/spg/ - Smartphone General

Honor Magic 2 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: IMG_20181022_105535.jpg (1823x1242, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13318/huawei-benchmark-cheating-headache
google.rs/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/pixel-cam-hdr-s8-exynos-nougat-t3729169/amp/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-global-128gb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

reminder that recommending phones without a headphone jack is discouraged

Compact phone!

I'm retiring my Xperia Z3 Compact and I need something like it size-wise.
What are the options?
Is there something more on the cheap side (

Kirin 980 or SD845?

Their battery isn't good enough.
I want something like Nokia C3 that used to survive more than one week in standby.
I'm OK with an old phone, something from 2012 or 2014.

Context:
>I'm looking for a phone with good battery and physical QWERTY keyboard. Any suggestions?

How do I transfer MP3s to an Android phone? Every time I try to click and drag my local music folder to my phone's music folder it starts transferring files and then just stops completely on its own.

Attached: 1535648095091.jpg (711x681, 214K)

Very lossy USB cable

I believe the kirin is better overall

huh?

iPhone SE or XZ1 Compact

lol exact same thing happened for me on my Nexus 6P but it's completely fucking dead now, can't even start it. Sucks because I had some cool photos on there an text messages from my dad who is now dead
I think im waiting for the OP6T

>literally Mi Mix 3
What a coincidence

I'm really unsure what to buy in the near future. Fucked up my Samsung S7 edge pretty good, glas on the back is broken, it gets hot while charging. It gets hot while in my pocket, notifications don't work reliably anymore. You get the idea

What I need:
Good batterylife
Good camera
Possible custom ROMs
Able to play some games
Decent screen
No bloatware
rSAP if possible
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Budget: 600€ +-50
Samsung is out for me, third phone that gets slow/hot over time.

Got some suggestions in the last thread. Looking for long term experiences with OnePlus devices. Also: is rSAP dead in modern phones?

>tfw still on my comfy OG mi max
>kinda feeling the upgrade to new shiny stuff itch
>newer mi max would really just be the same but maybe like 20% better in terms of performance/battery/screen quality
I guess getting oreo would be cool, but it doesn't seem necessary. I feel like smartphone manufacturers aren't really improving anything substantial these days. Also the battery has only degraded to 90% of its original capacity so even that is fine with this battery life.
I guess a flagship with nfc and a more usable camera would be cool, but then you get some fragile piece of shit with a glass back and no headphone jack.
So for now I'm just holding on to this thing until it breaks or they somehow come up with the perfect phone. Anyone else decided to do the same?

Attached: Screenshot_20181020-224027.png (1080x1920, 60K)

fuck off faggot
fpwp

Can you install pixel camera apk on huawei phones to get good pictures? I remember reading that it only work on SD835+ chipsets but I'm not sure if its true.

and you would be wrong
GCam only works on snapdragon devices, 8XX SoC isn't a requirement just has to be a 64-bit snapdragon chip

the kirin has much better scores, unless they're lying again?

>GCam only works on snapdragon devices, 8XX SoC isn't a requirement just has to be a 64-bit snapdragon chip

Alright so I guess that makes the Magic 2 not an option. So its between the Mix 3 or the OP6T, hopefully availability will be soon on both. Want to switch from my 7+.

honestly I'm gonna buy the first phone with a switch under 250

Still looking for an answer.

you mean unless Huawei is lying again? since they were the ones who got caught cheating on Antutu by one of their engineers when they ran the test using one of their engineering tests using a different name
anandtech.com/show/13318/huawei-benchmark-cheating-headache

Galaxy A3

Note9 until until 2021.
Yes/No?

How is the Pixel 2 xl in 2018?

GCam works perfectly fine on my exynos s8+ and my friend's huawei mate 10

Really now, where did they get their ports because everything I've heard on XDA has said SD chips are required

>by one of their engineers when they ran the test using one of their engineering tests using a different name
in english please, pajeet

>pajeet
you're the moron having issues with English, so I'll speel it out for you, brainlet
>Antutu engineer tests Kirin 970 device using the exact same test, but since it's an engineering sample it has another name
>scores are significantly lower on engineering test compared to production test
>there are LITERALLY no differences between the tests except the name
plain enough English for you, Wang?

Wanted something for under 300 USD, is the nokia 6.1 good enough? that motorola phone was too tall for me

The Essential Phone goes on sale occasionally for under $300. Large screen, small body.

Can vouch for the essential phone. If you are looking for pure android with a good all around phone its really nice. Only thing that sucks is the camera and reception if you are on Tmobile (I think?)

I am traveling in the US atm, and I dropped my redmi note 3 in water. It looks like it might be wrecked. What is a cheap phone I can get to tide me over for the next 2 weeks?

Search for LanXchange on playstore provided you have WiFi at home.

is it really worth going beyond 720p on a smartphone? the screen is most likely too small to notice

The smaller Pixel 1/2/3. They're probably the best compact smartphones right now. If you love Apple, the iPhone 8 is good. Honestly Sony has really lost their way, I wouldn't recommend their phones.

google.rs/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/pixel-cam-hdr-s8-exynos-nougat-t3729169/amp/
this is where I got it from

How long does it take to get used to ugly Samsung software? I want to buy a top tier flagship phone, visuals and software are my main priority

interesting, and the Huawei?

Umidigi One Pro, under $200 and has global bands, but you have to order off eBay

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a similar phone that I could get in a brick and mortar store?

just do it over wifi
run nginx on your LAN and download the files with a web browser or anything, really

Depends on where you are but the closest thing you might get would be a Nokia 6.1 but that's going to be over $200

to add to this, most b&M's won't have shit for selection, maybe moto g6/g6 play/e variants but unless you live in a location with a fry's, microcenter, or nyc and can go to b&h, target and Walmart would be the only other ones and they both have shit for choice

I used to keep Primitive FTPd on my phone just to avoid dealing with cables.

so the Gcam apk lets your phone shoot the way pixel 2 does? Even the slow motion and junk?

Get an old Nokia E-series or a Blackberry then.

>buy new phone
>spanking sexy 1440p OLED sharp as fuck
>fast and smooth, nothing hangs and loads fast because of ton of ram
>notice digitizer fucking up 4 days later
>return
>back to old 720p shit laggy phone

Attached: 1440520632383.png (270x270, 156K)

Might be worth it to try replacing the battery, might get it to wake up.

Is it worth waiting for the oneplus 6t or should I just go for the oneplus 6? As the 6t will cost more

>thinking of getting the xiaomi mi 8 128gb
>no sd slot
>current going on 4 year old phone doesn't have a sd slot
>main reason i'm buying a new phone is i'm running out of memory on my 32 gigs
Its gonna happen again isn't it? "nah man 32 is enough and gonna be for a while" and 4 years later i'm in a world of hurt.

just get the 6 if you like having a headphone jack

interesting, i love the size and price, just hate that notch. it even still has a chin. will consider it, thanks

nah man, 128 is enough and gonna be for a while, trust me

No need for a headphone jack, mine is broken since I dropped my S7 edge a few month ago never missed it

Great! i'm gonna buy it! and regret it in 3 seconds because is a shit phone.

Wait for OP6T. I don't see the point getting the OP6 now, a week before its successor is launched.

How is the pixel 2 xl? Is the screen that atrocious?

I need to get rid of that piece of shit software crashing bag heater that my S7 has become. But I think you are right and I will have to wait for two more weeks.

>1440p OLED sharp as fuck
Samsung ships their devices internally with 1080p. This is unnecessary and unnoticeable.
Why? Is the Snapdragon 845 and a DCI-P3, HDR10 AMOLED not good enough for you? Don't like MIUI? AOSP custom ROMs are available as well. Yeah, plenty of things to get disappointed by.

Huge as fuck notch.

128gb of memory is not that much nowadays and I cannot find the 256gb anywhere.

>Huge as fuck notch.
And? It can be disabled and even better so by an AMOLED panel.
>128gb of memory is not that much nowadays and I cannot find the 256gb anywhere.
Really? How would you fill almost all 128 GB?

XZ1 compact is probably the best you'll get. The X compact is supposed to be shit, so skip that.

Z5 compact can probably be found for cheap, but that ones getting on the older side as well.

I have the XZ2 compact and wish I got the XZ1

is it possible to fix a bootlooping LG G5? I really liked using that phone and my Zenfone feels like a major downgrade from it.

Yeah, disable it, have extreme burn in at the top and you can't see any notifications because the notch is so fucking big.
I'm not complaining about all notches, but the Mi 8 notch is ridiculous.

LG's phones sure are nice when they don't keel over and die. Would've used my Nexus 5X for another three years at least.

>Really? How would you fill almost all 128 GB?
Music on my phone is 5gb and thats just because I don't allow myself to use more, music I cannot find on spotify, I only have the most necessary apps because I don't have room, 4k recording, pictures, a couple movies, couple shows(inb4 just use neeetflix loool), games(not bitch ass things like fornite and stuff).
But most importantly, i'm not buying the phone to use today and tomorrow, it has to last me 3 years, in 3 years 128 is gonna be the entry level just like 32gb is now for budget phones.

Send them over with KDE Connect or sync them via your private cloud storage server. You do have one, right?

which xiaomeme phones work in the us

They'll all work over here, silly. Just a matter of them connecting to your phone service.

Mi Mix 2/2S--full LTE
Mi 8--full LTE
Mi A2--B2,4,5 only
Redmi Note 5--B2, 4 only

this
i now carry around a fucking ipod for music
bt headphones suck
you're the real faggot

If I can get into recovery then is it possible to install a rom and have it work again?

>Mi8 6gb 128gb for 515USD
fuck thats good

not really. It might work again briefly, but then it will die again. Once the bootloop hits, the device will not be reliable ever again.

>literal no u post
pathetic, but expected from an autist

I'd add that only Mi Mix 2/2S are compatible with Verizon.

Is it though?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-global-128gb

I mean is official from the Xiaomi store in my country, with warranty and all. I'm afraid of using other places and getting a rock.

Regular O+6 cheaper after 6t is released?

Ok, considering that it's probably a good deal then. A proper warranty is always nice to have.

>have extreme burn in at the top
If you have automatic or near maximum brightness on all the time, sure.
>and you can't see any notifications because the notch is so fucking big.
I believe there are fixes for this on XDA.
>But most importantly, i'm not buying the phone to use today and tomorrow, it has to last me 3 years, in 3 years 128 is gonna be the entry level just like 32gb is now for budget phones.
How exactly did you conclude this?

>How exactly did you conclude this?
in 2015 64 was the premium, 32 was the standard, 16 was the budget.
in 2018 512 is the premium, 128 is the standard and 64 is the budget.
in 2021 is gonna be 2tb premium, 512 standard and 128 budget.

Ram is gonna go nuts next year, expect phones with 16gb of ram soon.
The new Mi Mix 3 is going nuts with 10 already in a few months.

should i care about moto mods? i can't have them working if i'm on custom rom, right?

>I believe there are fixes for this on XDA.
>yes, buy this $400 phone and install some pajeet mod just so your phone can work as it normally should

I'm not saying all of their phones are bad, as the Mix 2S is (on paper at least) is one of the best smartphones of 2018, but the Mi 8 just sucks hard.

What do you think about s8/s9? How's the rooting situation for these phones? Are there better options for rooting with same small form factor and screen quality?

No. OP6 is discontinued so the price remains the same or rise up.

What screen protector for s9?

Attached: 1525985614005.jpg (2048x1536, 868K)

which model? Z2 Play power pack mods work on resurrection remix

You're fucked on rooting s8/9 with snapdragons.

What if I make sure to get a exynos one

roll

100%

6gb of ram. Enough for how many years?

At least ten, I'd wager. We've reached the point where big incremental increases are no longer necessary.

My htc M8 is fairly usable except for keeping a charge that would get me through a workday.
Should I get 95€ refurbished M8 again (3yr warranty) or is there anything else I can buy while I wait for something good to come (trying to lay low during the notch fuckfest).

Just got approved for the interest free loan from Samsung.
Do I sign the documents and send them back?
It's a Note 9 512GB

>taking a hit on your credit for a fucking phone

Attached: 1530934837547.gif (170x207, 80K)