-lienzo-110-x-150-cms-2008-red-copy.jpg (1200x875, 171K)

>words cant have multiple meanings

In this case, no.
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

Id rather listen to an international book that is agreed upon by the world then some pissants ramblings on his personal blag

the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
plural noun: piracies
"software piracy"
synonyms: illegal copying, plagiarism, copyright infringement, bootlegging
"software piracy"

>gnu thread
> some pissants ramblings on his personal blag
Gently fuck off.

Im not the one violating ThinkFuns copyright or freedoms, you gnutards are.

Explain why the gpl licenses is copyrighted. Why is fsf so afraid of someone editing their licenses? Isnt that violating the modification freedom?

Read those fucking replies.

>asinine bullshit somehow has merit.

GPL is copyrighted.
This violates the gpl freedoms of modification

You can link all you fucking want nothing said in this thread nor on fsf or stallmans blog support violating the modification freedom of gpl on to gpl its self

You need to explain your self

1. check wallet for monies
2. go to PC store
3. buy a USB wifi dongle which doesn't shit on freedums. Atheros chipset recommended.

>gcc documentation contains the text of GPL
>changing GPL is not allowed, so gcc docs are under a GFDL with invariant sections license
>which is nonfree under DFSG
>mfw ihnfw debians face when gcc documentation is technically non-free

Imagine accusing someone for copying my code and implementing at their program, and then at the trial they simply change the license to whatever thing benefit they, simply because it wasn't copyrighted and they claim you were using their license.

He was talking about NPCs. The moment they encounter the smallest mishap or hiccup they go back crying to forced windows updates, 2GB printer drivers and installers with embedded adware.

Could I get some assistance with aliasing?

I'm doing a fair amount of dding at the moment and keep forgetting to put the "status=progress" at the end of the command.

Is there a way to alias the command with all the arguments?

alias dd="dd status=progress"

>The more you Linux, the more you GNU - Anons law.
The more you Linux, the more you want BSD.

Now this is what I call shitposting. Well memed, haha.

>hates copyright
>copyrights licenses
>PROHIBITS FROM MODIFYING LICENSE THEREFORE VIOLATING THE MODIFICATION FREEDOM

>imagine someone copying my code
You dont care if people copy ""your" "code"" because denying them that right to copy it is violating the gpl and all that it stands for, morally

So are you going to agree you're a hypocrite or keep posting more asinine bullshit to try and cover your ass(you cant)?

lwn.net/Articles/769110/
lwn.net/Articles/769110/
lwn.net/Articles/769110/

I installed plasma through pacman -S plasma-meta.

How do I remove it?

pacman -Rs plasma-meta doesn't work.

Arch is for advanced users only.

You didnt install it then
do pacman -Qi plasma-meta

Help me join your elite club

My bad. I installed the plasma group not the plasma-meta.
I'll show myself out.

Why's there no way to adjust monitor brightness in Linux without installing extra crap?

Attached: 1483126418955.png (1026x1080, 784K)

Because Linux can't do brightness.

What's so hard about it?

There is something in /sys about it. I forget what it is.

Just follow the road, install Gentoo, install GuixSD and somewhere at the top of the mountain you install Debian.

Debian restricts the users' right to accept non-free licenses

If it did, it would still be FSF endorsed, so no.

Will that add the arguments to the command?

@68177298
What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no (You)'s and may God have mercy on your soul.

help me! I just installed ubuntu 18.04 and the kde plasma desktop. i also installed the awesome wm for coding and stuff without gui distraction. after logging into awesome to test and then going back, all of the icons in plasma are missing! god im so frustrated. im also kinda a linux n00b so be gentle

How's it freedom if you aren't free to choose?

>never used Debian before, the post

>literally just requires you to put the word "non-free" in a config file
wow it's fucking nothing

>How's it freedom if you aren't free to choose slavery?

Attached: 1539725425439.png (416x435, 90K)

I would recommend using KDE Neon over Kubuntu
Its recommended not to install more than one DE/WM at a time.

that won't help with installing the Monkey's Audio Codec or building a FUSE module to handle RAR archives

oh ok thanks it helps a lot

This is going to be a stupidly difficult one, but hopefully someone can help.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB stick. I've managed to get it to work on a Raspberry Pi, but that's too slow to really be of any use to me.

I'm trying to install it on my Tinkerboard, but not having much success. Any assistance?

Nah, multiple WM's are fine, it just gets funky with multiple DE's since that's the stuff that goes deep through the system.

Linus is the colonel.

>search for "christ reborn" on Google
>first result is literally Richard Stallman

lmao

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-22-23-50-58.png (720x912, 203K)

You should use a search engine that doesn't spy. Try DuckDuckGo or searX.

xrandr

"""
We used to joke that our goal was "Total World Domination", but it
really wasn't a joke. We achieved that goal, Linux really does rule the
world. All companies use it, contribute to it, and it has ended up
making the world a much better place because of all of us working on it.
"""

sure, bro. linux is still nowhere when it come to gaming on pc (microsoft windows) and console (microsoft windows and freebsd)

Attached: linuxlel.png (1500x1500, 619K)

xrandr does software brightness tho

holy shit, it actually is
Does this mean I'm going to hell if I don't install emacs?

Attached: st_ignucius.jpg (220x192, 35K)

Linux is a kernel, a program in a system.

Then reach your sheetos and shit stained little hands up your monitor and change the fucking brightness

yeah, and? what's your point?

>what is vulkan
>what is proton
>what is dxvk

And it links to reddit "vote this up because google search results..."

Excuse me, but I don't think I allowed you to interject. Not even for a moment.

is GNOME 3 the best keyboard-only fully featured DE?
I have only 4GB of ram but I am too lazy to set up a WM and XFCE and MATE are a bit too mouse pushy for me.

Attached: 1540241945126.png (654x526, 68K)

>what is proton
>what is dxvk

CPU cycles wasters?

Pleasing chuckle.

Attached: 1396650851235.jpg (251x251, 6K)

Based Reddit

>cant even troll right
It would be GPU cycle wasters.
Now fuck off and read a doc or two

If GNU/Linux was used on game consoles the available source code would mean there would be emulators everywhere. They use BSD not because it's somehow better for gaming, but because it has a cuck license.

>tfw linus is back, but you get no replies b/c nobody clicks your link
fuck this straight earth