ITT: things tech illiterates believe

ITT: things tech illiterates believe

>overclocking ECC RAM is not allowed because faster clocks somehow disable the ECC magic thingamajig
>factory-overclocked gaming RAM based on the same dies is safe though because it's got ULTRA SNIPER heatspreaders

Attached: 1474596231441.png (389x386, 312K)

Jow Forums

>xeon processors are good for gaming
Fucking laughed in my friends face when I found out he actually bought a xeon.

Which Xeon? The unlocked e5-1650s are actually were pretty good for gaming (especially since they sold for cheap on the second hand market).

I don't remember, but it had equivalent performance to my i3 at the time. This was some six years ago.

I DONT EVEN HAVE ECC RAM IS IT EVEN WORTH IT CUNT?

I remember some gaming website recommending a 7820k for a 3k gaming pc building

Depends. I liked ecc when I used to use ramdisc a lot.

>Linux is a virus
(Believe it or not, I know some people who actually said that)
>using tor is dangerous
>you need an antivirus
>edge is a reskined internet explorer
>any old hardware is bad
>flashier looking PCs run faster
>installation wizards are easier than the command line

edge may not be just a reskinnned E3 but its still garbage

Attached: 1535129330177.jpg (250x211, 5K)

What are some good uses for RAMDisk? it used to be easy to put web browser disk cache on there but now the fuckers hide thousands of different files all over the disk that get written constantly, PITA.

used to run games in ramdisc, but now modern games are huge, ssds have gone down in price, and I don't really play vidya anymore.

what cartoon is this from?

Boku no pico

Fist of the North Star

Attached: burn.jpg (1280x960, 270K)

I have a xeon 1231v3 for gaming. Performs like an i7 4770 but paid the price of an i5 for it at the time. It has no igpu tho but i don't need that

I'd fist her north star if you catch my drift.

Attached: 56b7072a4c1d6542b40876e00c147f7b.jpg (1600x1254, 528K)

>What resolution is that image?
>I think 480p
My brother actually said that.

>overclocking ECC RAM
Why?
>Take this thing built for stability and make it unstable

Attached: wut anime - smug.jpg (409x395, 38K)

Found one of the retards.

my E5-2679v4 with 20c/40t @ 3.2GHz does pretty well paired with a 1070Ti.

My friend bough an HP gaymen PC with a 6-core Xeon in 2012. I can remember him making fun of /v/ for making fun of him for having a hexacore gaymen PC

>generalized statement about an entire line of processors
wew looks like we found the real tech illiterate

>you can't gaymin with xxx cpu

>what will you do when machine learning is able to do your job?
Yikes

>OC ECC
wat, i have never heard someone say that ever. They don't make it because it's mostly for server shit and for someone who wants to buy 128gig+. They sell them in single sticks so you can just buy 20-200 at a time.

It's a cost/performance thing as well. if you are gonna buy 3200mhz ECC you might just as well of bought a better CPU. It adds up, the only people interested are just home enthusiast which is nowhere as big as enterprise.

>heatspreaders

They probably think the heat speader helps, not just because it's a gaming heatspreader

>if you are gonna buy 3200mhz ECC you might just as well of bought a better CPU
What stops you from buying the best CPU _and_ ECC RAM?
>i have never heard someone say that ever.
lurk more or try duckduckgo

Please, the vast majority of Xeon processors do not have the single-thread performance of the i series.

ITT: Things OP believes
>people buy ECC to overclock it and not for stability

False dichotomy.

>On location servers are more secure than cloud computing

Literally what the dead of IT says at the company I work at

Attached: 1514673614314.jpg (900x968, 209K)

Head*

>installing software by running random executables from the web is better than using a package manager
>the desktop environment is a significant part of the operating system
>Adults can play video games, too
He is correct in some respects.

If the server is on the same network as everyone in the company, that's a big problem
Also can you explain why cloud computing is "less secure"

botnet

>If the server is on the same network as everyone in the company, that's a big problem
I thought you just said on location servers? Why are you bringing this up now?
>Also can you explain why cloud computing is "less secure"
Depends how much you trust the people maintaining the "cloud" servers, I suppose.

We have a server room in our company that all the computers are connected to, I really really wanna switch to a cloud service, but the head of IT is in my way, I can bypass him by going directly to the chairman, but I want to have all the evidence that cloud computing is more secure (the cloud computing provider is a trusted one and is the biggest in the country) or we might just use Amazon

Overclocking ecc ram isn't allowed, because supporting cpus don't tend to support it.

>don't tend
= some do.

But chairman, if they screw up we can sue them.
But if our company fails we can't sue ourselves.

Low-end Xeons ARE good for gaming, though. Performance-wise they're basically equivalent to an i5/i7 of the same generation, except with slightly lower clocks.

>factory overclocked
nigga what

All ram starts of with the same speed, and manufacturers (g. skill, corsair's, team, and etc.) bin, over clock them, and attach a heat shield then sell them.

I understand what he means but it's technically wrong.
RAM get's specified for specific clock rates and timing, there is no thing as "factory overclocked"

>RAM get's specified for specific clock rates and timing,
Gets binned
>there is no thing as "factory overclocked"
Well technically the end user is overclocking the ram... is this what your point is?

In one sense, overclocking makes even more sense for ECC RAM, precisely because it can actually detect instabilities without suffering from them.

Samsung B-die ECC RAM can be overclocked rather consistently at no risk whatsoever because ECC notifies you when the timings are too tight

xeons are amd's equivalent in intels line up
>no igpu
>3 generation behind single core
>moar cores lmao

>dat smile
Welp, time for a rewarch.

Attached: a.jpg (780x703, 170K)

Attached: shitpost-3.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

Th-thanks...you too.

Room temperature IQ post.

he's not wrong though