The new Palm is a 'companion phone' second screen for the stupid giant plablets everyone has these days...

The new Palm is a 'companion phone' second screen for the stupid giant plablets everyone has these days. The funny thing is it makes perfect sense.

youtube.com/watch?v=0p-1ANe0b6A

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 3.13.40 AM.png (1496x864, 1.19M)

i'm waiting until we do full circle
>small phones!
>physical 5-way navigator!
>brand new iphone q with 4" screen and hardware qwerty keyboard!
>smartphones? no, we prefer to call our new devices "personal data assistants"

Attached: 1534438207269.jpg (558x377, 126K)

Wrist computers are the best form for phones/tablets. I suppose OEM's are just waiting for foldable screens to become cheaper.

Attached: Wristcomputer.png (640x356, 219K)

Attached: Android-Watch-Z1-Is-World-s-First-Android-Wrist-Computer-2.jpg (640x480, 238K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

A phone like this would make sense if it was cheaper and standalone. What are these people smoking?

Add a headphone jack and make it completely stand-alone and I'll buy one.

Apple perfected the smart phone on their first try. Every deviation has been for the worse.

Attached: https---blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com-uploads-card-image-522187-24b2832d-fc80-4dcc-a73c- (950x534, 96K)

Indeed price is nuts. The SoC seems way too high end for it not to functional on its own, and the restriction seems totally artificial Verizon marketing BS.

>$350
What in the fuck were they thinking

>on their first try

I think smartphones peaked in the 4s era when we had acceptable cameras, multitasking and the notification center.

Also i miss the original moto g, (((near stock))) jellybean was perfect

The iPhone SE is the height of smartphone design. As big as it can be while remaining totally one-hand comfortable. The expected physical buttons and headphone jack, but brings the one post-original-iPhone feature that isn't shit which is a fingerprint reader.

DOES IT HAVE TWO SIM SLOTS

THIS IS IMPORTANT

completely forgot about about the fingerprint reader, good point.

I also liked the SE's plasic shell, it was near indestrucible.

Only loos need two sim cards

>SE's plasic shell
you are probably thinking of the 5c, which was also based, for its time at least

Crazy how the SE is still the best phone over 2 years after its release. And one of the cheapest phones you can buy.

You're thinking of the iPhone 5C with the plastic shell. Looked and felt great but dunno how durable they were. The SE is all metal, basically the same as the iPhone 5/S (with updated internals)

Attached: iphone_se_review_02_thumb1200_4-3.jpg (1200x900, 72K)

I'm waiting for phone manufacturers to go back to basics and make 4" phones again. I'm holding on to my SE until then, hell I might even buy a second one for safekeeping.

At some point they'll run out and then what? Literally all currently manufactured smartphones are shit (is the SE killed in all markets?)

Too big, no headphone jack, gimmicky annoying shit like 'face unlocking', curved glass, notches...

I'm on my second, bought my first SE on launch. If I lose/break this one I'll get a third.

yeah I allways mix those two up, they are booth great phones regardless.

A budget phone shouldnt cost $800

plastic > aluminum

For feel for sure, but you'll want a case anyway.

>palm is back
>garbage company selling overpriced garbage tech

Yup, palm certainly is back! (for the next 1.5 years when they will file for bankruptcy)

The Pre was slick as fuck.

Attached: dims.jpg (455x495, 94K)

fuck yeah it was brother
webOS was utterly superior to sheepdroid as a tinkering/enthusiast operating system, still using my Pre Plus as a backup music player and general fucking around device

Can I pair this to my LTE smart watch?

It's a cool idea but it doesn't really have much of a place in today's market. A smartwatch completely defeats the purpose of this product.

>$350
>shit screen and chipset
>Verizon only
Makes perfect sense.

This isn't fucking Palm. this is like when retards say that Atari is back.
Palm is fucking dead and has been for years.
It's a fucking subsidiary of that Chinese company that makes those cheap TVs

And who the fuck is going to pay 350 for this shit?

>Listing all the reasons why its great to have a phone that size in your advertisement
>Only make it a companion device, not an actual phone

Attached: agitated airbender.png (300x300, 95K)

Maybe if all you do is just skim notifications, which is all a smartwatch is really good for. A small, discrete and fully featured device is not without some kind of place.

Not that I'd really pay $350 for something like this, but I honestly hope they do well enough to keep pursuing the Palm brand. I'd definitely buy a modern-day Z22 at $99 that can function as a standalone device or deeply integrate with a larger iOS or Android smartphone. Messaging with graffiti would be a pretty nice experience, especially for some larger emails.

>350$
>10$ monthly fee to use it what it was desined for
>phone getting failed 'smartphone accesory'

Attached: 015.png (720x1034, 137K)

palm isn't garbage you bum my Clie is still going strong and I use it every day. well maybe now it is, but wasn't always

This thing is obviously way overpriced and gimped in several ways due to the Verizon hookup, but the basic idea is solid.

Someone needs to build a ~$150 'companion phone' about that size or a bit bigger that clones your main (giant/media) phone, with all the same apps/data kept always in sync (so anything you do on one is reflected on the other). Give it the ability to clone your main phone's sim, so they can pass off the cellular connection as needed (i.e. if the two are apart, whichever one is with you gets the connection). And give it a fucking headphone jack and the ability to pipe through main-phone audio.

Then you have the best of everything. This small phone to keep in your pocket and use with one hand on the go, but you can pull your big clumsy 'main phone' out of your bag for extended stationary use.

How doesn't this already exist???

stupid, just give me a small phone already. something this size without any of the limitations would be perfect. we never needed anything so huge

>catering to manlets and those without chad-pockets
lovin every laff

Attached: 1531891294166.gif (500x270, 1012K)

>Apple perfected the smart phone on their first try. Every deviation has been for the worse.
the original iphone wasn't even as good as smartphones that were already on the market at the time (no gps, no 3G, no mms, no camera flash, can't record video, etc, etc) it was dumbphone-tier with a smartphone UI

why not just have the small phone? why do you need the big one at all?

You know what? I don't mind large phones. The problem is both iOS an Android never render websites to desktop mode properly. And if they do, the proportions are all fucked up and I have to scan around the page like an idiot, some of the text is too small or too large and out of proportion.

Remember how the first iPhone advertised how it could view websites as if you were on a desktop?

Well try going to the New York Times website now on your phone today. It's in this blown up, garbage mobile interface that SEVERELY lacks features and options available to desktop users. And then they hound you to install their "app" that spies on you and sends all your info to jewgle. Every goddamn website is like this. SO WHY THE FUCK DO WE EVEN NEED LARGE PHONES? The stylus was killed off and everything is catered toward nearly blind boomers.

This is good. It sucks Verizon forced them to gimp it hard. Hope some chink phone company goes out and does this right .And I wouldn't mind a stylus too. Is that too much to ask? The stylus on a small screen was a great formfactor, for some reason we abandoned it.

Attached: iphonenyt.jpg (500x333, 21K)

Plastic *can* feel good, but more often than not it doesn't. The 3GS and 5C felt good to hold for example, but so many plastic Android phones I've held feel so bad they make me want to cringe my face off. Those badly made plastic phones are what give plastic a bad rap and helped aluminum and glass' rise to popularity.

>can only open 1 app at once
>memory bugs
>retarded charger
>carrier lock
>poor reception
>expanding batteries
>can't copy and paste until software revisions
>poor memory management
>low contrast keyboard
>aero effects
>fingerprints
>proprietary screws
>non user replaceable battery
>zero water resistance

D e l u s i o n a l

I remember the times when Engadget was hyping Palm Pre on every other story. The concept seems really strong too. I wonder why it eventually flopped and was sold to k-chinks.

>google apps trackerware
shit.

it's not FOSS let alone FOSH, stop

>$10 a month to use it
hahahaha

Isn't it better to just make thicker phone and bigger battery?

now thats just stupid, why would you need a slightly larger phone that cant to anything more than the slightly smaller, i mean its not even 2" difference

the only sense would make if the "master" to the companion would be an actually mobile workstation like a laptop or big touch device, which would be kinda nice because you would have everything synced, or at least accessible from your phone and workstation vice versa, and could combine functions like making calls from the laptop etc.

Nicer for consuming media.

A lot of people have a desktop (or docking station) at home, and use their laptop on the go. That sort of use-case should be possible on smartphones.

The thing is it fits with the 'compute puck' concept I saw a little while ago, where the idea was you'd have a small device you keep on your person with a number of devices, like a phone-shaped device, or a desktop setup, that'd wirelessly connect and give you a seamless experience between devices. It's not quite there but it's a step down that path.

Their biggest mistake, like a lot of manufacturers, was still playing the featurephone game when Apple was effectively pivoting the smartphone market into an area where a phone was an accessory and status symbol above all.

I have my blackberry, this never left