What are the limits of air cooling?

what are the limits of air cooling?

Attached: thermalright1_big.jpg (1600x1200, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

airtop-pc.com/product/airtop-d/
youtube.com/watch?v=EM2G5vLGcQQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

4.99999GHz

Theres probably a specific heat and unit area that when surpassed conventional materials will fail no matter what configuration. No amount of heat pipes, no number of fins, no amount of raw thermal mass will be enough. Eventually you have the die heat itself up faster than it transfers heat into the contact surface area of the heat sink attached to it.

Air cooling would have more headroom at the extreme high end if we had a material with higher thermal conductivity than copper and aluminum.

limitless, just blow air faster to remove more heat

there is none, ultimately all your fancy water cooling and sub zero rigs are air cooled

It doesn't work in vacuum

nothing does brainlet

Diamond would work great, silver is a tad better than copper, but diamond is where it's at.

>nothing works in vacuum

ur mom's mouth does

>something in a vacuum

Attached: 1523969561963s.jpg (250x246, 7K)

>nothing does brainlet
black things work in vacuum, probably the only environment where that's true

ur mom works in black things

>works in black things
>in

Attached: 1526842147719.jpg (680x453, 33K)

fucking btfo

what black things do you think she works in?

chess pieces

before your post
>there are 12 posters in this thread
after your post
>there are 12 posters in this thread

nothing black works in an environment.

lrn2logic

The highest end one commercially available right now (NH-D15) can if the CPU has a properly soldered IHS (ie ryzen/threadripper) cool up to 250 watts of heat. This closely correlates with power consumption of the CPU itself as most power used is converted into heat. So you can at laboratory conditions (constant room temperature) cool a 32c64t 2990WX threadripper @ 3 GHz under prime95 load.

However real world loads differ greatly and forget all this with intel processors (either IHS not soldered or very poor solder material used). I would say use air cooling up to 200W to account for environmental changes in your room.

Attached: 1s9deomrlvs01.png (712x1441, 158K)

Black body radiation doesn't give a shit about your lack of atmosphere.

Also overclocking will greatly affect power consumption. 4.3 Ghz at 1.2v will get you very different power consumption than 4.3 at 1.5v.

Gay Ass Losers HAHAHAH

> 19 replies
> no airtop

LUDDITES !

They perfected the fanless pc and its called the compulab airtop. It has a xeon and decent graphics card. WANT

Attached: airtop guts.jpg (2337x1038, 1014K)

>intel
Nah, you have to risk killing the CPU deliding it and then you have to lap it. Does it come with a ryzen variant?

ambient temperature.

>Proprietary bullshit
No

>Nah, you have to risk killing the CPU deliding it and then you have to lap it

no its all done for you, you buy as is and the airtop was around long before ryzen got gud

>no its all done for you
I highly doubt it, proof?

Attached: DiamondMetal.jpg (997x602, 146K)

>the airtop was around long before ryzen got gud
That's a shame, guess it's time to look up how to do mini-itx builds. I heard a nh-12s is enough to cool the 2700x at least to 3.7GHz base frequency.

Attached: mqdefault.jpg (320x180, 21K)

NH-L12S

>2008 was 100 years ago
why even live

Depends if you're cooling an AMD or Intel processor. Intel ones don't do well with air cooling especially i7/i9.

That's because this is a piece of shit. Cooling is laptop grade so the shitty intel cpu will be constantly overheating and thermal throttling.

>I highly doubt it, proof?

ug first startpage result

airtop-pc.com/product/airtop-d/

i almost bought the first one but it didnt have nvme at the time. They fixed that and second one kicks ass [expensively]

>>Proprietary bullshit
bah the the only reason it works is that its integrated and propriety you complete asshat

Attached: ca7a4cae-b4ea-4bdf-a96b-19927ad67a3d.jpg (1452x529, 131K)

this

youtube.com/watch?v=EM2G5vLGcQQ

>ugh
>bah
roddit opinion discarded

>what are the limits of air cooling?
Core voltage I'd wager

Shill. I owned one and the cpu thermal throttled under load.

That's not how it works. There is a limit to how fast heat can transfer from the CPU through and out of the cooler. There is also a limit as to how much air can cool the cooler in relation to the temperature of the air passing over the cooler. Then there is the limit of how much heat can be removed from the cooler in regards to cubic feet of air passing over the cooler.

In a nutshell once a certain amount of cubic feet of air is passing over the cooler its not possible to cool the cooler and thus the cpu anymore by simply increasing cubic feet of air. At that point only lowering the temperature of the air itself will bring more cooling capacity.

Its possible through testing to find the efficiency of a heat sink in relation to cubic feet of air passing over it so that at a certain fan speed rpm it will be obvious more rpms won't cool the cpu. At this point if a cpu is running wide open changing the air in the room temp up or down a precise amount of degrees will show roughly the same change in cpu temp.

>at a certain fan speed rpm it will be obvious more rpms won't cool the cpu *anymore*

Attached: 1488.png (1200x828, 1.24M)

I'm sure at that point we got ourselves a furnace, not cpu anymore.

> tired of ignoramus replies
> roddit
Oh lawdy I am just laffing at your fail

Citation needed

Please post a pic i dare you. Never seen one on Jow Forums

Let's say you lived in a place that was always cold, all year around. How could one utilize this to their advantage with computer cooling?

Attached: igloo_002.jpgb95a6a48-959b-4adc-b417-65ffe9bfc483Original[1].jpg (1480x800, 249K)

Mount a big-ass radiator outside which goes directly to your computer.
Use all of the heat generated by your computers to run a Stirling engine.