Linux laptop

I have my old uni laptop with Windows 8 and a tonne of bloatware, but I want to do a clean install of Linux so I can give it to someone in their 60s to use (as opposed to squinting at their phone).

What is the most accessible, clean, user friendly Linux distro I could get?

Thanks Jow Forums

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

I'm thinking Mint so far. Seems nice and vanilla.

Debian stable with Cinimin

lubuntu.

Attached: lubuntu.png (1920x1080, 905K)

Devuan
or
Refracta

Attached: 1525637695855.gif (250x263, 155K)

Manjaro is boo

Install Gentoo.
Keep their mind active.

Fedora, probably.

Ubuntu mate or linux mint mate.
This what my dad first learned how to use.

Ubuntu Mate or one of the Linux Mint varieties.

Thanks everyone. I'll look into everything that's been posted.

Manjaro

Don't be an autist; nstead install windows 7.
They will be complaining to you that programs they downloaded don't work, among other things.

Definitely Mint. Updates don't pester you like they do in *buntu, and theres TImeshift in case he does anything stupid on accident. Just set up Timeshift to make daily snapshots and tell him to click the update icon when it turns blue.

>They will be complaining to you that programs they downloaded don't work, among other things.

They'll be using a browser to access emails and YouTube. That's it.

Debian stable with MATE, or with KDE but then you need to turn off the desktop compositor and add extra lines to the a xorg config file like provided.

Attached: pic related.png (638x483, 26K)

Wasn't that only really necessary with XFCE? Install Xubuntu btw.

Kubuntu. It just works

Install GhostBSD instead.

>What is the most accessible, clean, user friendly Linux distro I could get?

Manjaro

>Ubuntu
This is how I know you are a retard with Linux.

Still unstable, wait 2 years.

Ubantu 12

install gentoo

>Ubantu
Ayy my sides are kill. Can't even write it out but gives tech tips. Fucking low IQ pajeet.

Mint Xfce

Ubuntou

OP here. I'm trying Mint. Currently can't get the WiFi to register, negating the entire exercise. This is why people don't use Linux, btw. Working on it though.

Ubnutu

debian & mate works fine on my T60

I enjoy elementary

I spent about 6 hours trying to get the Broadcom WiFi drivers installed to no avail. Looks like that's an almost ubiquitous problem for almost all Linux distros.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.