Visual Basic and Pascal in 2k18

So are there people that actually work with Visual Basic and Pascal in 2018? Whats the reason to use these programming languages instead of ongoing-development languages like C/C++/C#/Jave/Python etc.

Attached: download.png (225x225, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vbteam/2017/02/01/digging-deeper-into-the-visual-basic-language-strategy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't currently use Pascal, but could if I tried. It probably wouldn't matter since I hardly ever work on team projects outside of work or school. Delphi looked pretty nice.

Attached: borlandTurboPascal.jpg (667x500, 165K)

I don't see why anyone would use it like its not fast or anything or have any decent documentation for someone to start learning like python. It seems like that the current languages we use will be outdated like those older ones slowly died off with time

> not appreciating the structured beauty of Pascal.
It was designed to teach good programming etiquette. "le obsolete" is not a good argument for not using older languages like Pascal and Fortran. They were more than sufficient for the task for an entire generation of programmers.

>So are there people that actually work with Visual Basic
No, proprietary crap.
>and Pascal in 2018?
I would if I could.
>Whats the reason to use these programming languages instead of ongoing-development languages like C/C++/C#/Jave/Python etc.
Because it's better than half of these shits. I mean, C and C++ don't even have module systems, C# and Java have contravariance, a bad thing and Python has slower startup times than most Pascal programs to compile and STILL has almost no compile time checks.

Pascal knowledge will also help if you ever get a job trying to update the millions of lines of Ada code still out there.

Only reason to use those languages is to maintain old programs. There can be decent money in software maintenance, but it won't necessarily be the most fun job.

"Still" out there? If you're implying Ada is strictly legacy, you're wrong.

I'll make a GUI in visual basic to track down your IP right now user, watch yourself

>proprietary crap
Actually, Visual Basic .NET Core is free as in freedom.

Languages like Pascal, COBOL and Fortran are like the Latin and Greek of programming. It would be dumb not to at least study them, if not use them.

There are lots and lots of people who still use VB and Pascal is still used in niche applications.

VB is basically the same thing as C# these days.

Well all the reason more to learn both.

vb6

>vb6
is visual basic 6 the last version of the whole visual basic compiler and language series or there were later versions as well

It may be jibberish, but CSI wasn't entirely inaccurate. It could be possible, and a GUI would make it much easier to use.

True, but OP asked for VB.
>inb4 that's what MS calls it now
I don't give a shit what MS names things, they named the legacy shit forms modules, they don't get to name things.
Also note that MS is giving up on VB.NET since the advent of .NET Core.
Basically
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vbteam/2017/02/01/digging-deeper-into-the-visual-basic-language-strategy/
says
>We'll totally vouch for it!
Which means it's as good as buried in MS-speak.

Yes, easiest example is Total Commander, written in obj pascal and compiled by an ancient version of delphi for 32bit and with Lazarus/Free Pascal for 64bit.

Lazarus keeps Delphi 7 alive and can actually target a whole bunch of platforms.

aye, .net is next

VB6 is literally the comfiest thing to make easy GUIs with.

You just drag and drop shit on a live editor you need no coding experience in anything. Its like it spoon-feed you till you make a GUI from start to finish.

Good for amateur people that need to make their own shit themselves easy or an introduction at schools of how to make a software.
Bad if they think the world of programming is drag and drop and not a thousand lines of code to make anything decent.

NetBeans baby.

Is there a drag and drop gui IDE maker for Python as well?

if you include VBA in your definition of Visual Basic, then yes. you'd be surprised how much of the financial world relies on excel and VBA

Attached: VBA_Excel.png (515x166, 28K)

Tcl/Tk is comfier.

There were some, but most died.
That said, you can probably just use the ones for Qt and GTK.

is there a simple github repo with this shit? it seems all to arcane and can't fucking figure out this shit

Fortran is still VERY heavily used in the scientific computing/HPC community. Not to mention everyone using Numpy is using BLAS/LAPACK routines written in Fortran.