Ultimate 32-bit Machine

So I'm interested making the ultimate 32-bit machine, however I want it to be as power efficient as possible. With the following attributes in mind, what kind of CPU/Motherboard/GPU etc. should I get?

>Ports
Serial, Parallel, SCSI, IDE (Floppy).
>OS
Dualboot 98SE/DOS and Windows XP for best of both worlds (9x/NT)

Attached: 718zw2oZWRL._SL1491_.jpg (1200x1491, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273212341013
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why

Because I'm a masochist.

I think you need you own definition

I got the same idea today op. Got got two Pentium 4s from work today. Gonna make them work. I don't know why I took the typewriter, I just hated the idea of it going into the trash.

Attached: IMG_20181026_222552267-1280x960.jpg (1280x960, 237K)

A raspberry pi.
No 32bit x86 machine will be power efficient in the slightest.

If you can find the boards (they're rare as fuck though, and not cheap as a result), you can get a Core Duo (not Core 2, Core Duo, the 32-bit predecessor and essentially a pair of Pentium Ms welded together) for dual-core 32-bit action.

This, a transitional core 2 duo board with ide, serial, and floppy is the best retro system.

>IDE
no

Core Duo boards if you can find them should have SATA ports. It did start coming into mass adoption around that time period.

OP here, my original plan was to use a power efficient Pentium 4 but damn. These things blow even a Pentium D in the dust, if Passmark is to be accurate.

Attached: Screenshot_20181026-215615~01.png (1441x876, 117K)

Not bad for a pair of souped up P3's welded together with a fat chunk of L2 cache, some new instruction sets and more clockrates.

So I just found these but it's in China? I can't tell if they're brand new or Original though.
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273212341013

If you're willing to risk buying something from china go ahead.

>Pentium 4
>power efficient
wat

I'm finding t2600's for like $5-$10. How do I find a compatible motherboard? I can't imagine just any socket 478 motherboard will work.

Excuse me I believe it's Socket M.

You want 945GM motherboards, but good luck. China at this point is the only ones with the remaining ATX-compatible boards. Everything else is a laptop board. Told you these fuckers are rare.

You don't need a 64-bit incapable CPU to run a 32-bit Operating System, you do know that right?

Core 2 series would be fine

>I don't understand what "32-bit" and "machine" mean when put together

Yes I know that, I run DOS on my t410. I'm trying to have an authentic 32-bit machine. You can't run 16-bit programs on 64-bit CPUs that I know of.

You can. Just not while booted in to a 64bit OS.
I've fucking ran CP/M on a 64 bit machine for kicks.
Just keep in mind, anything DOS you run you'll never have proper sound drivers unless you have an ISA slot on your PC, so that means P3 or Athlon would be the newest chips you would want. And don't fall for that trash PCI sound cards in DOS.

why not

Even if I get a PCI to ISA adapter (If they exist)?

A Core Duo, I guess.
>Dualboot 98SE/DOS and Windows XP
Oh, you're a fucking retard.

No such thing, well, kinda
Big thing being that ISA is built around DMA access, PCI has no DMA access.
There /are/ adapters but they're really expensive because their aimed at manufacturing, not for consumer, and it wont fix the DMA issue.

get a sound blaster live. it works as a sb16 in dos.

Attached: IMG_20181027_001052.jpg (4000x3000, 1.93M)

You should work on that handwriting, you write like a child.

Christ user that's not the focus. Anyways. Some bum gave it to me for helping him with his PC. I haven't tried it but I hope it'll work as an sb16.

fuck, i had one of those in my P4 build in 2003 or 2004
I think there was a "value" edition, too. may have been an earlier model

Is there a cheap Video Card compatible with 3dfx or more specifically Unreal Tournament?

yes that's a good one

Any of the ones with OpenGL 1.4 (perhaps less) support and a Glide wrapper

So like would a great GT 210 or 310 work?

>power efficient Pentium 4
lol

>laptop chip vs desktop chip

I have one too.
friendly reminder you can play UT'99 on a 64bit OS, and every windows/linux distro you can think of starting from 2000/2001.

on top of that, look up dgVooDoo which is what I use to play mechwarrior 3 on win7x64 with no issues

a gt 210 is a piece of shit, but i guess it's easier than getting a geforce 4 MX440 or whatever for 'authentic' oldschool shit.

a gt210 is unironically faster than a gt610 though.
goddamn those things are pieces of shit.

I have one of these, when I was younger I connected an IDE cable to the pins on the right cos I didn't know better. It melted something on the board. Put a blob of solder where it melted and it still works lmao.

Why though

earlier soundcards actually did have proprietary cd-rom data connectors on them

Attached: 970px-SC_OAK_OTI601_Mozart.jpg (970x663, 186K)

gt610 can't even draw steam big picture ui at 1080p/60fps.