What happens to techies when they get old?

Attached: 1539446960197.png (502x841, 327K)

They become managers, consultants or unemployed.

>manager
>techie
Managers in most companies don't have any actual technical skill and don't do any actual work.
Anyway as an engineer working in Silicon Valley I will have enough saved for retirement by age 26.

I'm 37 and I'm fucking sick of programming.

they talk to the customers because the engineers can't talk to people

No, tech support talks to the customers. Unless you work at one of those contracting shops where you basically do work for other companies. That must suck.

i envy the old man, programming is just so stressful, i rather have an easy, simple and repeatable job like a bus driver or burger flipper than worry about dubbing or implementing algorithms. too bad those jobs pay so shit

Attached: 1487892793513.jpg (492x449, 48K)

NO, THEY TALK TO THE ENGINEERS SO THE CUSTOMERS DON'T HAVE TO
THEY HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS

Attached: 169ckh.jpg (400x300, 27K)

The pay is shit because those jobs have low barriers to entry.

Where I come from, bus drivers make $30/hr.

i make $150+ an hour writing java

yeah i know that, im just saying id rather have a mindless job that payed well than what i have right now

i make £40/hr at the mo it's not bad m8

LADS SOMEBODY POST BISQUIT DRIVING A BUS

They either ascend to a higher plane of existence that mere mortals can't reach or they end up like the guy in OP's pic.

Attached: Comfy_Mario.png (500x445, 42K)

>Anyway as an engineer working in Silicon Valley I will have enough saved for retirement by age 26.
Kek, you will have saved less than a garbage man in alabama thanks to your cost of living.

I've been working for 2 years and already have $400,000 USD saved. Nice try.

>Didn't save for retirement
He has no one else to blame but himself

>I've been working for 2 years and already have $400,000 USD saved.
things that didn't happen

Stay salty garbage man.

Attached: 1527046432.png (1851x1356, 160K)

>y would somebody lie on Jow Forums

Attached: thinking.jpg (400x400, 28K)

The dude is 59 he should be pretty close to retirement unless he was retarded and didn't invest or save at all
Also I don't see why he couldn't be hired somewhere else with all that experience unless he isn't worth the money

what is your TC?

I could see it. A less than a year out of college my company got bought and I cashed in my options for a cool ~120k or so (and now at the new company I got a sweet retention bonus and an over 200k salary after RSUs and bonuses).

It's probably nice to pretend like people in the silicon valley aren't making any more money than the rest of the US because of the COL, but the reality is that that is not true.

We turn into pure light and then play golf.

Are you one of those living in a trailer in MV

so you have basically 100% and live at home? that's pretty impressive

No I pay $2000 a month for an apartment in Menlo Park.

With how your salary is going, you're probably the CEO of a company that can afford to pay its CEO. In other words, my Dad works at Nintendo.

I don't see the math working out, you saved about $150k a year, tc of 230k after tax is around 143k...

>Bought into the bull market of 2017

Either you are going to be holding this for a while (10-20 years more) or you better cash out while you have the chance.

Also I assume you are probably 70-90% equities correct?

Bus driving EASY? You have to deal with idiot drivers and your own idiot passengers.

230k was what was listed in my w2, I forgot about my pre-tax 401k contributions + match.

Based.
Tried to find a CS-meme job, never received a call back. After all I said fuck this, I wanna to eat, and I got hired by a bus company as a driver. Sure, $40k/year is not too much, but at least now I have enough money to become an airbus driver.
EE-meme friend make $80k, still jelly.

you are making a lot more than you think user, at least 260k, fang?

Managers are literally just supposed to keep everyone under them in check and not solve individual or particular tech problems

I'm only making like 165 in Sunnyvale, what's your specialization

React

how's facebook stock?

>25
>did cmpe for bachelors
>it would pay well they said
>been working for 1 year now
>1382/week
>only saved up 18k in 401k, jack shit everywhere else
FUCK YOU GIVE ME MORE MONEY NOW NOOOOOOW

Attached: FkjxNfT.png (349x491, 203K)

The managers at mine were all software engineers when they got hired to be a manager and still did programming just with the added responsibilities of minions

1382 a week after taxes is really good for 1 year though. CA is inflated as hell compared to the entire rest of the world. Even NYC people dont make as much and COL is the same or higher in parts.

its before tax, after taxes and maxing 401k contributions i take home 693 a week, and I live in commiefornia

You're just bad at saving

You Jow Forums fags don't know shit about markets, that posted ~12% return is unusual at best, most equities markets return 6-8% over time if you are lucky.

Also this is not factoring in taxes and inflation.

long term of S&P 500 is 7% after inflation or 10% before

The executives of your company golden parachute out 2 days before you're eligible for your pension

that was before the stock crash too

IM GOOD WITH THE CUSTOMERS CANT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT

That's terrible that you have to deal with that.

What's the best book/course/site for learning this meme? I've been learning React/Redux for work but now I'm trying to make it work with a .Net Core backend since we're mostly Microsoft.

Attached: 1519358030758.jpg (567x800, 44K)

Attached: 1540690789579.png (557x1074, 376K)

needs to be posted in universities all over

How does changing your back-end have anything to do with your UI library?

haha where is the oct 2018 value?

Why didn't he save any money?
Why is he unable to get a software engineer job? Is he senile, or a bad employee?
Why didn't he spend the last 40 years of his life building a transferable skill set?

Software engineer from ages ago probably, no education etc

assuming he didn't change anything, and he kept putting all into FB he should be around $300k right now

>Why didn't he save any money?
divorce?

Pro tip: Landing the job has nothing to do with your major or your GPA or the prestige of your university and everything to do with your technical and communication skills.

t. entry-level CS major making $78,000/year

Lmao, this senile faggot probably majored in Uzbekistani Horticulture or something, CS has nothing to do with it. Everyone knows management is a fucking meme that people too dumb to graduate go into. His company probably got wise to the fact that he did nothing all day and gave him the boot. Now he can't find a job because he doesn't have any actual technical skills, boo hoo. Shouldn't have gone into management, stupid boomer.

How do I be like you?

>t. entry-level CS major making $78,000/year

What's your job title?

"JavaScript Rockstar"

the key is to start strong, save money, then quit and go into real estate
or, if you get lucky and/or are smart, land a nice juicy patent that you can retire on

Dev Op Special CyberForce Ninja

Artisan software cultivator

>retire at 26
how much do you need to retire?