Is there ONE SINGLE online translator that can even remotely translate Japanese accurately...

Is there ONE SINGLE online translator that can even remotely translate Japanese accurately? How the fuck are online translators still so shitty?

Attached: google-translate-logo-42DAD4AA91-seeklogo.com.png (300x294, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GAgp7nXdkLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just learn japanese you weeb

>I know only one language and don't get how hard and context-dependent translation is

No.

Attached: 1540478188743.jpg (664x764, 34K)

Attached: ab5944258811f54f6702d62f59c29ab0.png (600x863, 339K)

This. It'll make ya better at life if ya do it right.

Attached: CC2 CG short 4chan.webm (800x450, 2.96M)

There are far more useful languages like Farsi and Amharic

Did you mean to say French, Spanish or Mandarin??

Those are infinitely more useful than Japanese

I found Google Translate's hand drawing translation extremely helpful when I was visiting Kyoto.

>Learn Japanese
>Create your own translator

>automatic translators
>ever anything but complete and utter dogshit

Dictionaries are the only way to get good translations.

It's extremely hard because Japanese has too many hononyms, and basically anything can mean the complete opposite based on the context.

Are there any online translators with grammar awareness?

Japanese is extremely context-sensitive so isolated snippets of sentences are impossible to translate. This is not tied to shitty algorithms. It would be just as hard for a human. The only way to translate Japanese is to do large amount of text at once.

what are kanjis

>French
Language for faggots and aspiring-faggots
>Spanish
Actually useful if you know how to apply it ( carrying factories to México is a great fucking deal)
>Mandarin
Pic related

Attached: Do not learn chinese.png (1400x5552, 946K)

Useless when entire parts of a sentence are omitted because readers are supposed to guess them based on context. Kanjis certainly do help for homonyms though.

/thread

>How the fuck are online translators still so shitty?
youtube.com/watch?v=GAgp7nXdkLU

tl;dw Language is based on shared experience and culture which is basically impossible to program. Even something simple like "you" can be difficult to translate as many other languages have different versions of "you" which provide different connotations. When translating a sentence, the program doesn't ask you what the relationship between the speaker and the listener is but in many languages and cultures you can't form a sentence without taking that into account.

And that's ignoring all the idioms and prepackaged phrases people constantly use daily.

>Language is based on shared experience and culture which is basically impossible to program.

Then why are common languages like spanish russian and french completely understandable when put through google translate? Nips are just too retarded to have a language that makes god damn since, 99% of them don't even know half of their 50 trillion character alphabet.

Attached: 1540506716804.jpg (361x361, 17K)

The structure difference between Japanese and say English is much much greater than the structure difference between English and other European languages. Like somebody else mentioned, it is more dependent on context (unless you spell everything out perfectly, which would make you seem like you're trying to speak to a 5 year old). You've words that take an entire sentence to represent in another language, and vice versa. There might be jokes that cannot be translated like using another kanji with the same reading for a word, or a word in which the furigana is the actual punchline. One could go on and on. Most of these issues are readily apparent if you speak more than one language.
>completely understandable
Not really, and since you're using a translator, you cannot be 100% certain that you've received the actual meaning.

Shut it down

Attached: dsd.jpg (1938x826, 307K)

If we're lucky, deepl will support Japanese someday.

Attached: deepl.png (890x714, 28K)

>french
I'm Canadian and speak french. There's a lot of french Canadien words and sentences that won't translate properly because it's not "Paris french".

>Pis, t’aimes-tu mon char? Si t’as frette, dis-moé-lé, gêne-toé pas!
Won't translate but it wouldn't be uncommon to hear. Pis, frette, moé, and toé won't be found in dictionaries but it doesn't mean people won't speak it or write it.

Google translates that to:
>And, do you love my chariot? If you have a fret, said me, do not worry!
But it's meaning is "And how's the ride? If you're cold don't worry about telling me"

Japanese is strange language that has specific words for retarded purpose (like testing a sword on humans) but has assload of homonyms for everyday situations.

You'd think that smart nation would develop a language that is actually useful not this kind of monkey-speak.

>Thinking 1-1 translation between any 2 languages is possible.

This is not much of a problem of translating between languages as the ambiguity of language itself.

>You'd think that smart nation would develop a language that is actually useful not this kind of monkey-speak.
Don't tell any asians this, but all asian languages are heavily influenced by chinese. It's why so many asian countries have multiple writing and numbering systems. One is native and the other is the chinese import. It'd be hard to do what Korea did in the 1400's and just invent a better system and try to get everyone to stop using the old one. (It probably worked out better when most people couldn't read or write to begin with)

As for the homonyms you can look at it this way. The average college educated english speaker knows about 10,000 words whereas the average college educated chinese speaker knows 3,000. Both are just as educated and can express themselves precisely how they want, but chinese allows for this to happen while requiring people to memorize less unique words. If anything english is overly verbose while chinese is efficient.

Their language works for them and they managed to create a language the enhances the cuteness of cute girls. Any language has "words for retarded purpose". Where do you get these ideas? Might as well make every single country go with Spanish or something instead. You can't just say "Shit, our language doesn't work, lets change everything and make sure our massive population gets fluent fast enough so we don't tank!". Nobody went for efficiency back in the day, especially back when the Chinese pioneered their writing, or when the Japanese adopted some of it. Simplifying kanji was already a pain, how are you going to change grammar and words on a large scale? Besides that, people, their culture and the way they think shape the language. Have you actually tried learning Japanese seriously? Do you even speak more than one language decently? It's much easier to understand this issue if you do.
As mentioned before, you do not need to be ambiguous. I'm sure you could translate a contract decently with google translate. You're gonna have a hard time getting a good translation out of random lines you pasted from a doujinshi though. I don't know about you, but in my first language it is normal to be ambiguous, too, when conversing with friends, family, etc.

just start studying the grammar and particles and stuff until you're basically on the level where you can read the entire sentence and piece together what it means just by looking up a couple of kanji

Attached: onQb1VV.png (1122x752, 653K)

Well, I mean, nowadays words don't really mean anything and people can barely communicate in the same language.

>by looking up every single fucking word
kill me

学んでいますよ。

Because japanese is a complicated fucking language to say the list, as somebody who lived in Japan for 4 years, holy shit its mind boggling.

>"Shit, our language doesn't work, lets change everything and make sure our massive population gets fluent fast enough so we don't tank!"
There are plenty of examples and Japanese is one of them. They split off from Chinese and reworked much of it. Other example could be some European languages during the 19th century. Granted, lot was resurrected from older times, but the languages were not same in the way you'd think.

The grammar is fairly simple (far simpler than English). For Kanji, read Heisig. Having stories for each character makes it much easier to distinguish between them.

Your comparison of 10k English against 3k Chinese words is exact opposite of what you think it is. It doesn't make Chinese language more efficient it, but makes it more ambiguous. I'd say that is exact opposite of what you want to have in science. Count of "meanings" is more important and it is obviously equivalent count, otherwise the languages would not be translatable between each other.

Sort of makes you respect the people who had to translate that shit on their own for video games back in the day before modern PCs, online resources, and web services were around.

on that note, i feel bad for any asian ESLs on their first encounter with a black person

just use a browser extension and hover.
for written type, learn stroke order and radicals so you can input them into jisho.org. use heisig's RTK to get familiar with kanji. i spent a short summer working on that book years ago and gained a wealth of knowledge from it. it's great. pair it with Genki and you'll turn what feels like an incomprehensible language into something that your brain can actually decode and begin to understand.

Attached: mCbhvXa.jpg (342x298, 38K)

What is this user?

>Your comparison of 10k English against 3k Chinese words is exact opposite of what you think it is
Not all chinese sentences are ambiguous. You can be verbose in chinese the same way you can be in english. Chinese just doesn't have all the small connecting words that can almost always be dropped and the sentence would still be clear

Why say lot word when few word do trick?

Attached: java vs scala.png (1267x913, 165K)

It's an image detailing why chinese companies are shitty thieving bastards that has multiple requests to take it down by chinese companies.

You're interchanging the syntax with number of characters. The Japanese has a problem that the language reuses a lot both in written and spoken language often not in the same way. Both of your examples have strict meaning without any ambiguity. Writing println will newer mean "read single line", which is not the case for lithographic languages. That being said, the certain level of ambiguity is expected, but there can be too much of it.

>just give a man a fish, don't bother to teach him how to fish lmao

>Give a man a fish, and you burden the taxpayer. Teach a man to fish, and you hurt local businesses. Just shut up and by my fish, you commie.

This but unironically.

>Having a language that literally is always changing forcing you to evolve
>Not switching between languages from the cognitive benefits
It's like you wanna stay a brainlet

Attached: he.png (375x375, 138K)

How does it do that?

>学
Only char I don't know in that

I barely know any kanji and even I know that one.

>heightened memorization and pattern recognition
>increased array of 'ways to think about tings'
>Larger array of conversation skills and people to network with
>Broadening of perspectives and paradigms

Attached: GROWTHMIND.png (250x286, 119K)

Attached: d6a.jpg (600x395, 37K)

Thanks
Am 85% done with Heisig's RTK1 and wanted some motivation
can confirm your points

This honestly. It's worth it.

It applies to any language of course

Attached: communicating.png (303x435, 26K)

gook languages are inconsistent and one word implies 1000 different things because gooks can't think outside the box

there will NEVER be proper translation for gook languages because of those reasons

Japanese has a smaller vocabulary than english you absolute nigger

spot the retard

>one word implies 1000 different things because gooks can't think outside the box
>he needs a special word for everything because he can't derive meaning from context

Learn Japanese so you can understand exactly how difficult it is to translate from Japanese/Chinese to any European language.

>gook languages are inconsistent
one word: ghoti

This, you don't even need to learn much more than the basic grammar structures to be able to fill in the gaps where machine translation fails. Japanese grammar is much more consistent than English (extremely few words conjugate irregularly and those that do are among the most common so you'll never forget them) and it doesn't take a lot of practice to recognize whether words are verbs, adjectives or nouns even if you can't read the actual meanings.

Only manual translations for japanese. Google translate is retarded. It though 400cc meant 400 megalitres and it has no idea about chilli species

???

Ironically, Google Translate has the hiragana "a" in their logo as if it's good at translating Japanese.

OP you are one retarded cunt. Learn a second language before forming an opinion about translations.

文 is not "a"

oh fuck, it was Bing.

Attached: 5353.image_5F00_thumb_5F00_76F1C20A.png (191x193, 13K)

Wow, I could also swear that there was an あ on it. What the heck

Attached: 68.png (850x445, 27K)

Exactly, weve been saying google translate is shit

Yet another Mandela Effect?

People shouldn't be allowed to use the internet without a very basic understanding of English, German, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Japanese and Korean. Learning a whole language takes a while sure, but you could become conversant in all of those except Mandarin and Arabic very quickly and there is nothing stopping you from doing it.

Good thing no one cares about what you think.

Hahahaha no, spoken like a true monolingual

what's the \G\-approved way of learning Japanese?

Learning mandarin instead

that shit about Mandarin can't be that bad. He's probably in the wrong industry and generalizing.
I'm studying electrical engineering and about halfway thru with Mandarin, can't be that bad right ? It's been fucking hard to learn

it means learning

>If anything english is overly verbose
Verbosity is necessary to open the door for creativity. Self-awareness has a lot to do with language, why do you think China is full of NPCs?

None because convening intended meaning from one language to another takes a great deal of human computation computers are simply incapable of right now. The best they can do is take give you the literal book translation of one word to another language and then vaguely follow grammatical rules.

Pic related for example is the literal translation of what I actually meant to convey which is: "Son of bitch, you'll pay for what you did!:"

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x900, 44K)

>implying Chinese text can't be self aware
Have you ever read Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den? Also, Chinese characters are interesting in the way they convey meanings. For instance, consider the word 鉛筆. The left character contains the word 金, referring to something related to metal, 八, referring to an expanse, and 口, referring to a mouth. Taken as a whole, these components are used to represent lead. We can remember this through the confusion in English in which the word lead can refer to graphene, and view it as a sheet of holes (like the molecular structure of graphene). The other character is simply made up of bamboo and a brush, and as a whole mean writing. Together, the two characters convey a meaning of writing with lead, and are assigned a meaning of pencil. Sure, you can be an ass an simply learn the characters by rote memorization. However, there's a rich structure to them that encourages visual learning techniques.

It only gets worse once you start to use informal speak/slang btw.

No.1 intended meaning: You could have helped her, don't be a faggot!
No.2 intended meaning: Fucking animal, it bit me.
No.3 intended meaning: Come here you little shit!

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x900, 48K)

Attached: ss (2018-10-28 at 02.52.30).png (117x31, 602)

:^)

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x900, 46K)

I shouldnt say Chinese is impossible to achieve this but it takes more natural self awareness (as you describe, a visual attention to detail when learning). Obviously Confucius could do this but the average modern Chinese has had his conceptualization so restricted. I feel English is easier to create depth even at a pleb level. To the point that writing/talking like a pleb in English is it's own philosophy of reaching the masses.

>Then why are common languages like spanish russian and french completely understandable when put through google translate?

They aren't, you just think they are.

In fact, Spanish can only be perfectly translated if the sentence in question doesn't have ANY kind of slang in it, which means it is either a very formal context or an usual business sentence, that is, the usual bullshit business language.
Spanish varies vastly per country, not even English has that much dialect diversity.

This, but unironically

This, if there was a room full of mexicans, salvadoreans, spaniards, and cubans and were forced to communicate most of them would have no idea what the others were talking about because somewhere along the line simple basic shit like a straw is defined by multiple words IN SPANISH. Popote, pitillo, pajilla, bombilla, Caña are just on of the few ways I've heard hispanics refer to a fucking straw. It's fucking bullshit.

Japanese has 3 basic building blocks
Kana: scribbly marks the nips invented to denote vocal sounds
Kangxi radicals: these are the building blocks of all kanji
Kanji: These are a mix of kangxi that give meaning to very specific pictographs

I suggest you work very hard to memorize the first two, learning how to write the first is optional (but helpful). Once you got those down you have to start learning kanji by grade level (~1000 from grade school to middle school and ~1000 from high school). Once you got a main grasp of all this it's time to start using them in sentences and slowly learning to make sentences of your own. In a year or two you'll be proficient enough to ask your local fat japanese westaboo girl out.

While it would help get the kanji down it would do nothing to help you learn how they're implemented in japanese.

Attached: 1538357000282.png (612x526, 326K)

>me mordio
Can't spell correctly and complains about the quality of the translation. It's mordió.
Learn your own fucking language.

>Then why are common languages like spanish russian and french completely understandable when put through google translate?
This is absolutely untrue especially for spanish given how much central countries have botched standard spaniard spanish by making up their own little faggot words for everyday items like soda, straw, and dessert.

>Nips are just too retarded to have a language that makes god damn since
Their language makes loads of sense, you're just too stupid to learn grade school japanese in less than a month.

>99% of them don't even know half of their 50 trillion character alphabet.
They don't need to, ~1000 already makes you middle school literate and ~2,000 high school level literate. More than that is just for show or getting into collage.

My bad, most of us rarely formerly speak spanish and even less formally write it. It's easy to forget to put that stupid tilde.

>falling for the radical meme
Just learn words and you learn kanji. You will naturally pick up radicals along the way.

Equating orthography with the language itself is stupid and retarded.
A language is something spoken, how you write it is a different matter altogether.

Google's honestly works pretty damn well. I would know since I played a japanese only MMO using my phones translation tool to follow what NPC's were saying.
Goddamn it I miss SMT:Imagine, Rest in Peace

And it better be in C.

>tfw I'm a spaniard but I don't know how to use tildes in spanish
I'm surprised I managed to get through high school.