Kernel is COC'd

>kernel is COC'd
>Most of the userland (GNU) is COC'd
>systemd has one vulnerability after the next
>massive amount of corporate money
>microshit can make execeutive desisions on the linux (((foundation)))
>linus is a libshit, apperently "embarrassed" of being american now that trump is in office
>NSA owns the kernel through redhat

Tell me Jow Forums, why haven't you jumped off this sinking ship?
Dragonfly and OpenBSD will give you the same gentooman experience but with true freedom. If OpenBSD doesn't support your hardware/setup dragonfly will. The latter also has wine support and ports from both free and openbsd so there isn't a single package that you would miss.

Attached: the-eternal-pufferfish.gif (800x725, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152465462030464&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=154050453117246&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154050351216908&w=2
eecs.harvard.edu/margo/papers/usenix00/paper.pdf)
man.openbsd.org/bwi.4
github.com/NanXiao/free
lwn.net/Articles/616097/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't support cuck licences.

OpenBSD has a shit filesystem.
And if i 'm to use dragonfly i want to use it on a machine too useless to be used in any other way in 2018.(like my pentium M laptop)

honestly if a company uses my code and adds some garbage to it I really don't want it back.
OpenBSD especially is ideologically pure, the code is clean and consistant.

>honestly if a company uses my code and adds some garbage to it I really don't want it back.
I honestly could not care less how you feel about this.

dragonlfy is basically like any other linux distro at this point

Attached: 2018-10-27-105441_582x513_scrot.png (582x513, 131K)

You can run Xorg on any BSD, but you don't have to.

I'll stop using Linux when there's a good microkernel for a daily driver.

The whole no trim support is holding me back from using it. Other than that, I'd be on board

I'd rather not buy SSDs every month

>>systemd has one vulnerability after the next

Just die out already, brainlet. You don't have to use systemd. OpenBullShiD will become viable in 20 years for computers made in 2018.

>OpenBSD especially is ideologically pure, the code is clean and consistant.
Uses unaudited linux graphics drivers

Google fuchsia is only a few years away

>google product
>not CoC'd
Are you fucking retarded?

he didn't mention anything in his post about an opposition to CoCks

dragonfly has trim support, and luks support. and fucking HAMMER

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>and probably more

Is this supposed to be an arguement against OpenBSD or against all unixes? If it's the latter, ok. If it's the former, nobody said that OpenBSD was perfect but it is much much better than everything else (unless you are a gaymer).
FWIW, OpenBSD has the Xorg server in userspace while everybody else runs it with root privs.

Everything in your list is either false or relevant only to gaymers. I agree that OpenBSD is not gamer friendly.

seething cope

why the fuck would xorg not be in userspace lmao I'm never switching to any bsd

Only happened because the vulnerability was under embargo and upstream didn't told the OpenBSD devs, while providing information to other projects.

pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20181026_161212.png (1415x888, 243K)

this is a load of bullcrap. i use openbsd on a dated laptop from 2014 and have never had an ssd issue (wear or otherwise).

You don't need TRIM. SSDs will last their expected lifespan without it due to built-in wear leveling. Don't believe me, believe (radical pro-BSD anti-Linux shill?) Ted T'so:
quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically

Unfortunate reality, the OpenBSD-built stuff is very good but X and graphics drivers is the elephant in the room of something of dubious quality they have to take wholesale from upstream that's too large to reasonably audit. Same code as runs on Linux, of course.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152465462030464&w=2

setuid Xorg is a pretty glaring fucking issue, yes. Obviously OpenBSD doesn't do that anymore as of two days ago. They should never have kept it that way for so long. Frankly though this is an exception, and most of the time OpenBSD makes better choices than Linux in terms of privilege minimization and security.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=154050453117246&w=2

the embargo wasn't the problem, it's that one person (the X security person who is also part of OpenBSD) didn't realize the severity of the bug so he didn't tell anyone about it. Theo looks pretty mad.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154050351216908&w=2

>kernel is COC'd
Linus is back, shit will get better
>Most of the userland (GNU) is COC'd
The GNU CoC is actually good. It's a slap in the face to the SJWs and Corey.
>systemd has one vulnerability after the next
You don't have to use systemd.
>massive amount of corporate money
A good thing.
>microshit can make execeutive desisions on the linux (((foundation)))
Not a problem.
>linus is a libshit, apperently "embarrassed" of being american now that trump is in office
Give him some time, his retarded daughter poisoned his mind.
This is somewhat legit, but it's free software that can be audited. The NSA has attempted direct Linux backdoors, like the Ted Tso scandal or the shitty encryption algorithm thing, but they've been rejected. It's probably OK.
>Tell me Jow Forums, why haven't you jumped off this sinking ship?
No Wine. Not rolling release.

source on that one faggot?

>a robust filesystem such as zfs, btrfs, or hammer2
implying what currently works for the developers and users doesn't work
>any kind of journaling fs
alternative is soft updates which performs comparably to journaling and better many cases (eecs.harvard.edu/margo/papers/usenix00/paper.pdf)
>broadcom
why the hell would you consider using broadcom with anything foss? either way gradually getting there man.openbsd.org/bwi.4
>bluetooth
noone actually wants this
>luks/dm-crypt
builtin disk encryption is fine
>linux compatibility layer
cringe and bluepilled bloat feature, look at freebsd failing to implement this properly
>mounting ext filesystems
can mount ext2 read only
>free(1)
someone wrote a tool github.com/NanXiao/free + why not just use top?
>lsblk
do you even need this when you can get the functional equivalent by dmesg | grep "^[sw]d" then using disklabel or sysctl ?

>integrated botnet

GNU isn't CoC'd. In fact it's anti-CoC.

>good microkernel
it's called NT

>If OpenBSD doesn't support your hardware/setup dragonfly will
Half a year since I filed a bug report and Intel 8260 is still not supported.

I'll go back to using it on my desktop instead of only my servers once they get support for the RX580 and the Ryzen2400G since I don't plan on changing from this setup to a new one

>you don't have to use systemd
ok which distro do i use instead and dont say void, crux, duvean, gentoo please, and it's difficult to manage an install without it when everything is gradually becoming more dependant on systemd due to scope creep
>massive amount of corporate money being a good thing
not when the priorities shift. look at freebsd, just a tool for netflix to tide over their ex solaris workers, what happened to innovation?

>doesn't change anything in os space, exactly the same, no innovation whatsoever

then are people that interested? i'd like to see this too. please port the linux driver.

>give me alternatives!
>btw (alternatives) don't count!
Just for (You), Artix has both OpenRC and runit, and there's no systemd at all in the repos.

literally never heard of that distro before. the reason why those distros don't count is because they all suck in the ports because noone actually uses them. case in point crux is still on chrome 65, void also lacks in this space, duvean is like a frankenstein even slower to follow releases debian. the operating system you're using doesn't mean shit if you're not willing to pay with your time constantly if all the packages aren't in use/being updated.

GNU literally just adopted a CoC

Proof?

They "literally" didn't.
It's a non-enforced set of guidelines that are merely a suggestion rather than a rule.
Stop trying to find a quick 'gotcha' to win the argument. You faggots keep trying and failing, expecting shit to change. Legit insanity.

>OpenBSD
I prefer my systems without local root exploits everywhere, so I run Darwin.

i'm against cocs but this bottom of the barrel retard friendly bikeshedding needs to die fuck

you can't use darwin with anything aside from macos realistically.
>uses complicated wm ipc
>gets smacked by webkit attacks

Attached: youre gonna need a bigger bait.png (123x123, 2K)

Wrong.

What are the chances I get dragonfly running on my laptop? It's the only device I use for serious development.

There is a live image and it takes 4min to set up xorg and xfce, try it. (There are some good youtube videos explaining the process)

just make sure you test it on live hardware. vms wont let you see how performant it really is.

>Port Linux Driver
First of all, there are working drivers on OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
Second, I already maintain a couple of packages for Void where everything actually works and is recent. Why would I want to go to a system that is far worse for me as end user and go into all the trouble to learn how to Port drivers?

CoCs are libtard bikeshedding to begin with. OP is just a fag for buying into it.
Dragonfly and OpenBSD will either be CoC'd soon or face the loss of their corporate sponsorship.
If you want to enact political change I would suggest actually involving yourself in the political process instead of trying to shoehorn a computer operating system (of all things) into your own retarded Jow Forums-tier political beliefs.

Have you said hi to the NSA while checking your phone today? Because it's either that or you have a custom ROM for which you can thank the GPL.

OpenBSD:
""For a two-year period in the early 2000s, the project received funding from DARPA, which "paid the salaries of 5 people to work completely full-time, bought about $30k in hardware, and paid for 3 hackathons", from the POSSE project.""

Until Theo spoke against the US invasion of Iraq and their lost the funding.

Attached: 1512215072681.jpg (1024x768, 214K)

Why are RMS' cheeks so red in that picture?

theo got him drunk and tried to fuck him

It's lupus.

I dont own a tracking device.

damn, look at theo in that picture. Fit, tall, looks at the camera straight on with no hesitation.
Compare that to foot cheese-kun who's bloated, slow and has dirty glasses. Just like linux

>Tell me Jow Forums, why haven't you jumped off this sinking ship?
Already have, am running OpenBSD now

Go look at the mirror. Faggot.

Attached: 1390394187924.gif (720x720, 24K)

>>bluetooth
>noone actually wants this

Attached: Bait - Maximum Over Bait.gif (625x626, 529K)

Mainly because if you read the GNU one you'd know it was Stallman warding off the blue haired crowd and not inviting them. He explicitly says that he's not forcing anything in anyone and can't (and won't) give out punishments for not following it, plus his line about how "diversity is not a goal".

>kernel is COC'd
My install has been faster since the CoC update. BSDtards are just too stupid to implement one.

Dragonfly bsd doesnt have wine dipshit. It has not had it for years...
furthermore neither operating systems are going to give you anything resembling a modern desktop experience it will be worse than using windows 9.x

>lol do you even need features on your os

>builtin disk encryption is fine

You are a fucking retard. Why even use encryption if you're going to trust on-disk shit that the NSA has already backdoored? This place is full of LARPers.

Attached: 1521918157579.gif (209x213, 1.73M)

>corporate sponsorship
which corporate sponsorship?

source fag?

I installed it on my dell laptop and deleted it as soon as I realized it doesn't support my new intel hd chipset, and yes I did install and activate the intel xorg driver, it's useless

It is literally impossible to install OpenBSD and use the latest version of mpv to watch the anime on my ext4 filesystem.

prove it nigger

what model dell? because I have openbsd on my t450s and it works fine

dragonflybsd

The original NT kernel was actually a bretty gud microkernel.

I like virtual hugs

openbsd's softraid disk encryption is fine.

openbsd likes hugs. no coc here.

I gave up, and switched to MacOS. If my operating system is going to be botnet tranny shit, I'd prefer that it at least doesn't have screen tearing like a mofo.

>not just running emacs on a hardened linux kernel

Attached: black-flag-of-emacs.png (442x274, 40K)

Linux has better support and can do more in spite of all of your grief.

Attached: muhnips.png (354x528, 205K)

Since when running something as root does not mean running it in userspace? Everything outside the kernel it's userspace

I would take microsoft botnet than google

>source on that one faggot?
> Herrb last gave a status report at FOSDEM in early 2013, so this talk was an update since then. Most of the user-space components are more recent versions than those used by the other BSDs (e.g. Mesa 10.2.7, X server 1.16.1, etc.), though the DRM/KMS drivers for Intel and Radeon are also based on the Linux 3.8 versions. One downside to importing Linux code is that it won't be reviewed by OpenBSD kernel developers because they won't read code that does not conform to the BSD coding style.
lwn.net/Articles/616097/

No idea if things have changed in the last few years

plan9 is unaffected by this

Good point. What i meany was that in OpenBSD Xorg runs without root privs in userspace. Compromising it cannot escalate to gaining root access. The same cant be said for linux/freebsd/dragonflybsd.

Not really freetard because i'm not a gaymer.

>Dragonfly and OpenBSD
Slow package manager.
No drivers.
Shit community.
No games.

Great post user.

>Slow package manager.
Citation and comparison with other package managers required.

>No drivers.
>No games.
Sure. Because OpenBSD is developed by men who make a living out of it and not for manchildren who want to play le games.

>Shit community
OpenBSD has the best community hands down. Want help? FIRST read all the available docs and then ask away. No handholding, no tolerance for SJWs and shills like ITT.

Really, i wish OpenBSD will never become popular and change like all other projects have into a clusterfuck of politics.

>Sure. Because OpenBSD is developed by men who make a living out of it and not for manchildren who want to play le games.

>use our system
>but it doesn't have x
>grown men don't need no x
Every time.

>not just using smartOS and virtualizing everything

KVM
I know it's being worked on, but until there is a KVM+VFIO equivalent that works for VGA, it's just not useful to me.

opeBSD can't into virtualization? dockers? lxd/lxc containers?

Attached: Jq9aZSk.jpg (226x250, 5K)

VFIO is my requirement, not just virt.
It's being worked on (bhyve), but it's flakey, doesn't work with VGA and isn't at all ported to openBSD yet (it's a freebsd project)

9front is the gayest shit to hit the internet since your dumb ass starting posting here faggot

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

>Dragonfly
>try to look it up
>first result seems to be official page
>DNS cannot resolve page
Sasuga.

>OpenBSD has a shit filesystem.
The filesystem is fine, you are just a retarded kid who also cries that most programming languages are shit. Everything has its purpose, OpenBSD has specific purposes and if you'd be smart enough to realize that you wouldn't be saying such nonsense.

Typical de/g/enerate ni/g/ger fa/g/got

Soon there will be only one OS anyway.
The Cloud.

If you don't contribute it wont improve.

What are the specific purposes of OpenBSD?