Video games are the ultimative bait to compromise our freedom, privacy and security

Video games are the ultimative bait to compromise our freedom, privacy and security.

What can we do about it?

Users: Are sandboxes a solution?

Developers: Why don't you free the software, but sell the assets?

Attached: 1540127104933.jpg (1440x1410, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counterfeit-Lugaru-on-Apple-s-App-Store-developing
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Games are "digital art". I don't mind that they're free or proprietary. As long as it's drm free and not connecting to internet i can use them.

Steam is just pure drm.

I was about to make a post just about this. I have a librebooted ThinkPad and try to use exclusively free software on it. Recently I've been feeling tempted to install some non DRM propietary games on it. How much would I be compromising if I installed, for example, Factorio? I can understand why it can be bad to use propietary software as your OS or for communication, but are propietary games that bad?

I just use ThePirateBay.

you could stop being such a faggot

And as always, your opinion doesn't matter unless you show your feet.

Yes,
First game are proprietary, then steam and other client, then discord to have friend, require modern hardware full of proprietary bullshit which require the Lastest drivers full of bullshit feature....
And I am not even talking about the massive amont of informations you have to give to buy game and play on line.

>Developers: Why don't you free the software, but sell the assets?
blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counterfeit-Lugaru-on-Apple-s-App-Store-developing
Such a wonderful idea. What could possibly go wrong?

>Steam
>Ever
I use GOG.

I used to do this with open source games on the play store.

Might as well ask why all people just don't make games themselves

Install Windows 10.

Whenever RMS says free software he means free as in freedom not free as in free beer.
That means you're still allowed to sell free software with the GPL license right? But what's the point of selling your game if anyone can download the source code and compile it? Does Stallman even have an answer for this?

Install steam on Flatpak.
This way it's sandboxed plus it would be a more stable platform.

Actually yeah. gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

Everything

Also add me on steam so we can play factorio

Gameboycolorbatterydead

privacy on the internet in any form is a meme

There's also a CIA GLOW IN THE DARK NIGGER in the upper right corner spying on everything from above.

The thing is, no matter how you differentiate proprietary games and proprietary software, it's software that runs on your computer and does who knows things, mostly collect data and send it back home. That's virus behavior. That's simply not acceptable. As long as it's like this, games belong into a VM where they can't do any harm or into the trash.

Nigger

What is the point of selling proprietary games when someone is going to download unauthorized copies of it?

I don't really have Factorio or the time to play it currently, but I'm getting it one of these days for sure.

THE MADMAN

>Steam is just pure drm.
no
steam does provide drm but it isnt required when a dev puts their game on steam so many games on steam are drm-free. theres lists around somewhere

still gotta install it through a service. Also, AFAIK, you can play on one account only on one device at a time.

GOG is better in this regard, I can buy shit for myself and share the .exe setups with all around me.

>you can play on one account only on one device at a time.
for the drm-free games you can play on as many devices as you want at once as long as you dont have steam running on the other devices. you will lose any steamworks functionality though

>GOG is better in this regard
yes

Nice, you just described Unity and Unreal, and why they have been such a game changer to the game development business. Good work OP.

Protip, fewer and fewer development teams write engines this day and age. In a decade, no game companies will write engines.

why are they wearing modern clothes