Linus uses a shitty mobo with 4 phase VRM

>Linus uses a shitty mobo with 4 phase VRM
>this means that it can't get the best results and is at a significantly lower temperature
Is he a shill or just incompetent?

youtube.com/watch?v=NGHiRrQ2AAo&t=372s

Attached: linus 9900k results.png (1325x792, 626K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xvNjO_UewLw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>or just incompetent?

Linus is a fucking moron, why are you surprised?

>He actually believes this was not intentional

did he change mobo for the other test?

He and his testers know about VRMs and how to check the quality of them.

Are his performance numbers lower than other benchmarkers that used better VRM and have reported higher temps ?

the way it's meant to be run.
everyone else is factory overcocking it to 150w tdp.

>Are his performance numbers lower than other benchmarkers that used better VRM and have reported higher temps ?
yup sure are

You do realize none of them will use an actual pump/radiator/fan setup? He'll dismiss all the minor improvements and claim it doesn't matter.

What are you talking about? Hardware Unboxed literally tested the 8700K, 9700K and 9900K back to back with a Noctua D15, an AIO of sorts (from memory is was a Corsair 115i or 150i?) and a custom loop.

>synthetic load
as opposed to what, exactly?

>everyone else is factory overcocking it to 150w tdp.

False.

he has 7900x and 7820x below 2700x
i mean just..

LOL

You know, I always took most of the retard's claims of "Hurr hez a Intel shill" with a grain of salt, as I do with most shilling accusations. But fuck me, Skylake-X running cooler than Zen+? I think the retards might be right on this occasion.

You'd think the creator of linux would know better. I'm definitely sticking to windows now.

This drama is amusing, because it's actually not the reviewers' fault at all.

Intel are the ones who specify the 95w TDP, and designed it to run at 150w TDP with the software limits removed.

Now, if someone was reporting the 150w performance and the 95w thermals, THAT is solid 100% shill. But if one is reporting the real world performance capabilities, and the other is reporting the performance based on the Intel specs then it's not the reviewers' fault.

He's a moron and a shill.

>might be right

remember that video he made about intel in taiwan?

now after than he has like 12 videos shilling for optane
his mate blatantly said he got 2 280gb drives and it was the best thing ever

or when they benchmarked 2700x and he got same numbers in 3 games (it was 30 min and 103 max) and somehow the 103 on ryzen was always behind of intel
and then you have this

youtube.com/watch?v=xvNjO_UewLw

he literally limited the motherboard to throttle the cpu to oblivion

>Linus uses a shitty mobo with 4 phase VRM
>this means that it can't get the best results and is at a significantly lower temperature
He was using the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390. That's not a cheap low-end board, it's something you can expect a lot of people who buy the i9-9900k to use. It's not that odd that they went with that board.

If anything this shows that reviewers should probably test CPUs on more than one board. That will obviously take more time and resources but it's fair to guess that nobody would have argued if Linus had tested on 3 different boards and presented all the results.

A more interesting detail beyond the motherboard choice is how everyone seems to think the i9-9900k should be compared to the Ryzen 7 2700X when the Ryzen 7 2700X is at a price-point where it competes against Intel's i5 CPUs. The actual alternative to the i9-9900k+motherboard would be the Threadripper 1950X+motherboard, those are equally prices and competing parts.

stock settings running a CPU out of spec is something it's fair to describe as "factory overclocking". And it's something they shouldn't do, btw. If you put a cooler rated for 95W TDP on a board and it runs at 150W+ then you'll have problems.

Is he a shill or just incompetent?
Well, bear in mind that Linus is officially an Intel-sponsored youtuber and draw your own conclusions.

It's funny he cannot get lower temps even with a delidded 9900K. Even by trying. He then goes on to give Linus the benefit of the doubt of making a mistake. A mistake that is so hard to replicate.

I'm beginning to think Linus Shilltipps flat out lied.

Hey! Linus. Here's a tip. Quit money grubbing and show some moral integrity you walking advert.

AMD Unboxed trying so hard to be a review police

The board and settings were deliberately chosen, and approved by Intel engineers, to only target 95W TDP. However, this limited the board to what? 4.3ghz on all cores, aka, not the real 9900K performance.

This was deliberate. He knew this was not the settings people would use it at, but chose to release the Intel-approved results anyway, just like Principled Technology.

Seeing as an NH-D15 just manages to contain the 9900K stock, at 84c, I'd say the true 9900K TDP is near 250W

Attached: humiliated.jpg (1438x960, 166K)

>calling out shills trying to mislead people is bad
Hey rabbi, watcha doin'?

Attached: Linus Torvalds.jpg (658x646, 48K)

>2700X running hotter than Skylake-X housefires
I smell a shill

Attached: mineycrafta.jpg (1639x1440, 427K)

It makes sense. Gaymurs Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, etc., all of those other reviewers combined don't even come close to Linus' 1.1 million views on his 9900K video. So obviously he would get a little "tip" from Intel to fudge the temperature and power consumption numbers a bit. And now, all those 1.1 million viewers think of the 9900K as the world's fastest gaming cpu, that runs cooler than the 2700x and all the other high end Intel parts.

Pointing out how a review might not give potential customers the full picture is good.

True, but when it comes to keeping the tech media in check, no one does it better than AdoredTV

>AdoredTV
He is the Sword of Damocles.

Oh you mean kind of how AMD Unboxed does all their CPU gaming benchmarks in 4K ultra?

Yeah, whenever there is a new GPU or CPU release, I wait for him to make a comparison of all the tech media channels to determine the real performance improvements.

both

>4k ultra
show us where he literally only did a 4k ultra benchmark

You know what the fuck I mean.

I think this picture says it all.

Attached: amd unboxed.jpg (1920x1080, 715K)

see Have you watched a single HU video, moron

50% improved perf. Rest in pieces AMD

>105w vs the super slim super efficient 95w true 8-core solution

Attached: performance.jpg (651x367, 46K)

>source engine
there's no way intel's compiler hasn't inserted some pozzed piece of code in there

Attached: ScreenShot_20181022140946.png (1291x731, 688K)

i dont know all i see is 1080p and 1440p
but i guess you must be blind

>"AMD Unboxed does all their CPU gaming benchmarks in 4K ultra"
>gets shown a snap from a vid about 1080p and 1440p
>"g-guess you must be blind"

Reminder not to argue with AMDrones

In fact, people buy shitty prebuilds with hp/lenovo boards with shitty VRMs that actually target TDP specified by intel and are not factory overclocked.

There's a reason why tech shills don't give a shit about AMDored TV...save for AMD Unboxed.

They're both AMD employees.

I'm sure that's true. Seeing as 99% of prebuilts won't be overclocked.

That's how the corporate world works. Companies don't want to bother dealing with hardware, they buy prebuilt boxes with maintenance included. And those are usually the cheapest boards from hp/lenovo that can't possibly maintain turbo clocks.

>actually posting those benchmark videos where they just collect rag-tag benchmark results without doing any testing of their own

I agree. But Linus's video was an aftermarket board, Maximus XI Hero, so it was odd that it was configured to only use 95W instead of the 9900Ks rating of 180~

He must've said the reason in the video. If he hasn't, that's just bias. Sorry I don't plan on watching this crap.

>Maximus XI Hero
he fucking used a z270 motherboard to test the 9900k?

is this where intel had to go ?

XI is Z390

>a tech whore is also a retard
Well imagine my shock. Why do people even watch these tech nu-males? They're as biased as Intel's marketing department but significantly less intelligent. In the end, the biggest retards are the fortnite kiddies who take techwhores seriously

>Why do people even watch these tech nu-males
literally NPCs

Which is a shit rebrand of the Z370 because it has shit VRM's (4+2 I believe).

>shill or incompetent
both