How long until you stopped feeling like an absolute brainlet leech at your first job?

How long until you stopped feeling like an absolute brainlet leech at your first job?

I'm on day two and absolutely drowning desu.

Attached: khazar.gif (320x213, 1.89M)

Are you actually clueless and incompetent or do you suffer from some made up mental inadequacy like "impostor syndrome"?

Give or take 1 month. It's all about the what ifs and curveballs that happen.

I don't have a job.

It only depends on the level of your colleagues.
Feelings of inadequacy are always relative to whoever you're comparing yourself too.
It follows from that, that you should choose careful who you choose to emulate. Aim too high while being a beginner, and you may fall into depression. Aim too low, and you'll become complacent with incompetence.
I'm sure you'll become better with time. You could start by deleting all your frogs. Good luck!

Day one. You usually realize everybody knows a lot more about your job than you, but you know way more about their than them.

bout a week

just stick it out and dont make youself look stupid

Give yourself a week or two, find a dude that knows what he's doing and is sociable, then shoulder surf him so you learn.

What job?

Tell them about your dumb frogposting hobby. They'll give you a raise.

>impostor syndrome
It's real, and a combination of two things:

1) You do tasks that are easy and logical to you, but you're actually drawing on years of experience and knowledge. You don't realize this until you see an inexperienced person struggle to do something you'd consider routine.

2) The more you know, the more you learn you know nothing.

It's part of your job to get familiar with the systems and technologies they use, and it's your teams job to get you up to speed. If you take too long (1 month+), then you're a brainlet.

What about if they throw you onto a project using technologies that you weren't even interviewed for?

My entire interview process was embedded C/C++ and questions about the ARM architecture, but they put me on a web project using Node and Python.

lmao, what the fuck. You should definitely complain. And to be honest I didn't get the impression you had programming skill already, so you're good. The guys who hired you are lying pieces of shit.

I keep being told I will get moved into their embedded stuff once I get backlogged Node/Python work done, but I'm kind of doubting it desu. I also feel like absolute shit for my mentor guy, cause I have to pester him literally like 15 times an hour to get a single ounce of work done.

This is 100% normal for every job, you should only feel bad if you're asking how to do the same task 100 times and not actually learning it.

Well, I guess you gotta just keep hoping. Make sure they're paying the salary of an embedded engineer though. Otherwise they've lied to you and just wanted a webdev.

Well if they wanted a webdev they severely fucked up cause I have literally never touched the shit prior to starting this job. Still not even sure what nginx is.

Additionally, webdev has far far far far too many abstractions for what I like to do. Why the fuck do I need 4 different languages, 15 styles of markup and 3 different servers running for one API to work?

What the fuck?

Let me flip some bits and turn on some LEDs ffs

Six months.

It's totally a real syndrome. I keep getting commended even though I've always thought I was bad at IT. It's just insecurity stemming from my shit parents and for me it's manageable, but for some it might not be.

>never had impostor syndrome
>actually feel like I am miles better than everyone else who stumble along trying to use git
am I technochad?

that feeling went away after the first week, but my boss was a brainlet like me so that probably helped. Is your employer high IQ user?

Attached: 1533266689812.jpg (1150x1365, 275K)

Shit that's darn close to me, I'm always afraid that I actually know nothing, and if I had to find another job, I'd be shit out of luck.

i'm at a FAANG and it can take several months on a new team to be useful