Godot is the best game engine

Godot is the best game engine.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1200px-Godot_logo.svg.png (1200x485, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/reduzio/status/1040674765999104000
youtube.com/watch?v=9ADpYQIQg1w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best in what aspect?

Godot is shit because it uses a "one paradigm fits every problem" architecture

Example?

Supports python

it uses a node hierarchy for everything

>using an engine
Just do it all yourself LOL

I'm hopeful for Godot but making anything other than platformers or puzzles is a pain in the ass, and on top of that there are plenty of other """engines""""/"game makers" that are incredibly limited but so dead-simple to use it siphons demand for genre-specific assets/plugins/etc.

stop being contrarian lincuck and use unity3d

>having a house
Just build it all yourself LOL

It also looks like a fucking mess when you're done with the whole thing.

>Prove me wrong.
name one good Godot game.

There is a case to be made.

it's ok, lots of room for improvement, pretty good for being as free as it is

It objectively is because its one of the few that are 100% free. If I were to ever make a game I'd use this engine as a base and just add or strip down code as needed.

Pure C + OpenGL is the best method.

I won't, used this for a game jam, really fun

> fake python-like as official language
> strongly OOP
> runs like dogshit

cringe

Name one (1) triple-A game that uses Godot

I feel like this is the first crossboard link I’ve ever seen that maybe wasn’t meant as “get the fuck out”

Fuck your feelings

I've been waiting

Battletoads

you're probably not gonna read it, but please elaborate.

I mean, if it’s an offer

>not making your own engine

Attached: 1487232019768.jpg (640x640, 42K)

it's free as in freedom

npcs literally asked the same thing about unity years ago.

Isn't that lack of expirience from your part?

Just saying that real men build their own houses

can you show me your messy project?
would you mind if i take a look at it?

Name one (1) good triple-A game

WoW

This

Attached: HomebrewClub.png (1280x720, 976K)

>released in 2004
Proves my point

It's not simple enough yet, documented enough or developed enough to be amazing, but other engines are shit in their own ways. What engine is best is subjective.

Easy, the lead developer is this guy: twitter.com/reduzio/status/1040674765999104000

You are doing something wrong then. My projects never look messy even after using hundreds of nodes.

I like mocking people more than I dislike Latin Americans so I'd say that's a positive

>Not building your own CPU to run code you wrote on your own programming language

Horrible performance. Thus, not an option.

>Not building your own AI to build the CPU to build the game engine.

A man of culture.
This is what I'm currently working on.
It's an enjoyable project.
I've even gone as far as writing my own OpenGL loader.
It's quite stunning how far I've gotten and how simple the codebase still is.
There's still a lot of work to be done but recently I've had some good breakthroughs on how to simplify handling of shader code.

This plus SDL for user input and sound handling.

> Not using direct system calls
bloated desu

This, even libc is bloat.

Employ as minimum things as you need.
Implement as much as you have to.
Develop tools that perfectly fits your team and project.
Respect your time and experience of your users.
If you want to achieve something great, don't expect others to do all the work.

Modern software engineering practices have distorted understanding of simplicity. What I mean by minimum is that you need to apply minimum amount of actions to implement your program, same goes for your program: it should perform as minimum actions to achieve desired result. Abstractions only add to the problem: with them you are not only have to worry about real problems, but about abstractions themselves. You have to learn how to achieve goals with minimum amount of tools, otherwise you will spend a lot of time maintaining a lot of complexity without ability to comprehend it all.

Premade engines make a lot of assumptions about kind of projects they would implement, as well as teams internal work processes. If your project or your team does not fit into these assumptions your team performance and quality of work will degrade significantly as you will fight limitations of the engine. At the same time, if you don't use engine to it's full potential you will still pay for each unused feature by your licensing fees or by performance of you end-user's machine.

Despite all that, if Godot fits your needs — it is fine choice to go with.
But personally, I would not choose it, because that would close many opportunities.

You seem very wise on the subject, so what game engine would you particularly use in most situations?

this
you said free as in freedom let the gnu-family (or do gnus live in hoards?) help you

Dropped.

And unity is still shit, the industry would be better without it

how is this bad?

Could be better, I'm really surprised how fast it runs given its implementation
>heavy use of variants and dictionaries with string keys and strings to access anything in general
>everything has an overhead even function calls
That being said, I liked the node system and animation system, it's really fast to get shit done, and gdnative allows it to squeeze as much performance as you can, even if it employs a lot of spaghetti do it.
It's enough for any indie trash game.

triple A games use their own engines, godot, unity and software alike are made for indie games. what's your point brainlet?

I saw Gamemaker go from being a shitty engine with shitty XP era GUI to being a real contender for developing games

I wholeheartedly expect Godot to grow the same way, except I think the node structure and documentation will pay off so so so much more in the future. Godot is going to be fucking huge in a few years, it still feels like it's in beta

Enigma exists, so you're wrong. It's a FOSS clone of Game Maker which up until recently was the best game engine.

There is no single solution to "most situations".

>which up until recently was the best game engine
So what's the best game engine?

Enigma, because it's a FOSS clone of what Game Maker used to be before shitty ass Studio 2 came out

>2d
love2d.org

Isn't GameMaker a 2D game engine while Godot does both 2D and 3D?

Attached: 5978e2fc4ffb4676085667.jpg (1200x675, 100K)

GameMaker has 3d capability but it's inefficient and barely worked on and is shit basically. GM is still the best, or at least it was before Studio 2 came out, for 2d game dev which is what most studios under 10 people tend to make. I wouldn't use Godot for 3d anyway, I'd use Unity or UE

*Blocks your path*

youtube.com/watch?v=9ADpYQIQg1w

imo it really isn't, but it's still a great project and people should be giving it all the support they can

can you guys stop fucking perpetuating the meme that making a game engine is this huge complicated task that nobody can achieve? if you aren't a brainlet it really doesn't take that much effort unless you're literally rebuilding ue4 from scratch. the whole meme of "hurr but then it takes too long" only exists if you try to write completely generalized code. if you're gonna make an engine you just gotta figure out what type of game it's really meant for and make it the best at that. making an fps? write something that does only what's absolutely necessary to make an fps

based neneposter

also based

tried it once, but I've really been spoiled by the speed of luaJIT. GDScript is crazy fucking slow.

Cities Skyline

>Abstractions only add to the problem
See, this is why you don't fool anyone with your bullshit. Non-trivial software is built on top of abstractions because reasoning about low level details at this scale is simply impossible.