THE CHINESE HAVE REACHED 5NM

>while intel kills 10nm

Attached: 1537998341954.png (1827x1147, 2.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/5nm.htm
extremetech.com/computing/278742-tsmc-announces-first-euv-7nm-risk-production-5nm-tapeouts-in-q2-2019
wsj.com/articles/taiwans-technology-secrets-come-under-assault-from-china-1530468440
anandtech.com/show/13445/tsmc-first-7nm-euv-chips-taped-out-5nm-risk-in-q2
eetasia.com/news/article/18100502-tsmc-to-start-5nm-production-in-april
hackaday.com/2018/10/08/new-part-day-the-risc-v-chip-with-built-in-neural-networks/
eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1333318
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Taiwan isn't China, Xhang.

Ehh it might as well be

This is why China will succeed where America has fallen. They're creating life in artificial wombs while we're debating over preferred gender pronoun use.

chinese taipei is in China. but opinions vary

as for 5nm, coming in April doesn't mean it's reached now or that there won't be delays

the reason nvidia's 2080 and specially the 2080ti is priced so insanely high is that those price-points limit the demand for those cards to where the supply can meet it. those chips are really big and yields are absolutely horrible on TSMCs 7nm node. I'm guessing that's why AMDs new Vega GPUs are delayed; there's still some issues to be ironed out on 7nm. looking to 5nm is premature.

Attached: taiwan-not-chinese-taipei1.jpg (450x338, 25K)

>Chinese 5nm
More like 5 nautic miles

How will TSMC 5nm compare to Samsung 7nm, which uses EUV lithography? TSMC 5nm still uses traditional immersion lithography.

I wish they'd start naming process technology in nm^2

Fucking what? No.
TSMC is an EUV foundry. They have a 7nm EUV process ramping up now, and their 5nm node has even heavier inclusion of EUV, up to 14 critical layers.

No, TSMC 5nm is still 193 nm immersion lith. TSMC is the only foundry still using immersion lith at 5 nm while Samsung already has 7nm EUV in production and Intel is prepping EUV for 7nm.

Again, no.
tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/5nm.htm
>TSMC’s 5nm FinFET adopts EUV Lithography for more critical layers to reduce multi-pattern process complexity while achieving aggressive die area scaling.

extremetech.com/computing/278742-tsmc-announces-first-euv-7nm-risk-production-5nm-tapeouts-in-q2-2019
> the 5nm node will be capable of deploying EUV on up to 14 layers.

WHAT.
IS.
A.
NANOMETER.

HOW.
MANY.
ARE.
THERE?

>coming in April doesn't mean it's reached now or that there won't be delays
They've already taped out 5nm, April is the predicted risk production. That said, most people apparently expect the performance increase from 7nm to 5nm to be fairly small.

wsj.com/articles/taiwans-technology-secrets-come-under-assault-from-china-1530468440

Taiwan is not China

China is brazen enough to even try and steal TSMC's tech

> chinese
nice bait

it's a bullshit measurement

anandtech.com/show/13445/tsmc-first-7nm-euv-chips-taped-out-5nm-risk-in-q2

5nm EUV compared to 7nm EUV is supposed to use 20% less power, have 15% higher perf, and a 45% reduction in die area.
That isn't tremendous, but its solid for a totally new process. They'll squeeze a lot more out of it as its refined.

Kek. Have you seen the size of the die? It is HUGE, they are expensive because the die is huge, 7nm are alreadly sampling Zen 2 and Vega 20 is a reality. Going for 7nm isnt just shrinking, it also need redesign of the chip so leaks don't happen.

True.

So-called "7nm" has no features smaller than about 40nm, and most features are much larger.

All just marketing bullshit to hide the fact that Moore's law has been dead for years.

>this retard saw an info graphic about mmp and cpp and thinks those were the actual dimensions of the transistors on the FEOL
Protip: You should stop posting here

>Chinese taipei
try better next time

it will be

any news on 3nm?
I think I saw it on TSMC web on the silicon wiki long ago, so if they're taking such big leaps in 5 and 7 then 3 can't be that much far away, unless they see no competition and decide to stay on 5 to keep costs down

TSMC has two 5nm processes. EUV 5nm is coming in late 2019 or 2020. The one they claim to be near mass production is immersion 5nm.

few more years Dick

RTX cards are not using 7nm

>Taiwan isn't China
Yes it is (or at least they claim to be). That's why Taiwan doesn't have an actual seat at the UN anymore and China does

>TSMC
They're actively working to stop the chinks from stealing their tech

I'm not sure about their 3nm process. I think Samsung has officially stated they're moving to GAA at 3nm. I'm not sure if TSMC has spoken about anything that far ahead yet.

Nigger, the process they're talking about entering risk production in April is EUV.
eetasia.com/news/article/18100502-tsmc-to-start-5nm-production-in-april
>SAN JOSE, Calif. — TSMC taped out its first chip in a process making limited use of extreme ultraviolet lithography and will start risk production in April on a 5-nm node with full EUV.

Back in January of this year they made it perfectly crystal clear that they would have volume production 5nm EUV lines ready for volume production in 1H 2020. They announced their 5nm EUV entering risk production in April of next year because it is keeping in line with their previously disclosed schedule.
Stop talking out of your ass when you're this laughably out of depth.

Actually i think we wont be seeing lower than 5 in the next 5 years.
As I understand it TSMC are risking big money to reach 5nm.

if TSMC actually paid their employees well they wouldn't have to worry, so fuck them

>1H 2020

Three Chinese kids have created and manufactured 64-bit RISC-V chips with built in neural net instructions for $6 while Americans shitpost on Jow Forums
hackaday.com/2018/10/08/new-part-day-the-risc-v-chip-with-built-in-neural-networks/

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1333318

Samsung, IBM, and Global Foundries took part in an extensive collaborative project to develop high performance GAA logic a few years ago. They came up with a way to produce GAAs they called "nano sheets" on a 5nm process. Samsung will be implementing some of the tech they came up with in a 3nm node in 2021.

Yes, thats how that works.
Risk production in 1H 2019, a year to debug and tweak the process, then volume production in 2020.

I'm beginning to think we're in trouble lads
All the bots are a Chinese plot to derail American competitiveness
It seems more plausible than Russian bots to select which Boomer should run the country for four years

Taiwan is the true China, while the P*oples Republic of China is an imposter state occupying rightful Nationalist clay.

>taiwan republic of china

The 7nm name comes from the smallest critical dimension on the chip, but it's really to differentiate this generation from 10nm and above.

This.

>Taiwan is not China
If anything, PRC is not China.

based chinks overlords
>unironically believing this

Attached: 1536671793503.jpg (800x430, 38K)

At this point the names are completely made up and don't reflect any actual measurements on the chip.

NOOOOOO INTELBROS WE MUST FIGHT FOR JEWISH PEOPLE AND DIVERSITY

Attached: 1536612142306.png (504x400, 91K)

This.

Saying Taiwan isn't China is like saying Western Germany wasn't German because they didn't turn communist.

>The 7nm name comes from the smallest critical dimension on the chip

Which is much larger than 7nm.

They use a theoretical size based on performance compared to older nodes.
ie: "it performs as if it were 7nm while all other factors stayed the same"

So now it's just a marketing thing? Did they change that for 10nm?

die invader

>So now it's just a marketing thing? Did they change that for 10nm?
They changed that a long time ago. Intel was the last one using actual measurements, but even they stopped doing that around 32nm.

Taiwan #1

Its mostly marketing, though its far more complex than the idiots ITT are making it seem.

Am i the only one who sees a girl in pencil skirt and garters bending over, from behind on the wafer?

I'll never be able to unsee it now.

>Country literally called the Republic of China isn't China

This is only confusing in English speaking countries.
Taiwan is the real China.
Commie China is the fake usurper Han mogoloid regime.

>opinions vary
Found the Zhang

5nm doesn't matter :):):)

Not true. Taiwanese people fucking hate mainlanders

false

Reminder that its the christcucks who want diversity and global control

Fucking chinko commie gonna barrage this post.

>China land controlled by chinese is not the real china but this tiny English colony is the real China
lmao.

Praise TSMC and their uncontested foundry supremacy.

what happens when they reach 0nm ?

Theres a lot of stuff yet to be done to improve BEOL scaling even if front end features stay relatively the same size. Die area could keep improving for a little while.
When we're at the absolute wall for conventional scaling then thats where shit like quantum junctions come in to play. Manipulating sub atomic particles with fields under specific conditions instead of changing electrical resistance in a channel material to regulate current flow.

Besides when the bleeding edge reaches that point virtually no one but AMD/Nvidia/intel will be able to afford it. Everyone else will be using other processes and technologies to reduce design costs even if it sacrifices die area.

Taiwan is the real China and mainland China is not

Ryzen 2+ 5nm confirmed!

Yes it is. Stop buying into the capitalist dogma, ALL of China is China.

Zen3 based chips are going to be 7nm EUV.
They expect a 10% reduction in power, performance might be the same, but die area should have a 17%~ reduction.

On the process front Zen2 to Zen3 isn't going to benefit that much. AMD will need to have some major arch changes for it to be a really compelling part. Though I do believe that is slated to support PCI-E 4 and DDR5, so that at least should be something.
You're probably not going to see anything but cellphone SoCs on 5nm until 2021.

Nobody, NOBODY fucking cares because 200GE is truly a BEAST. It have and WILL have absolutely NO competitors.