Xfce

Xfce is the patrician's choice. Gnomefags GTFO

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-26_17-35-35.png (1366x768, 1.21M)

Cinnamon is better.

>screentears your shit

Nothing personell, kid.

>using DE
fuken tilelets

What about LXDE

I have a major foot fetish so I'm gonna keep on using GNOME.

TUIs are for plebs. If you don't use cli exclusively, you should kill yourself.

I mean, Xfce is nice, but Moksha has a better feel to it.

OCD autist detected

Based

Attached: 1493206559164.png (408x368, 96K)

This WindowMaker is THE POSIX WM

>t. Drug Addict

Attached: 2018-10-26-140141_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.35M)

I used to prefer it until I got into KDE. Never the less, they're both great.

KDE has too much bloat.

>Cinnamon is better.

>Moksha has a better feel to it.

I realize this is Jow Forums, but could you guys provide some details as to why you prefer them over xfce? The main thing I like about XFCE is those desktops in the lower right, which make it easy to switch tasks without having to look for a tab. Like for example, I always have my spread sheet in the first one, browser in the second, and so on.

And you don't need to address that specifically, just tell me why I might prefer Cinnamon or Moksha.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-26_14-23-02.png (1920x1080, 213K)

Couldn't agree more.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-26_14-28-55.png (1366x768, 649K)

Setting it up on my uni laptop (still haven't worked on the second screen)

Attached: neofetch-2018-10-26-08-29-15-3537.png (3286x1080, 551K)

> TearFree
use it

Never fucking works.

best fm
best wm

for you

fixed

Attached: 1540564619531.png (1366x768, 1.59M)

How to do dis

mspaint

i3 is where it's at boys. Pure efficiency once setup.

Alright, convince me to drop gnome. Now feel free to tell me if this is just an issue with how Ubuntu does things, but is GNOME 3 just shit? At first I thought that it was tolerable, but I'm liking it less and less:
>changes quite a lot over the years. It started out as a DE for people who were masters of their keyboards and shortcutted their way through everything, but now it's barely distinguishable from Unity. I fear that it will soon change for the worst
>the Activities button will appear over full-screened programmes
>the dash will pop up and stop my cursor when I'm using a VM
>seems to be absolutely shit at containing crashes, if one programme seriously fails then you're not going to be able to use anything other than REISUB
>frequently lose the ability to left click on anything. For some reason the only fix is minimizing or closing a window
>I can't easily drag and drop files in to programmes
>Does a bad job handling multiple instances of the same programme. For example, if there's two and you click on the wrong one, then it changes the order of the windows, meaning that you when you go and click where you didn't before, you'll find that you've opened the wrong window again
>the settings aren't in sane places. You often end up having to check both the tweak tool and the settings of your distro
I don't know guys, is it just me or is there no good reason to use this shit? I hated it back when I tried it in the late days of Debian Wheezey and the early days of Debian Jessie, and the version that Ubuntu LTS has at the moment is much better, but I still think that it might just be shit.

>I want shit to work
just use windows or macos

never had a crash on xfce

Does it have proper HDPI support yet?

I'd love to use it on my 1440p laptop, but the scaling is all shite.

I don't know, I use 1366x768, try it in a VM?

Also you can change DPI an scaling in the settings

Last time I tried it, it just made the GTK related UI bigger while non-GTK shit was still ant sized.

Appealing.

the dash is an extension
the overview on the corner can be deactivated or just use gnome classic
settings you need are on settings, on tweaks I just tweak appearance and add extensions
>>Does a bad job handling multiple instances of the same programme. For example, if there's two and you click on the wrong one, then it changes the order of the windows, meaning that you when you go and click where you didn't before, you'll find that you've opened the wrong window again
don't be a retard then, this happened to me on windows too, that's why I just use workplaces to move around with the keyboard
>It started out as a DE for people who were masters of their keyboards and shortcutted their way through everything
as I said, you just move the windows and they will stay there, I just alt tab to go a window back; but you can also set gnome to just switch through windows on the same workplace.
Also you were so adamant about using the keyboard but most of your problems is clicking on shit or moving the cursor ?????
neither I had a crash on GNOME, but I have crashed XFCE tweaking the toolbar unironically

Gnome 3 on Ubuntu is dog shit. If you want a good Gnome experience try Fedora.

What's the difference and why is there one?

>using Stretch on desktop
Why not testing/Buster?

can I get a sauce on that wallpaper?

Gnome. +Stable -Bloated -Simplistic -Little Customization
KDE. +BTFOs gnome with actual features +A lot of Customization -Okay stability
(Plasma 4 and early 5 were very unstable but that's improved.)
XFCE. +Stable +Light weight +A lot of Customization

Others. Lxde is shit. Lxqt is too immature. Cinnamon and mate are like Xfce but with even less benefits. Budgie is Gnome tier except without Gnome's shitty JS extensions.

I used to use Gnome for years but now I'd only ever recommend KDE.
The features (KDE connect, Dolphin, Vaults, Activities, etc.) aren't just memes. Plus anyone interested in Linux wouldn't want an environment that's as locked down as Gnome is.

Ever heard of compton?

It's one of the preloaded Xubuntu wallpapers
It's fucking comfy

KDE is decent, but plasmashell freezes everytime the screen goes to sleep

Gnome and KDE both have annoyances but Gnome will reliably work the same OOTB on different distros and machines.

I think KDE just has a lot more moving parts which are points of failure.

My DE of choice. My primary system can breeze through GNOME/KDE, but Xfce is just too convenient and comfy. It lets me do what i want, it's customisable and stable as fuck.

I use LXDE on my netbook, but will at some point move to LXQt.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-27_00-34-12.png (1920x1080, 2.29M)

I don’t know what Ubuntu does, but using GNOME on Ubuntu and using GNOME on Fedora feels different. Fedora feels way more responsive, stable and overall polished. Ubuntu’s GNOME is stitched together from different versions and with baked in extensions, so I guess that might be a part of the problem.

Not an issue on Mint Xfce

Ah cool. I'm still on 16.04

I really want to like KDE, but it just doesn’t feel as polished as Gnome does. GTK apps look out of place, while Qt apps under GTK look just fine. Settings are a mess. Interfaces are often weirdly designed. Plasma shell crashes quite often. I love how smooth and performant Qt is though.

I just wish Linux wasn’t divided like this in the GUI department. If everyone just worked on one or the other Linux desktop could’ve been somewhere else.

I'm on 18.10, to be specific.

Literally Gtk/Gnome's fault.
KDE is more willing to respect other platforms and devs. Gn*me is outright hostile and expects other devs to conform to their standards.

KDE absolutely lacks polish but a lot of those setting options aren't even present in Gnome or require a third-party program.

If everyone just worked on "the" Linux desktop we would create something just as bad as Windows and OSX.

There should be many standards so that userspace isn't affected but there's nothing bad about the constant forking inherent to open source.

ever heard of vsync?

>while Qt apps under Gnome look just fine
ftfy

>have to explicitly state that I want a tear free experience.
the absolute state of linux

Today, OP was a pretty cool guy
XFCE is light enough to run on an ARM chromebook with no GPU drivers and be comfy
Gnome is not
Even the Gnome greeter is too laggy to use
Sad

Tis

Attached: fdf.png (1023x703, 605K)