He uses C++

> He uses C++

Attached: lol.jpg (474x315, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/language_linkage
youtube.com/watch?v=GMqQOEZYVJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My prof said I should do ++c instead because it's faster.

>not using an infinitely fast programming language

Attached: takethatspeedoflight.png (1112x612, 95K)

You're right, it's a dumb choice and I deserve to be laughed at. However I will continue using it because I have autism.

YES OKAY I'M A NOOB

My professor is making me, but I'm learning a lot

> using a programming language with almost a hundred expressions
> so many expressions you might as well program in C and use macros

I think everyone should learn it, I just can't imagine anyone actually choosing it if they had options

fpbp /thread

Valid critique. However, if you use C instead, it completely loses any credibility.

I use assembly, because I'm not a brainlet

assembly is the language of choice for brainlets who think they're smart.

What is your preferred language, then?

>He bows to peer pressure when choosing his programming language.

This thread is basically proof that no one on Jow Forums has actually written production code.

Kek my prof was such a fuckin boomer like that too. Bitch wanted us to write shit in command line too. Finna stupid.

Personally my favorite is C++, but that's not the point, the point is that assembly is a ridiculously unproductive and error prone language to use for modern software, and the fact that you say it's your favorite leads me to believe that you haven't actually written any serious software with it, or at all. You'll be hard pressed to find a non-trivial program written in the last 10-15 years that is all or mostly assembly. even performance critical things like operating systems and firmware with real-time requirements these days is written in mostly C or C++ with maybe a little inline assembly when needed.

and yes, I know
>is a ridiculously unproductive and error prone language to use for modern software

could be argued for C++, but compared to assembly, C++ is a huge step up in reducing those problems.

That's not always true because it creates a data dependency. A decent compiler should be able to optimize this anyways.

Source: Game Engine Architecture by Jason Gregory

whats wrong with C++? I do nothing but C++ since I'm developing on UE4

no one in this thread has actually stated a disadvantage

Just a bunch of newb programmers (kids really). C++ is pretty fundamental and no programmer should leave it in the dust.

Though someone argued "why don't i just program in binary while I'm at it?"

Fucking millennials getting everything handed to them on a plate.

How's the compile time going?

Isn't C++ the industry standard language for game programming?

Attached: AutoHotReload-940x589-1353116848.png (940x589, 441K)

>Whoa, user pulled the handle

Attached: boomer3.jpg (250x232, 6K)

>muh video games

Go back to /v/, kiddos. Serious software isn't programmed in C++.

It's a meme at this point, C++ is so poorly maintained and is bloated.

>everything I don't like is bloat

Bloat is bloat you sycophantic retard

Well, if there is something you quickly learn with C++ is that "it's not because you could that you should".
With common sense, C++ is a very nice language.
Without it, it is a dick shaped garbled mess of a code that somehow draws a 3D dick.

C++ is literally the nigger of programming languages and you should feel bad

Bro, why would you choose to program in C++ when you can program by dragging and dropping boxes in some horrible flow chart

I work at a company that makes medical devices. We use C++ for everything. Every now and then someone suggests switching to C, but that triggers the good old boys to suggest Ada instead, then the zoomers pipe in suggesting Rust and the whole discussion goes to shit.

What company so I can know who not to buy from?

If you want to stop using C++, you will have to stop using computers in general.

Lol, you don't get a choice. We're in every hospital. If it makes you feel any better, the testing requirements are insane. There are only a few thousand lines of code, but each class has months of code reviews and automated tests behind it meaning it takes years before the FDA even gets a version 1 unit to test. Then they do a full code audit and test the device for a year.

Maybe I'll stop using your mom

Attached: zoomer.gif (931x682, 532K)

You can't, the same factory that did me did your CPU.

referencing the incremented value in the same statement creates a data dependency
++c and c++ both translate to an add instruction in unoptimized assembly

>Valid critique
There was no critique.

My eyes are bleeding from this post

I know only a tard would use a command line editor, when you can get code suggestions and compiler warnings in an ide.

based and compiletime pilled

>10 years ago C++ was king
>Now it's openly shitted on
What happened
t. COBOL legacy programmer

Especially weird considering how incredibly less shitty it's gotten over the last 10 years.

>tfw making a comfy 6 figures based of Java Hadoop/HDFS based frameworks

>they have vaginal herpes and gonorrhea

Attached: why are some girls such sluts.jpg (300x200, 26K)

Only brainlets hate C++.

> Only brainlets love C++.
FTFY

I develop embedded software and we use C++. I could never dream of using anything else.

t. brainlet

Javascript or Python for getting things done fast.

C/C++ for when I need to do something Win32/WinSDK related..

Rust is also pretty nice, I've made some programs with it, usually just to eventually transition when it's more mature.

I'm thinking of making a basic C++/Qt program that will allow me to batch rename my animes, mainly to practice Qt for my job. What's wrong with using C++ for that?

kids on Jow Forums will call you a brainlet

If you want top performance these days, you use C++. Not C.
Ctards will start seething and throthing at the mouth when they hear this because it undermines the ONLY actual reason C still exists.
But C no longer has a real reason to exist. Compilers have improved drastically and it is now far easier to write efficient code in modern C++ than it is in C.
>but muh embedde
C++ is better and more efficient there too.

Attached: 1531709854036.jpg (848x480, 60K)

>Qt
have fun spending most of your time fixing what the devs couldn't fix, oh and it also forces you to use their shitty stl-replacement types.

but don't take my word for it try, try it and realize that it's bloated after you realize you have to deploy it with 100 megs of dlls on windows

Attached: 7s7mont5ndp11.png (808x805, 488K)

I really like C++, I do most things in it, but it's hardly perfect:

It's easy to screw up, even if you're good at avoiding the pitfalls it might be difficult to find other people to work with who are similarly proficient.
It's huge beyond measure, getting to the point where there isn't a single line of C++ where you'll go "wait, what?" can and will take years, it's pretty much unique for that. Again, even if you know it it makes it difficult to find other people who do.
The hugeness means you need to standardize a style (beyond what you normally need to standardize) and agree on which features you are and aren't going to use and in what ways. For example: Should our network sockets be C-style, allocated by socket_alloc and socket_free functions? Should they be initialized and cleaned up with new and delete as normal C++ classes? Initialized with RAII and delete the copy operator? Initialized with RAII and reference counted internally? Or perhaps reference counted externally with a SockRefPtr type? In (for example) C# it's obvious: Just make a NetworkSocket class and give it a constructor. You even get a pretty universal style guide to go with it.
It doesn't have static reflection making some things (like reading enums from a human friendly configuration file) pointlessly painful.
It's missing a bunch of basic functionality that can make bringing up a quick application pretty arduous. Boost.ASIO is more or less the network library and it takes about 600 lines of boilerplate to turn it into something tolerable that looks more like (for example) Python's socket library. Loading YAML, JSON & XML all require external libraries, as does HTTP (often missing from other languages as well to be fair).
Until you take the using namespace pill it's painfully verbose.

This. Whenever C is a good choice, C++ is almost always a better choice. I myself am currently working on a small embedded project with C++.
The only valid reason to prefer C right now is having a simpler, more straightforward and compatible ABI. If that's not a requirement, you have no reason to use plain C.

Also, C++ can not only match C in performance, it can potentially be even faster: all the additional information given to the compiler allows for potentially better optimization.

Does C++ have a stable abi across compilers now?

What's a good alternative?

Oh I forgot some more:
The error messages (mainly from GCC & VS, haven't really tried Clang) can be a quarter mile long for one misplaced character.
The compile times are actually just silly.
Textual inclusion (and the preprocessor) instead of modules has lead to some CORRECTNESS_BY_VERY_LONG_PREFIXED_IDENTIFIERS which isn't really ideal. And then some shithead redefines something you weren't expecting upstream (ran into a preprocessor macro called `max` once...) and you have no idea what's going on for about 48 hours.

Yes.
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/language_linkage

Qt, it might be huge and prone to the occasional QString but there's a lot of really good functionality in there.

too many language features

>en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/language_linkage
>extern "C"

there is no alternative, stick to cli or deal with it.

clang is just as bad

Will do senpai. Is ncurses a good choice?

>written basic software rasterizer, raytracer and toy physics engines in C++
>fucking hate the language now

Seriously, the C++ development experience is horrible. For every .cpp file I have to waste time writing a .hpp file. And If you have circular #includes anywhere the compiler shits itself.

OH Yeah and
>make
>cmake

C++ need modules so fucking badly holy shit. Fuck C++ im moving to Rust.

It's a stable ABI.
The extern "c++" one is also decently stable, since I've literally never had problems with it.
C programmers overblow the whole ABI thing just to find reasons to continue shilling C. Can't blame them when their language is slowly becoming more and more obsolete with less and less reasons to continue existing.

>I have to waste time writing a .hpp file
I just put everything in a .h file aside from my main.cpp. Is this a bad idea?

god help me if i have to use any interface you ever write

no I also love to wait a minute before my project compiles

It's not very standard and will lead to long compile times (changes in headers chain down to any file that includes that header, where changes in a .cpp file only need that file to be changed) and large header files (so more long compile times) for anybody including from you. But it's not unheard of, there are plenty of "header only" C++ libraries in the world.

to be recompiled* not "to be changed" sorry.

>c++
enjoy your bloat

Attached: cpp.webm (966x562, 241K)

you're not fooling anyone with this.

std::endl involves a flush. Nice bait.
youtube.com/watch?v=GMqQOEZYVJQ

Retarded zoomers and dumb pajeets

Did you even look at the code?, it's not even executing the binary. My point was to just show how bloated c++ stl is.

The difference in compilation speed has nothing to do with the amount of bloat in the stl. It has quite a few different causes, but stl bloat is not one of them.

learned something new today

No. Why should it?

>larping so hard

Imagine a language being so better than another that the obly argument in favor of the latter is "it compiles faster".

>npC++

I honestly don't get why groups like Featureless wank over C so much.

Pajeet happened

Assembly is pointless unless your uncle works at IBM and is going to get you a job there.
Learn to write efficient code without being forced too by the language.

Nothing, it's like the kids who go and bitch about manual cars because an automatic is easier to drive.
The important thing is to realize it's not the perfect language though like some retards seem to think.
It's one of the top 5 programming languages because it's extremely flexible and efficient, also templating is cool.

Panjeets write C++ as well. Just as badly, but they still write it.

The reason Java and C# replaced C++ was the lack of adaptability to the web and the constant problems with memory leaks.

How do you program without visual Studio lol?

KDE is written in C++.

Noob here, is this just showing how quick gcc vs g++ compiling time? If so, who cares, only thing that matters is runtime.

They'll literally wank to anything that got out of Bell Labs regardless of whether it was good enough to prevail. I'm also positive they only like Go because Rob Pike made it, since the language itself doesn't look like something they'd actually endorse.

I think they are the same. GCC is just the gnu compiler collection. g++ is explicitly an interface for compiling c++ through gcc. Not sure though. If you want to know of a different compiler you can check out clang.

>No optimisation flags
Dumb cnile.

The only platform C++ has lacked a stable ABI is Windows.

On basically every other OS g++, clang++, icc and whatever other compiler you can dredge up reliably uses the Itanium ABI.

>xer uses genderized pronouns

Attached: 1534606704333.png (430x441, 94K)

Noticied the same thing, but why Bell Labs specifically? Sure, they undeniably made a lot of stuff and contributed, but it's almost like a cult. And Uriel & Co. are not the only people.

icc is complete garbage though, it fucks up basic language rules such as list initialization constructor precedence that other compilers such as g++ and clang implement correctly.
Even with -std=c++11, it implements something quite different than C++11.
Notice that I'm only talking about technical aspects, if we take into consideration the fact that it's proprietary garbage, it's even worse.

Yes, and congratulations, you already understood something that so-called "expert programmers" here fail to grasp.

>Valid critique.
NIGGER WHERE???

site?

>C++ is so poorly maintained
Nigga, what?