Why is *BSD so goddamn stable and smooth?

Why is *BSD so goddamn stable and smooth?

I just enabled VPN for some applications via jails and IPFW and this cannot be done on Linux, Mac and Windows. What the fuck is your excuse for not using *BSD?

Attached: 1529443847803.png (540x258, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What the fuck is your excuse for not using *BSD?
i don't need to

FreeBSD is a mess post-1999 (lol, they only enabled ASLR a few years ago) and I use OpenBSD on some of my servers.

no gaems

Poor for desktop

No hardware support. I'd use it if it was in fact possible to use.

>this cannot be done on Linux
Actually its way easier to do on Linux with systemd-nspawn.

They don't disinclude non-free software as far as I know. Otherwise openbsd seems somewhat cool.

>this namefag still posts here
K Y S

what is jail? can you spoon feed me user, please.

>what are network namespaces
Linux can do it. Windows and Mac can't.

Please fuck off and kill yourself. Network namespaces are all you need. Use LXC instead of some fucking systemd wrapper around it.

By which I mean if you want full containers at all then use lxc directly instead of systemd-nspawn garbage.

Network namespaces is ALL you need to pass network traffic through a VPN. I've set up a global netns on my laptop that passes all traffic through wireguard.

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html

>Use LXC instead of some fucking systemd wrapper around it.
systemd-nspawn is way easier to use and integrates nicely with systemd utilities.

>Why is *BSD so goddamn stable and smooth?
Because you can't do anything with it.

WTF is it about *BSD that attracts the far-left? Is it an overall trend of computer science? I guess being shut-in and anti-social is conducive with the developer lifestyle.

Pic related, a FreeBSD core team member.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.00.11 pm.png (690x539, 108K)

but I am. currently running ghostbsd and I might switch to netbsd because I never tried that before

You think that's bad?
You should get a load of the guy who developed musl.
Literally went on a rant about how the Apache web server has racist roots.

>ghostbsd
expressvpn has an option to only tunnel certain programs

kill yourself

Keep your systemdemonspawn to yourself, tripfag

>uses memevpn get out newfag

>Network namespaces is ALL you need to pass network traffic through a VPN. I've set up a global netns on my laptop that passes all traffic through wireguard.

I'm intrigued. Could you elaborate a bit more on your setup? I've been having a hard time figuring out how to set up a containerized VPN with wireguard for a while now.

does not have wifi driver for my PC

Ubuntu paste: jwdYjrPM9q

I've got this script here. The up() function is auto-executed by the init system when booting, creates a network namespace called "phy" and puts a wireguard interface within it. Wireguard keeps track of where the interface was created, so you simply move the interface from phy to the init system's name space (given by PID 1).

From there it brings down eth0 and wlan0, and moves them over to netns "phy". Now you have a namespace that is exclusively used for physical interfaces, and the wireguard interface is the only one that exists in the original init system's network namespace. Since it keeps track of where it was created, it routes encrypted packets through the default route in "phy".

Everything that follows after line 20 is simply setting up *my* configured environment, like connman, BIND and firewall rules etc. You can modify this for your own environment, like network manager etc.

When down() is called, it moves interfaces back to PID 1's network namespace, cleans up firewall rules and the wg interface, and kills connman etc. Basically it just cleans up after itself.

The spam filter wouldn't let my post go through with the paste link.

Here's an assorted systemd service file and a script to execute things in the physical namespace etc. if necessary (e.g. for botnetcast)

[Unit]
Description=WireGuard network tunnel
After=network.target
Wants=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/wgvpn.sh up
ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/wgvpn.sh down

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

And here's a quick script to execute programs in the "phy" network namespace:

#!/bin/bash

sudo ip netns exec phy sudo -u `whoami` "$@"

/p/jwdYjrPM9q

Maybe this works.

because i have absolutely no needs that macOS doesn't fulfill.

There is no excuse, I was going to get OpenBSD running on my laptop in the next month or so.

Why are you even on Jow Forums?

great bait man
look at all these niggers

Attached: 8e7.png (1024x1024, 74K)

Why not? MacOS gives you all of the command line tools of loonix with all the commercial software you could want running natively. It's pretty much the perfect OS if you're not an autistic faggot

Sell me on it. I just need emacs (Exwm), firefox and LaTeX. Also I read somewhere that it does not have ssd trim. Which bsd should I try first?

OpenBSD is extremely robust and stable. They oppose SJWs etc.

FreeBSD is stable and the largest BSD community, but it has a lot of SJWs (literally).

Dragonfly BSD is kinda cool, check it out. I don't know much about it, but it's a bit new and I haven't had time to try it.

What abut NetBSD?

It has support for a lot of things.
Probably the most lightweight.

>They oppose SJWs etc.
It's a matter of time before that changes. They (the foundation?) made an official Twitter account out of the blue after Linux adopted the CoC.
For a community that prides itself on secure software and privacy, for which communications are done via mailing lists, and which has explicitly said that they don't care about advocacy, but rather making an OS the developers themselves like to use, this is very strange.

How hard would it be to use OpenBSD on a KVM VPS? Also would still using Perl and nginx heavily negate most of the benefits?

no idea about using openbsd as a VPS, but I use it on my router and it works very well

NetBSD is also glorious for retro computing. The most modern Unix-like OS you can get on vintage hardware.