Are white hats not a thing anymore, or did they simply never really exist...

Are white hats not a thing anymore, or did they simply never really exist? With all the evil shit going on right now (evil ISPs ruining everything, destruction of Net Neutrality, scammers, spammers and malware fucking everywhere, torrenting dying/dead outside of countries with 12 people in them, google, apple and other mega-corps taking over everything and driving it all into the ground, etc.) how is nobody fighting back? Or is there simply no human that isn't shit and they're all black hats?

Attached: blackhatvswhitehat.png (1030x913, 491K)

white hats are all working for private sector infosec securing big companies' shit in this day and age. what you're thinking of is a hacktivist/gray hat.

>white hats are all working for private sector
So in other words, they're black hats actively working to destroy the internet and all software. That's what I thought.

Lol if only you knew how bad things were. Not every company is the fucking NSA or Google. 99% of them are full of complete fucking incompetents that couldn't tie their own shoes much less change a default router password. It's a full time career just putting out fires for outfits like that while desperately hoping all of their customer data doesn't get leaked because the retards didn't even encrypt at rest.

would you prefer them selling UEFI rootkits, 0day exploits and new browser techniques to the highest bidder instead?

>thinking everyone in the government is bad.

theres multiple forces at work trying to push their agenda. there are actual good people out their user

*browser tracking techniques
things could be a lot worse.

Maybe you should write an article for 2600 and light a fire under the asses of would-be hacktivists. Maybe listen to some infosec podcasts, as there are vigilante hackers out there who do what they can. One example is vigilante hackers who try to destroy botnets made out of IoT devices. They destroy the code or brick the device. I leave the rest of the research up to you.

Oh, I do know how bad things are. I just can't understand how there are literally no (0) white hats. How the fuck is that even possible? Isn't there one genius out there who's unhinged and furious for justice or something? Not one? It's almost unbelievable. There is so very much wrong at this point and NOBODY is acting?? HOW??

I would prefer they be hanged in public.

Well I might not think that if I didn't know it were absolutely true. Of course, I'm not a dipshit libertarian because I know government is cancer right now because it's owned by capitalists who pay it to break on purpose.

They're going to get MUCH worse, and still nobody is doing anything. I fucking would myself, but I don't have time enough to become an expert in all subjects. I have my own battles to fight. You'd think in a tech-saturated world, SOMEONE would be fighting this battle. But nope. Human nature appears to be infinitely evil and corruptible.

>Intelligence agencies want all the fucking data
>FBI wants the freedom to look at your data whenever they want
>Police have the right to force you to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone
what fucking fantasyland bullshit are you on about?

>white hates
The gov't proved themselves no better than the people they opposed. Who the hell are the hats supposed to site with?

Attached: 1538709096150.jpg (613x531, 36K)

What you're talking about is a GREY HAT. White hats are hired by companies. Grey hats are the warriors that get on the news. Know your stuff before you stop to complain!

>The entire world is the US

>I would prefer they be hanged in public.
So you want objectively competent people hanged, because they rather make cash and support their families than your subjective world vision? You need to grow up, mate

Attached: 1523469169014.gif (480x270, 1000K)

>literally no white hats.

The law is pretty stingy with computer hacking so why would you have hear about a ‘white hat hacker.’ A lot of companies wouldn’t understand what your doing and just get scared and try to put you in prison for years

We're all blackhats now.

Attached: 1532075864974.jpg (950x534, 116K)

what makes you think white hates would fight back against that? black hats are the ones who want anonymous communication networks and system independence.

Let's break this down. OP and the rest of the thread seem to have very different definitions of 'white hat'. To OP, a white hat hacker is a vigilante or 'hacktivist'. Someone who is willing to hack governments and megacorporations for the purposes of fighting authoritarianism and unethical behavior.
To the rest of the thread (and the rest of the world desu), a white hat hacker is someone who works ENTIRELY within the law. A white hat hacker works for a penetration testing firm, and gets hired to professionally hack a company... by that company, with the goal being to inform them of where their weaknesses are, and with all of this being done under the terms of a contract. Completely legal. Completely corporate.

So we have the colloquial definition of the two sides, which is that they are split along legal lines. White hats follow the law. Black hats don't. And then we have OP's, which splits the two along moral lines. Righteous cause = whitehat. Solely driven by lust for destruction and profit = blackhat.

Hope that clears this up. ^_^

>objectively competent people
Seriously debatable.
>doing great works of evil
Yes. Destroy them with fire.
>because they rather make cash and support their families
You have to get their families too.

Zero tolerance for this horseshit. This madness must stop.

>You need to grow up, mate
You need to fuck off my planet.

We would see some evidence of it. There is none. Even older open source software that was perfectly legal but mildly inconvenienced major corporations has been erased.

>A lot of companies wouldn’t understand what your doing and just get scared and try to put you in prison for years
>Hackers are afraid of prison tho
What the fuck sort of pussified, evil timeline is this?

Because it's pretty fucking obviously evil.

Good is good. Evil is evil. The law has very much BECOME the source of greatest evil.

>Those wide mouths
Creepy.

WOA BRUH U ANGRY?
Fucking children on this board that have no idea what the hell they're even talking about.

Attached: 1520880594591.png (386x312, 1K)

all hackers are faggots, there's no distinction

They are so sexy! Wait......what were we talking about again?

Be wary, or you may cut yourself.

internet is not your property also torrenting always sucked

if anything things are improving with better download speeds and all the exploits and hacks on facebook and intel the general NPC subhumans are finally moving away from social media and jewelry

MS buying github and linus getting BTFO are just the cherries on top. Now open sores fugtards can finally STFU

>The law has very much BECOME the source of greatest evil.
That's why no amount of Jow Forumsentooman autism (as beautiful as it is) is going to save the day alone. We can't out-technology our way to privacy cause they'll just create hardware monopoly dependencies like they have now
>inb4 talosii

realistically what we need to focus on, is making huge successes and just buying politicians/swaying politics and law the old fashioned way. we must accept law is a cudgel and we must make it ours to be wielded

>internet is not your property
As a public commodity built with taxpayer money, YES, it fucking absolutely is you kike. Now fuck you and die.

We needed a functional wifi mesh, but Jow Forums seems to have lost interest. And nobody else seems to be working on one either except in some very local settings in other countries.

That's called subsidy. Are you claiming that most agricultural products, beef meat being the most notorious example, are public property too, now?

So do you want someone creating software or hacking? Why the fuck would a ‘white hat hacker’ give free tools to the public that could easily be used maliciously?

>tfw my company's domain controller (among other crucial servers) are on the hotel's public wifi
I've tried to tell the owner but because I don't work for the IT """"""consulting firm""""""" he hired, he doesn't listen to me. Fine, dickhead.