Is anyone good at repairing pic-related...

Is anyone good at repairing pic-related? A friend of mine who's house was raided for steroid sales gave this to me but it won't boot up. It belonged to his wife. They bought it in March 2007 from Apple Store. Upgraded it to 2gb ram, it had core2duo, was running OS lion. It powers on, but nothing appears on the LCD and it starts spinning a disc that's caught in the SuperDrive really fast. Do I need to tear this thing down to get the disc out and to make sure the LCD is still good? This Mac was given to me for free so I'd like to at least get it to work so I could use it for basic shit. And I think it looks cool.

Attached: IMG_0851.jpg (594x526, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PaVPWOzC6WM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

if anything gut it and use the monitor

most slot loading drives have an eject button at the edge of the slit that you can press with a paperclip. Try an external monitor and see if you get a picture, you're going to need a mini DVI adapter

>macshit
Found your problem.

Lol I know but it's free. I'd like to fix it for the hell of it

Will a flathead screwdriver work? It looks like I need an old school FireWire cable to plug in a different monitor.

I'm not even sure if the LCD works or not. The computer powers on but doesn't boot. The screen stays black but the disc drive starts spinning fast as shit

Sure. And no, you need a mini DVI cable or adapter.

Fuck that. Do this:
1. Unplug for 10 seconds
2. Plug in but don't turn on
3. Hold down left mouse button
4. Power on and keep holding mouse button.
Disc should spit out, no gay paperclip required.

I'm ready to just take this whole fucker apart. If I can get that disc out (which btw belongs to the police lol) I have the original Apple OS discs that came with this piece of shit back in 2006.

Attached: IMG_0852.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

give it back, dewayne

It has a Bluetooth mouse Mighty Mouse lol. Will that be okay?

I forgot about that. He doesn't even need to unplug it, just reboot.

Make sure to reseat the display's cables. Also if you've got any other Macs you can use them in Target Disk Mode as drives for the iMac.

>Will that be okay?
Of course not fuckwit. Plug in a real mouse.

>He doesn't even need to unplug it, just reboot.
It can be hard to know if it's really off if you don't have display.

youtube.com/watch?v=PaVPWOzC6WM

If it's paired beforehand, yes. Apple's bluetooth modules identify themselves as HIDs before loading their specific drivers, so you can use the keyboard and mouse in the boot menu, in Windows before it loads the drivers, or in Mac OS 9 on PowerPC Macs.

Fuck that. I wanna see what disc is stuck in there. This was his wife's desktop she used for email and dumb shit. The cops took it for 2 months then returned it. It came back with a disc lodged in it and not working. I'm trying to see what the hells going on with it. What disc is stuck. She swears there was no disc in it when they raided the apartment. Who knows?

boot it up and hold "alt" it will show all bootable devices

Apparently the "Mighty Mouse" pairs as soon as the Mac powers on.
Fuckwit?

sounds like repairing a shitty desktop isn't your first priority

These had a common problem where the capacitors went bad, killing the display. You should open it and checked for puffed caps.

I have no LCD. It stays blank. That's why I'm thinking about doing a tear down. How could the cops have fucked up a perfectly working Mac that bad. Apparently he got all his shit back and this was the only one that was dead.

Damn that's good to know. I think I'm gonna have to open it up regardless at least to get the disk out and see if the LCD is shot. I'd like to get this thing to a working level at least. Maybe give it to my 6 year old daughter with nothing but CS3 on it. I still have a CS3 install disc lol

The only other Mac I have is a mid-2011 with a thunderbolt to external monitor cable. I don't have any older firewire cables to fit this Mac

Those were the G5s, the Intels had failing ATi X1600 graphics chips, which also killed the display.

Would it be killed instantly? This Mac was supposedly working perfectly before the police. It sat on the same desk from 2007 until 2017 when the cops took it