React before JavaScript

I'm pretty new to front-end web development, but I did well enough in an interview that I was recently hired as an initiate developer. They're just having me do HTML/CSS for Django templates right now, but they're about to start a new React project in a few weeks and I've been asked if I would like to join the team.

This article suggests it should be possible to learn React without mastering JavaScript...

medium.freecodecamp.org/a-study-plan-to-cure-javascript-fatigue-8ad3a54f2eb1

...but it doesn't clarify how much is "enough"?

Any devs have advice on what JavaScript I need to learn before starting React? Is it possible to learn it in two and a half weeks? Note this will be my first programming language.

I'm expected to get back to them by the end of this week. Thanks.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x800, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eloquentjavascript.net/
178.62.88.124:8080/get/PDF/Douglas Crockford-JavaScript_ The Good Parts_45.pdf
jslint.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is now a half life thread

You need to be comfortable with Javascript in order to understand React.

>This is now a half life thread
The lambda means functional JS.

You don't need to be a very competent programmer to use react.js, use the three resources below. The first explains the basic principles of programming and the JavaScript language, it even has some mini projects. The second defines a subset of the JavaScript language which will help you avoid most of the pitfalls classically trained programmers wind up dealing with when they first start using it. The third is a linting tool which will tell you when you're doing stupid shit. You should be able to get through the material in 2 weeks if you put the hours in.

eloquentjavascript.net/
178.62.88.124:8080/get/PDF/Douglas Crockford-JavaScript_ The Good Parts_45.pdf
jslint.com/

No it doesn't you cancerous fuck. You don't get to coopt a generic symbol like that.

Daily reminder that javascript and react.js are both absolute garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

>you don't get to coopt a generic symbol like that
Do you not understand how lambdas relate to functional programming? This isn't a symbolic reference used just by JavaScript programmers.

>The third is a linting tool which will tell you when you're doing stupid shit. You should be able to get through the material in 2 weeks if you put the hours in.
The goal being reading them cover to cover or are there certain chapters/concepts to focus on?

Do you not understand that a lambda by itself does not mean javascript, functional or otherwise?

Cover to cover, the second can easily be finished in a day or less once you're done the first.

Of course not, it is clearly used contextually in this case you sperg.

>Cover to cover, the second can easily be finished in a day or less once you're done the first.
Possible to learn JavaScript in two and a half weeks (as one's first programming language)?

I have my schedule cleared so I could spend every evening on it.

Yes, you can do it in two and a half weeks.

>Yes, you can do it in two and a half weeks.
Thanks. I was just afraid to say 'yes' and then make a fool of myself. I'll let them know I'm in and bury myself in these books.

Wow. The programming and front-end sections of Eloquent JavaScript total to 19 chapters. That's perfect. If I can do a chapter a day, I'll just about make it in time for the project to start.

Indeed, most of the chapters aren't very long, I figure 1.5 or 2 per day is going to be your average, so you should have some time to spare. If that is the case, I would look into a basic introduction to the functional programming paradigm, it's not required to work with react.js, but it will give you a better understanding of how react works.

Also, if the company is offering you that kind of opportunity with your skillset, they are likely willing to help train and support you, so don't be too nervous and don't be afraid to ask your co-workers for help.

Good point. Still not a bad idea to come in as prepared as possible though.

>we, the JavaScript monkeys, are sick and tired of being treated like the retards we are
>let's give our clusterfuck of a language an aura of seriousness by referring to concepts we don't understand such as lambda calculus and making idiotic statements such as "JavaScript is Lisp in C's clothing"
>I mean, it has first-class functions so it's not *that* far-fetched, right?
>we're big boys, right?
>right?
>lambda!
>LAMBDA LAMBDA LAMBDA LISP
>LISP LISP LAMBDA LAMBDA LISP
>FUCKING RESPECT US
>LAMBDA, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You should at least understand basic JS before trying React. There are plenty of resources online.

>Is it possible to learn it in two and a half weeks
Yes.

>webmonkeys actually believe this

Calm down.

>This article suggests it should be possible to learn React without mastering JavaScript...
I'm not sure what you mean by 'mastering' here. You need to know JavaScript in order to use React. If you need to learn JavaScript to a point where you can comfortably use React from scratch, then no - it can't be done in two weeks. If have a good understanding of Vanilla JavaScript already, you should be fine. React isn't rocket science.

>If you need to learn JavaScript to a point where you can comfortably use React from scratch...
What would that encompass?