I had a power surge last night and all of a sudden my desktop will not boot...

I had a power surge last night and all of a sudden my desktop will not boot. I thought it was the PSU so I bought a new one, but I still have exactly the same problem.

Literally nothing happens when I press the power button although I can see an indicator LED on in one of the card reader panels at the front.

A cheap PSU tester showed all its LEDs on with the old PSU except for the -5V one. This was with everything unplugged from the old PSU.

I hope the problem is not with the motherboard. Pic related is it.

Attached: B9E9AAD6-3681-44BF-A962-4163F9579075.jpg (2016x1512, 1.17M)

Your board is dead. Had the same thing after my air compressor started (it's a giant one and it draws a lot of power) and the pc was plugged in directly in the wall. I did think it was the PSU, but then I plugged another PSU in, same problem, and then I plugged my PSU in another PC and it worked.
Fortunately, I was able to RMA it and got a brand new one.

>he didn't plug his PC into a surge protector
Hope you learned your lesson

The mobo is dead, everything else should be fine. Replace the mobo and invest in a UPS so that doesn't happen again.

I don’t have another PC to test.

It was plugged in. It did not help. I bought the strongest one I could find on soimazon to replace it.

From the symptoms I’ve described and/or the picture, how can you tell the motherboard is dead?

From my own experience.

Also, why is your ram in the 3rd and 4th slot? Is that really the way you board does Dual-channel?

try resetting the CMOS

Fun fact: power strip surge protectors are almost worthless for any significant power surge. Nothing but a high rated USP will keep your computer from frying. You need to have a capable buffer between the wall and your PC.

Only alternative to that is really good home owners/renters insurance and an itemized list of all your electronics with photos and receipts.

He just has his ram in slots 1 and 3, board's not built that way.

>ultra durable
>kill board
also, just in case, try with just one memory stick, and then the other, and if it werks, then put the in the correct order, slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3, not 3 and 4 like they are now.

No clue. Probably just accidentally put it there. It functioned like that with the full 32 GB for 2 years.

I already tried replacing the battery if that helps.

Yeah, I just saw that. It's usually in slot 2 and 4 and not next to eachothers usually, but I didn't look at the markings.

Doesn’t work with any in slot 1.

The motherboard was a gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H

Is there a new version out I might as well update to or should I just buy the same thing again?

significant power surge will literally arc across the air user

This. There's nothing like riding through a thunderstorm while your UPS clicks into action and increments the power event count on its LCD.

You can pick up used Smart-UPS that barely got any office use for €20.
There is NO reason NOT to use one these days. How dumb are people?

I seriously can't fit it into my head.

Isnt a UPS not ment to be only protection?

Have you tried tonguing the P1?

UPS is the full package, surge protection, voltage regulation and battery backup for those 2 second outages once in every two or three years. See

>those 2 second outages once in every two or three years
lol, I get these about every three months. I get more actual full outages because of snowstorms though.
I need to get a big UPS.

wat?

>snowstorms
A diesel generator is what you need.

shit advises.
just RMA it

Can't do. Bought it 2 years ago.

stop living in a shitty apartment.

I bet you live in new York or some euro fancy place and think you have high quality power but buildings in thous places still have wires from the 1920s.

stop living in a shit hole literally move surge protectors and UPS wont protect you just leave.

credit card gives 1 extra year of warranty

Do power cuts and surges still happen in first world countries?

Didn't have a credit card at the time. Also it was bought through one of those custom PC building places since I was required to buy it that way.

reseat RAM and remove cmos battery. Hold the power button with the computer unplugged for 10 seconds. Put RAM and CMOS back in. There is a small chance you can revive your computer doing this IF you are very lucky.

Already tried. It didn't work.

Damn man. Yeah. motherboard fried... shame.

Wait. Not done. remove network card you have plugged in and do the same thing as:
See if it turns on. Sometimes a power surge happens to a NIC with the ethernet cable.

Computer was connected to internet over wifi because there's no way to connect ethernet to my room from where the router is since I'm not allowed to modify the walls in the apartment, an my room did not come with ethernet. In fact nobody's room does.

try removing all unnecessary cards including the video card + nic. just try it and sometimes it may work

do you see gpu on OP's pic?

What PSU did you have?

just get a better board shit

Based on markings on the PSU:
EVGA Supernova NEX 750B (80+ Bronze)

I replaced it with another 750W EVGA Supernova PSU, but G3.

Yes. I live in a smaller metropolitan area (or whatever the fuck the markting term is for a second tier city). Some parts of town are full of potholes and the power goes out every now and then (as in totally out). One time such an outtage hit one of the area's major hospitals.

It's probably the mobo, cpus are pretty tanky

BTW this isn't just the working class blue collar part of town. The hospital was in the rich part next to the university.

Some of the old richfags live in the same area too.

For how long?

If you live in a country where it snows, yeah. Snowstorms/blizzards can put out power lines and stuff.

The power outages did not last too long. Most are resolved in 15 minutes or less. They definitely happen more than they used to.