go to security conference

> go to security conference
> booth set up selling burner laptops
> buy dell e6510
> use as daily driver, never need another laptop
> everything upgradeable, including cpu
Why arent these laptops more popular? Everyone loves thinkpads, whats wrong with dell latitudes? Even has the nipple!

Attached: delle6510.jpg (1262x946, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Latitude
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love me some latitude. I have 2. They run nix and windows. They are tough, lean, and cheap.

Dell Latitudes are loved too. The Thinkpad thread is also for Dell Latitudes in case your never read the OP. I have 2 E6420s, one runs Win7 and other runs Debian. Comfy and good.

They can't be librebooted

>considers libreboot a positive

kek, latitudes are rekt now

(Jow Forumsprotip: if it's on Jow Forums, it's broken)

Not all but a lot the Dell Latitudes have serious build quality issues. The one that I have has rubber trim along the bezel peeling off. It should have never been designed that way in the first place. ThinkPads just use metal and plastic and avoid a lot of little rubber bits and other cosmetic garbage that ends up being a problem over time.

>not knowing about coreboot and me_cleaner
Fucking plebs.

new meme:
build quality yourself

>dell e6510

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be e6510: and there was e6510.

Latitude e's are gods computers, us mere mortals have no right to wield them

OP here
Thankfully the e6510 I picked up is all metal and plastic. No build quality issues so far in using it for 2+ years

DUDE
BUIDL QUALITY
LMAO

I had an E6510 and the build quality was atrocious. I babied the thing and things broke and cracked for no apparent reason.

Also, cooling was terrible and the CPU (I had an i7) ran hotter than the sun.

What model year?
My buddy and I bought ours at the same time 2 years ago and neither have had problems like that

>thinks (((neutralizing))) the ME is the same as completely eliminating it.
Lmaoing @ ur life tbqh

I use them at work, they're alright, fucking heavy though

>building a computer yourself
>meme
wat?

Your post has poor build quality, mate

>Using trannyboot

Trannyboot isn't the same as me_cleaner, educate yourself.

Poor word management.

They're fine laptops, I just personally don't like aluminum.

Because thinkpads have better keyboards, better construction, better trackpoints, and usually better taken care of. Old Latitudes aren't bad, but don't really compare. Internally corners were cut as well.

The e5580 work issued to me is OK but I'd rather have a t580, even if the battery life is worse.

I bought mine in 2010.

Are modern Latitudes highly module for upgrades?

I bought mine in 2010. It had an i7-820QM

Unfortunately not.

Weight, build quality, reliability, hinge problems.
Those problems are why they aren't used anymore.

I have an E6540 at work. The CPU gets absolutely ridiculously hot, it hits 95C+ at 50-60% load and the fan ramps up to 5000+ RPM. The cooling is atrocious and way, way undersized. This used to be a standard laptop which was issues to developers, so I'm not the only one who has it, every single one I've seen overheats in the exact same fashion, so it's not like there's something wrong with mine.

It does the job though and is very well supported in Linux (thankfully), so I'm not unhappy with it. If I had paid for it instead of the company, I would've been pissed that a top of the line business laptop which is meant for actual work is so woefully undercooled and throttle-prone.

According to en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Latitude
The 6540 is just middle of the road. Top of the line is the 70xx series.

Pretty sure those are portable ULV shit. They have slower hardware and are portability-focused.

I don't trust Dell.

I trust Lenovo less.

> overheats while doing minimal work

How else are you going to heat up your ramen?

OP here

Iv never had overheating problems with my laptop.
Iv run 2 VM's and firefox (ram heavy) and still not had overheating problems.
Battery life is the only limiting factor for me.

Did you actually check the CPU temperature under moderate load, or did you "not have problems" in the sense that it doesn't outright crash? Running VMs isn't very heavy if the VMs aren't doing anything CPU-intensive.

had a latitude in 2003
then I got a vostro in 2008
it's still going, but I still miss the latitude sometimes

also, guess it's soon time for a new laptop
2 GHz core2duo with 3 GB ram isn't cutting it anymore

coreboot + me_cleaner is literally a worse version of just using libreboot

libreboot ironically opens you up to spectre because the fixes are only in the stock bios update

I like small IPS displays and no numpad. I have an X230 which I like very much but what would be an upgrade to it from Dell? Is there anything with Ryzen CPU yet? I heard that Lenovo A285 has soldered RAM and the battery size can't be upgraded so they are losing their minds. Maybe I'll just have to keep mine forever. I don't like calculated planned obsolescence, things should be swappable.

Not true. Linux can apply microcode patches by itself. Updating the BIOS/UEFI with the fixes just ensures that the fix will be present on all operating systems with or without updates.

Not true. coreboot + me_cleaner allows you to run a libre BIOS/UEFI whilst still being able to run a stripped Intel Management Engine present on modern hardware. Libreboot rarely works on modern hardware because it's ubiquitous.

*because the IME is ubiquitous

test

Fuck off

test

test

>dell latitudes

hard as fuck to upgrade
t. ower of T4300 and T6400
mainly because dell likes to put there motherboards upside down, just like compaq use to do before being eaten up by HP

although I still like thinkpads and HP's better

>be nsa
>go to security conference
>set up booths with pre-botnetted "burner" laptops
>laugh at the retards buying them

>find nothing interesting
>get caught by the by the guys who do the exact same shit
>worsen reputation even further

This

I love my Precision

Attached: M4800 Speccy 10-2018.png (821x653, 134K)

Buy American, buy Dell or HP

>Why arent these laptops more popular?
Because Dell stuffs their machines full of whatever was cheapest from China that week.

Isn't that iraqi then? Iraqi plastic made out of iraqi oil?

i wish my e6410 didnt get so hot.

the exx10 series had the best laptop design ever made.

>buy E6520 i5 barebones from the local surplus yard for 50 bucks
>upgrade to i7 2630qm, 16gb RAM, 250gb EVO 850 SSD, 1080p display
>W10 Pro

Was going to use it as a hold over but it runs so well I've decided to keep it, maybe I'll drop the 2960XM in it

aka american