IT Jobs in Japan

Does anybody here have experience with working as a software engineer in Japan? I just came back from Japan and while I was there I mentioned to someone that I was a C++ programmer and he offered me a referral for the company he was working at after reviewing my resume. He even said that they'd setup my visa and take care of my housing situation. The thing is I have no idea what the work culture is like over there as an SE and I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with it.

Attached: consider.jpg (2953x3508, 544K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=po8IPh64rVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck off to faggot.

You're absolutely mother fucking retarded if you take a software job in Japan

I worked years as minimum wage web developer and yet I'd still take that over the shitty Japanese wagges and soul draining hours. Fuckin weeb

i hope you take a job at japan for what good you're worth

Depends on the company. Some are pretty similar to western companies and others are like soulless Japanese businessman companies.

SE is NOT one country and the (work) culture varies a ton.
Japan has a terrible work culture and software developers aren't particularly in demand.

>soul draining hours
The company has five day work weeks.

>shitty Japanese wages
I'll admit the average salary in Japan isn't great (only about 5m yen a year I think) but hell I can't find anything where I'm at right now so it's better than nothing.

Attached: consider suicide.jpg (1280x620, 280K)

Just make sure you have plan B if things didn't work out (you didn't like the job or something).

Then do it.

Bang cute japanese muff while you're there

Attached: 1510979761735.png (640x853, 832K)

Having a salaried job in japan sounds like pure hell.
youtube.com/watch?v=po8IPh64rVM

Attached: japanese punch card.jpg (900x1200, 231K)

>working in japan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And 20 hour days. You can never be the first to go home for the day without being seen as lazy and undedicated. Bare minimum, you need to wait for the boss to go home first.

Let's say you're not japanese and you weren't instilled with shame culture your whole life.
Aside from everyone around you thinking you're a disrespectful boorish gaijin, would you actually be fired for leaving at a reasonable time if do what is asked of you?

No, because if they fired you, they'd have to justify it. You'll just be called into an office and told to hand in your resignation.

But if they're asking you to hand in your resignation they have to justify that too.

No, they're doing it behind closed doors. They'll tell you it's better this way. And they're not giving you a choice.

Is it even possible to have a white collar job in japan if you weren't scooped up straight out of school?
Most companies hire FOR LIFE, and formalized college degrees didn't really exist until 30 years ago because everyone would get scooped out straight out of school and never needed it anyway.

>work 10 hours a day all week in japan
>make as much as a teenager on minimum wage in America

Attached: 1515642998779.png (729x470, 301K)

>Jow Forums
>Having jobs

Attached: shinobu!.png (779x673, 758K)

Im here right now...

Its pretty brutal. You know those georgeous mountains, beautiful women, etc etc?

No time for that, just work.

You'll be given 12 hours of work each 8 hour day. If you don't do them, you'll be fired for incompetency.

My cousin is working in one right now in Osaka. JMAG.
They are hiring as well.
His boss is a Caucasian and they don't OT much. I think he even have to write a report stating why he is staying back if he does.

Sounds like heaven.

>Now Hiring Software Engineers
>Languages: Fortran

wat.

Attached: Nook.png (525x698, 565K)

Literally every foreigner that works in Japan leaves because their work culture is shitty. They'll treat you like shit because you're a foreigner; you can never be on the same level as them. If you're fine with long hours and a poor wage, go ahead, but know there are much better options.

Such as? And don't say California because this place sucks absolute dick right now.

>And they're not giving you a choice

What are they gonna do if you don't play along, fire you? :^)

The funny thing is Japanese people barely do any work. Unless you work for a game company (I pray for your soul) or a startup like pixiv, your 12 hour day will be endless meetings and not getting shit done. If your current job is anywhere near the SF Bay then you're in for a huge culture shock, and not because it's stressful (they don't enforce the long days for foreigners anyway, everyone just assumes you don't know).

I would do it if you don't have a large opportunity cost (like working at google/etc) and don't have a family. But you'll probably get bored and come back.

desu sili valley isnt much better nowadays.. just free meals in sili

I'd do it for the simple fact that it would give me an excuse to live in a foreign country. If it sucks then just leave because it's not like you're tied down to the culture since you're not a native anyways.

Attached: UMARU CAR RIDE.gif (540x303, 1.81M)

Dallas, Texas has a nice job market, and is dirt cheap if you're used to prices in California.

The tactic they always use in that case. Make your life a living hell sticking you with disgusting or boring tasks not related to your work. Your salary will be for cleaning toilets or sitting in a corner.

>tfw going to college in the DFW area
>tfw liked the bay area internship I had last summer
feeling pretty conflicted about this, desu fampai
I want to be able to say I make six figures so very badly

Attached: 1536186643297.jpg (600x766, 117K)

I remember reading somewhere that they would just have that employee sit in a room with just a desk and monitor and they had to stare at the monitor doing absolutely nothing for 16 hours
they just keep making him do that until he quits

Japanese work culture is among the most horrific in the world. Not only are the days long with optional (read: required) post-work drinking with your boss, but nothing actually gets done so you recieve no payoff for all the hours you put in.
>t. weeb expat who works as token white man

>post-work drinking with your boss
oh no i have to go drink alcohol and in most cases have someone else pay for it, sounds really bad :(

>JMAG
>fortran
Actually based

why would you want to spend even more time with a bunch of fags

Where work and how much booze do you drink and get comped for?

>implying you go drinking with the boss for fun

You'll be a wagecuck salaryman in Japan. The wagie memes are real

I remember one guy on /jp/ doing software programming, it was tough but still pretty good if you are a true /jp/ type instead of a delusional weeab.
His boss actually called him into the office and forced him to go on a blind date matching thing. And then kept trying to hook him up with sales women, etc. They truly view company as family and for life, which is probably a bad thing.

It's not worth it when the average shitty studio apartment in Silicon Valley costs around $2,000 a month

true, DFW probably would let me keep more in the way of disposable income
but damn, I want to break the 100k line so much

You can replace "Japan" with almost any other non west country on this globe.
Welcome to the real world.
Westerners are spoiled af.

I graduated in 2004 and moved to work in Hong Kong,my friend who tried Japan got the short end
Basically you are
>Treated like dirt
>Viewed with scrutiny
>Unrecognised effort
>Vindictive and insecure people
>Long work hours and worse,no compensation
>Average wage
>Rampant nepotism and ass backwards office politics
>Refusal to upgrade technology
>Complacency with the status quo

He bailed ship and moved to a gaijin company office there,but he said that working the previous company took off a few years of his life

Y'all niggas complaining about the hours know that silicon Valley is more Japanese than Japan in that regard, right?

I kind of want to work in asia.
Which language should I learn? Mandarin?

I'm getting tired of Canada.

Im at work right now...
Let me tell you outside of work its quite similar to the us, or at least it loses its novelty fast

You still go out to eat, get groceries, etc etc

Then again i have passable japanese, which is important if you want to do anything besides survive..

Uhhh no
Was transferred to Shanghai and find that their office culture was pretty good
There was a mix of dirty commie influence and pig capitalist tendencies
Singapore is also generally good,Taiwan has very relaxed culture full of socialization
Yeah Mandarin is a good skill,most Asian country have a Chinese diasaphora and there's boatload of negotiation with mainlanders

Do I need to pick it up before trying out for jobs there?

I really have no idea where to start looking for foreign jobs.

What are your qualifications

3 years doing machine learning/data science meme shit and another 2 doing python.

Oooofff
Kinda ignorant in those tech jobs, I only know a bit of the it department in my previous office
Try looking at a country you like and probe a well known company page

Could an external organization such as a recruitment agency benefit from this by picking up one company's burden employee and move them to another job where they would be of use?
Surely a fair amount of these people would have sufficient talent and skill to fulfill a role in another organization that requires their services and has resources to spare.

I got my position through daijob
Make sure you have a japanese style resume and cover letter
履歴書
職務歴書

Your chances go up alot having these

ah yes, the everlasting 'muh japanese work culture' meme

Its true. These guys dont leave until like 9pm every day..

Working in Japan isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be but it's not that great either. There is a huge amount of office politics not to mention you'll be treated differently and sometimes people will look down on you solely because you're foreign. Also unless you speak some Japanese, I wouldn't recommend it.

>The boss pays the nomikai
As if, keep dreaming.

Sounds more like you are working at a shit company m8

this

SV work hours:
>wake up at 6am
>realize I pay 2000$ a month for this cramped apartment
>didn't get much sleep because flat next door is shared by 6 people(lost count)
>6:30am shit shower shave done, eating granola
>6:45am cycling to the office
>7:15am arrive at the office sweaty, take a quick shower
>7:30am at desk, most of the team are here
>7:45am read all urgent things, start to work on super extremely important bugs
>9:30am daily standup
>9:45am take a break
>10:00am submit pull requests for all things I fixed
>10:05am start reviewing pull requests I am assigned to
>11:15am done with code review, moving on to work on my feature branch
>1:10pm get interrupted by product constantly
>1:35pm still interrupted by product doing mundane tasks
>2pm lunch time
>2:30pm lunch is done, walk to the nearest grocery store
>2:45pm back at work, resuming work on my feature branch
>3pm grooming session!
>4pm it's finally over! resume work on feature branch
>6:30pm feeling tired, taking a break
>6:45pm break is over
>6:50pm hackathon time
>8:00pm getting on track with this hackathon thing
>9:00pm read all emails, set remainders for tomorrow
>9:30pm leave work, cycle
>10:00pm at the gym, gotta keep yourself healty
>11:00pm leave gym, cycle home
>11:30pm arrive home, cook meal
>12:10am read some final emails/notifications, start to clock out
>12:45am sleep
>6:00am wake up!

In comparison, this is what my daily life looked like when I was working in Amsterdam:
>7:00am wake up
>7:15am shit shower shave
>7:30am finished with breakfast(ofc it's granola)
>8:00am finished with breakfast, cycling to work
>8:30am at work, I'm the first in
>9:30am I have browsed Jow Forums for an hour by now, people start coming in, socialize
>10:00am office bants and coffee
>10:15am standup
>10:30am standup done
>10:45am standup is done, start working
>12:30pm managed to fix all urgent things, time for a break, coffee and banter
>12:45pm back to work
>1:30pm lunch
>2:00pm lunch over, engage ultra focus mode
>4:00pm it worked, I managed to be productive and do quite a lot, time for a break
>4:30pm prepare for tomorrow
>5:00pm leave office, cycle home
>5:30pm at home, relax
>6:00pm cook dinner
>7:00pm dinner is done and eaten
>7:30pm vidya/socializing/gym/smoking grass/whatever
>9:30pm TV/netflix/movies/whatever
>11:00pm sleep