>it defaults to a resolution greater than my monitors
>Ctrl+alt+delete doesn't restore visibility
>okay I'll just restart, that will fix the issue
>nope
>take all my computer shit downstairs and hook.it up to television
>reset resolution to 1024x768 60hz
>take computer back upstairs and hook up to shitty monitor again
>still have problem
What the fuck happened here, how do I fix it? I wasn't given any kind of setup menu when launching the game for the first time, it just defaulted to some absurd resolution.

Attached: IMG_20181026_053003814.jpg (2560x1440, 1.18M)

I spent almost 6 hours downloading this game, and now not only can I not play it, but I can't use my PC either. Fuck.

theres probably an .ini file you can change the res in. set it accordingly then change the permissions to read only so the game stops changing it.

Okay I can boot into safemode and reset my resolution to 1024x768, but when I try to boot windows normally my monitor shits itself again and won't display anything. I'm so fucking mad.

Attached: 1493911866631.png (570x683, 264K)

Edit . ini or config file.
Set resolution via steam.

who has a monitor that shitty in 2018?

That's irrelevant. I'm getting a new monitor soon but I need to be able to access Windows normally and I can't find anything online about this problem specifically, only people who have a similar problem when they try starting the game. They can still boot into windows normally.

uninstall it
its a shit game anyway

>Jow Forums in 2018

Attached: paul the cat.jpg (736x736, 84K)

I uninstalled Metro, set my resolution in safe mode to 1024x768, and I still get the image in the OP when I try booting normally. How badly did I fuck up?

Uninstall your graphics driver in safe mode, if that doesn't do it, call a fucking priest.

say NO in an authorative manner and uninstall your computer out the front door
it needs to learn whos in charge

>uninstall your computer out the front door

Attached: 1540267648338.jpg (2048x1895, 306K)

Okay I can boot into windows normally again, thread dismissed.

Fuck 4a games.

NO FUCKING WAY

I uninstalled the intel driver and could then boot into Windows normally, but when I downloaded them from Intel's website and installed it again I got the "cannot display this video mode" message!!??! WHAT THE FUCK

Attached: pink.png (1166x1216, 658K)

Use DDU to uninstall the driver again in safe mode, and use some meme cleaner tool like ccleaner to make sure there's no leftover registry entries and cache files after you use DDU so the driver can't hide a config file somewhere.

I guess I'll start downloading cccleaner then. God damn it, there's no way I'm the only person who's ever had this issue. Metro 2033's an old game too, it should be able to run in 1024x768. I can't believe this is allowed to be sold on Steam, fuck 4a games fuck them.

I am convinced this is an elaborate troll

Try CRU

I wish that were the case. Now I can't play ANY of my games until I unfuck my intel driver.

Just format it, it's the solution to every problem in windows.

This. If the problem persists, try deleting system32.

When Metro 2033 was released, 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 were the norm for desktops, and 1366x768 for laptops. 1024x768 stopped being a common desktop resolution around 15 years ago, pal.

Anyways, I suspect your problem actually comes from using a chink VGA cable which isn't sending the DDC signal from your monitor to the computer, and so Windows thinks your monitor can do any resolution in the world because the monitor isn't telling it 1024x768 is the max. When you set the resolution on Windows, does it let you pick anything higher than 1024x768? If it does, this is all your fault for buying chink cables.

>he uses a shit monitor with a homosexual resolution
>he uses Intel integrated graphics
OP, are you fucking poor? Spend like a few hundred and get yourself a Ryzen 3 2200G at the very least.

Attached: 1539398556114.png (500x600, 197K)

You press F8 and select "low resolution display" or something like that. This selects 640x480 but it's not safe mode and you may reset it to anything after boot.

>does it let you pick anything higher than 1024x768?
...yes, when I still had the intel drivers installed it gave the option for a horizontal resolution in the 2000+ range. I god my VGA cable from Goodwill.

I'm getting an hd monitor soon, should that communicate properly if im using the same intel driver and not result in some absurd unviewable resolution?

I mean, where you select safe mode you select "low resolution display" mode.

>are you poor?
>spend a few hundred dollars and stop being poor!

Attached: 1540339520004.jpg (500x511, 59K)

>when I still had the intel drivers installed it gave the option for a horizontal resolution in the 2000+ range
Bingo. Your VGA cable isn't communicating the DDC signal to the computer. You're SOL until you buy a proper cable.
>should that communicate properly if im using the same intel driver and not result in some absurd unviewable resolution?
As long as you use another cable (and please do, 1920x1080 looks horrible over VGA), it should work fine, yes.

Linux doesn't have this issue

Attached: C8A--p_VsAE48FV.jpg (1427x1069, 244K)

Mainly because a kernel doesn't output any graphics, you need Xorg or Wayland for that.