Snap vs. Flatpak

Which one is better?

Attached: snap-flatpak.jpg (800x343, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flatkill.org/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9n50ba/lets_see_why_flatpak_and_sandboxing_are_awesome/
flatpak.org/faq/#Is_Flatpak_tied_to_Linux_
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/blob/master/AppImageUpdate.AppDir/README.md
blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2018/08/08/gnome-software-and-automatic-updates/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both are good. But I prefer snaps.

nix

.tar.gz, and include your damn dependencies like a non-retard

AppImages

I've used flatpak once and snaps a dozen times or so. Both seem alright. Haven't looked into them that much.

/thread

PKGBUILDs

Snaps and Flatpaks are for brainlets, I hope they won't become the standard any time soon.

flatpak is supposed to be better.
That's what I read, anyways.

also post all your damn compile flags

Ok lets make installing software on linux very simple:

i get software from:
apt/dnf/pacman install
npm install -g
sudo npm install -g
pip install
sudo pip install
brew install
the arch aur
cloing random shit from github and running configure/make/automake/cmake
java shit.jar
appimage
wine fuck_me.exe
WINEPREFIX=~/that_other_profile/ wine fuck_you.exe
downloading random .deb and .rpms via the web
downloading PRINTER DRIVERS from a random rpm, converted by alien to a deb
cabal install (haskel absolutly needs its own packagemanager)
cargo install (oh yeah rust too)

docker..
systemd.. o god please kill me

and just for completness:
(dead)playonlinux
lutris scripts
steam

and then therese flatpak and snap because we hadn't had enough ways of trashing our system and getting into an unmaintainable state on desktop/laptop linux computers

but on the other hand i've never got to an unmaintainable state with this

and all those MUH SANDBOX guys out there:
yes we get it.
but i bet you a million bucks that if adobe/msoffice ever come to linux these guys will force you to install shit as root and run a permanently connected systemd job as root (for their emulated COM shit( in the background

proof is in android/ios. terrible software never dies and terrible software vendors only get bigger / seen as some kind of 'blessed' infrastructure over time.

What's this pajeet nonsense?

>PKGBUILD
>good
found the Arch npc
They are a disgusting mess that if unmaintained (and they frequently are) break.

Attached: 1539473322036.png (920x900, 443K)

appimage

Leaving this here
flatkill.org/

Back to plebbit, stupid fucking nigger. You don't know how installing means.

>appimage
It's a shitty hit peace article that's been debunked a long time ago.

Attached: 1539234596231.png (1698x3250, 547K)

link to source of that post?

AppImage >>>>>>>>>> Snap and FlatPak

Attached: AppImages rock.jpg (868x6656, 682K)

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9n50ba/lets_see_why_flatpak_and_sandboxing_are_awesome/

Enjoy your gtk apps breaking due to unsupported glib version, faggot.

Fuck off with your fake news RedHat

Both are terrible.

This.

You are a fucking idiot. Appimages are portable (archived) apps, flatpaks and snaps are both different to that. Appimages require a really old GLib version to "assume" that the distros are using. Fragile.

Neither. Use Arch.
If you have used Arch you wouldn't need to any of those pajeet technologies

I use Arch and most of my monolithic GUI apps are either snaps or flatpaks.
Fuck off.

This man speaks the truth.

Attached: 8v98tn.jpg (650x488, 49K)

YOU are the fucking idiot, Flashit and *snaps* need all even more dependencies including GLib and systemD. You are a fucking CIAnigger pushing for yet even more control for RedHat, fucking kys

Attached: 1463135342864.jpg (460x276, 25K)

Galaxy brain: Push out docker configs

None, get rid of this rubbish. Static link where you can.

brainlet spotted

Neither. Use Gentoo.

Isn't this just Docker?

Also whichever hands less influence to Red Hat.

>muh systemd
there it is
LOL

If you are a schizo go use OpenBSD or something. Systemd is the universal init suite and if your application developer wants to use it there's nothing you can do about it. At least with flatpaks you can use xdg-apps without systemd.

AppImages > Flatpacks > colon cancer > Snaps
Snaps can't even use the fucking system theme

i don't know why you have some faggots shitting on you, you're right

>no argument
You have been debunked, you can quit now.

PKGBUILD it's a shitty text file, you can review and edit them quickly. Better than Snap and Flatpak nonsense.

No he isn't. There's nothing Linux can do but restrict features if python wants to use pip3.

Debunked of what again? Ever written/maintained/contributed to a non trivial software with GUI? No? Who knew?

ARE YOU SAYING YOU ARE A FLATPAK MAINTAINER SHILLING YOUR SHIT HERE????

Flatpaks, but their API is utter garbage.

No but I maintain a non trivial gtk3 app.

>Flatpaks, but their API is utter garbage.
>No but I maintain a non trivial gtk3 app.
Then why are you shilling for flatpak again in that post? Fuck off shill

the linux foundation should have come up with an operating system long before the disappointing linux standard base. linux always desperately needed a good and sensible standard package manager, and now we have a lot of shit ones that compete in a fragmented mess.

you'll deny that fragmentation is an issue but you'd be delusional. like the guy above said, these are just YET MORE installation methods to mess up your system when they inevitably confuse themselves into an irrecoverable state. join the fucking party, guys.

Also, I want to point out that
flatpak.org/faq/#Is_Flatpak_tied_to_Linux_
is false. You can run flatpak apps on WSL, which is not real Linux.

Flatpaks are oriented towards desktop usage, which is what I care about. Snaps has a very fluid and easy to use API, but it's been ported to less distros than flatpaks afaik. Furthermore themeing support of snaps is trash, you can even notice miniature default mouse pointer theme in HDPI if you are using snaps outside ubuntu.

You shit requires too many dependencies faggot shill, fuck off

it's weird that he's shilling systemd above because he maintains some bloated grap gtk application. i fail to see what they intrinsically have to do with each other.

Well then don't be fucking brainlet and use NixOs or GuixSD.
Welcome to the 21 century

Should have just adopted pkg tools from Solaris or Slackware.

Linux is a fucking pit these days. Why would anyone distribute binaries for it? You can cover many bases and still find that swathes of the Linux community can't run your software because you didn't provide packages for _their_ system.

Authoritarians like him are toxic for the community. Is bad that people are not considering distros beyond the mainstream but they legitimately love to see how they destroy any chance of cooperation for the large community like AppImage.

I know how installing means you son of a bitch whore

he probably slipped a dependency on systemd into his shitware to annoy people. that's the sole motive.

no idea about appimage; my instinct is to call it shit.

>these are just YET MORE installation methods
dpkg, yum, tar.pkg.gz etc are package not universal management. Snaps, Appimages and Flatpaks work cross-distro, so you can say that there are 3 ways to distribute an app in distros.
Docker and WINE prefix is not meant for usual use, everyone with double digit IQ knows it.

>lol just untar the packages bro
No update mechanism, no dependency circle checking no nothing. That's not package management

>Language package managers
These are very important. And these are meant to be useful for packaging libraries, not binaries. That doesn't mean that you can't abuse pip/cabal/yarn/cargo etc. All of these applies equally to windows and mac too. I don't see anyone bitching about the so called "fragmentation" on those platforms.

These are very elementary dependencies, furthermore most distros already ship flatpak in their repo. See picture.

>write a software that builds a package and moves that into /usr/bin
>OMG ITS ANNUDAH INSTALLAH
Cry harder.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-24 05-52-35.png (546x876, 79K)

Kek, hipster neckbeard brainlet talks technology.
Consider the rope if it can even support your fat ass

>he probably slipped a dependency on systemd into his shitware to annoy people. that's the sole motive.
Sad if true

>ou can cover many bases and still find that swathes of the Linux community can't run your software because you didn't provide packages for _their_ system.
Non-issue in 2018, boomer.

I accept your defeat. Now bend over and spread your ass cheeks. Beta faggot.

>dpkg, yum, tar.pkg.gz etc are package not universal management.
no shit, nigger. something should have been, though.

>Snaps, Appimages and Flatpaks work cross-distro
not where they are unavailable. some of these depend on systemd, don't they?

>no dependency circle checking
why would you need dependency checking in containerized shite?

>These are very elementary dependencies
no, very COMMONPLACE dependencies for nigger cattle

>Non-issue in 2018, boomer.
>provide flatpak
>probable majority of linux users still can't use your software

+1 for Appimage

Attached: use-appimage-linux-800x450.png (800x450, 54K)

this is real innovation! dynamic linking rocks!

>not where they are unavailable.
Non systemd distros are irrelevant in desktops. There will always be crippled snowflake schizos that think blocking glibc/gtk/gcc/systemd is a good idea and then bitch and moan how their snowflake distro lacks compatibility. Sad, really.

If they can live without systemd they can live without flatpaks or snaps as well. No one else cares.

>why would you need dependency checking in containerized shite?
Even though they are containerized you can avoid duplication by checking if the binaries are using duplicated libraries. They are not purely containerized against each other. For example, different flatpak apps can use the same Freedesktop/GNOME runtime.

>debian
>Arch
>Redhat
Should cover ~90% of desktop linux users, so majority is not a problem.

Hybrid*. Not fully dynamic or static.

Goym, flatsnap and apppack are the future.
And the future is here, Goym
It needs systemd.

It needs a greater israel, Goym.

Mess up your OS, I'm an israeli dev on a non-random GTK '"app'"

TRUST (((US))) WE BRING YOU THE FUTURE, GOYM

Attached: amandakleinman.jpg (2048x2048, 530K)

You revel in awful software like an Indian revels in faeces.

Hi Jow Forums here, what the fuck is this shit and you better tell me before my commrades make bbc threads

Fuck off jewish shill

except for sandboxing, how are flatpaks different to winfags downloading zips with 1 .exe and a dozen .dlls inside?

At least I write software people actually use.

I like how Jow Forums calls me jewish when irl I actually beat up a jew back in college.

Attached: top-ten-smug-anime-girls_fb_7226217.jpg (300x300, 55K)

There's a shill shilling unneeded shit just because. Look ITT, he's the one telling everyone they are mad. But (((he))) is.

Fuck off, (((shill)))

Go sell your jewish trash on reddit, jew.

Nice reddit spacing. Have you really lost all your arguments or do you intend to keep red herring?

I agree with you sending him to hell but "blue board", lets keep it civil.

portable .exe apps

More like the .dmg from Macs to e exact but yes that is the idea. I was installing Icecat the other day and realized how these portable apps could help for someone wanting more than one version on his computer. Is a wonderful technology.

auto update. Appimage is similar to downloading portable apps in zip

what is this pajeet even trying to say? use nix/guix like the white man

He doesn't like tarballs because manually checking prerequisites is too hard, and they don't automatically update. However, he also got paralyzed with indecision upon realizing that simply too many choices of package managers exist.

Correction, there is an auto-updater for appimages. The good thing is that is optional, like everything else.

So what's this software that people use?

So it's almost like zipped programs with an autoupdater positioned outside the zip. Revolutionary and necessary.

>The .exe's of Linux

>autoupdater positioned outside the zip.
What kind of autoupdater are you talking about? Does it even have delta-updates? Desktop notify integration? Integration with GNOME software center/Muon?
>github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/blob/master/AppImageUpdate.AppDir/README.md
Ah, missed that. Last time I checked the Appimage's autoupdater was not ready for use.

>Desktop notify integration? Integration with GNOME software center/Muon?
!!!REVOLUTIONARY!!!

What's this program you wrote? I wish to continue not using it.

You probably can't escape me anyways, I made several patches to gtk3

Also, I like how you purposefully avoided delta-updates.
hmmm

Oh I also made patches to gtksourview too
You are FUCKED
LOL

The package manager

>No update mechanism
>auto update
what kind of twisted mind could possibly think auto updates to ANYTHING are acceptable when we have a solid 3-5 years of data saying it's a terrible idea from the biggest case study ever done, Windows 10? it's really simple,
do.not.update.without.the.users.consent.

Attached: win10installingupdates.png (650x300, 12K)

you can't convince a systemd proponent that emulating windows 10 is a bad idea

Come on, Jow Forums
blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2018/08/08/gnome-software-and-automatic-updates/

Attached: Screenshot-from-2018-08-08-18-28-34.png (574x298, 20K)

Anyway wasting effort here is not a good use of my time. I get that most of Jow Forums have no idea what they are talking about but if any fellow devs see this try to be reasonable with these kids, they mean well.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-24 07-04-28.png (464x432, 23K)

made me audibly laugh

Oops, my bad :^)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-24 07-08-18.png (464x432, 23K)

Have any of you ever been paid to do anything with a computer?

Have any of you ever been paid to do anything?

Aahh you even threat like a supreme gentleman.

Package manager of the distro I use. Both of them are crap that reeks of Windows brain damage.

Damn, what an amazing coder you are. I apologize for ever doubting you, on behalf of all of Jow Forums. Clearly, one has no ground to stand on when arguing about package managers with someone who once wrote some code for a GUI framework.

nix/guix are a better solution to this problem

ebuilds

You are

gtk3 is an utter piece of dogshit so i don't know what this cunt is boasting about

gtk3 > gtk2

>cabal install (haskel absolutly needs its own packagemanager)

I wonder why Haskell is so shit on Arch.