Thoughts on AutoCAD?

Attached: connected-collaboration-large-1920x1080.png (1920x1080, 614K)

deprecated

decent enough but I'm glad I'll never have to touch it or any other CAD program again

I'm glad I don't need to use it.

>deprecated
It's still the industry standard.

Not everyone are willing to shell out workstation-tier PCs for BIM programs like Revit.

Why do you guys think the software sucks?

fine for 2d

It's proprietary and costs more than my car.

Only the macshit version sucks and is missing half the features because Russia is based and redpilled and doesn't give a shit about "MUH APEL ECOSYSTEM".

I hate it with every fiber of my being.
Decades old bugs. Three year file format refresh to force upgrades. Now subscription based like every rent charging monopoly. On that note, stupidly expensive for software that has barely changed in 15 years. There’s more, but I’m on my phone.

>based
>writes proprietary software

Autodesk is the biggest trash bloatware ever. 8-10 years ago it was good tho.

just use fusion 360 for free if you're just a hobbyist, or on a paid license if you work with it for reals.
Or tinkercad if you're just trying to make basic objects.

I pirate it like a human

I use it and Revit at work everyday. Revit is rapidly replacing it as the industry standard and I fucking hate that fact. Revit is such a godawful program.

Buy last version that doesn't require subscription. Think it's 2014 one. Or use GstarCAD it's literally the same thing

I use GIMP

Is it worser than CAD? What about revit is bad?

Bad, but not like you got a replacement

lol

Switch to Draftsight. Buy it outright for a reasonable cost. No sub.

I've convinced multiple tradesmen and factories to switch to it. I should get a job as a saleman for the euro cunts. Easiest job in the world. Just logical.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1000x1000, 66K)

?
I use it at work every day so please enlighten me with your superior opinion.

Use freecad

Attached: 2000px-FreeCAD-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 238K)

So do I, and we've tried all alternatives, but not a single one matches the consistency of Autocad. It's the small things.
It's like saying Libre office is the same and MSoffice.

I wish they'd at least put some effort in the logo.

Use it daily for work, it's decent I've got a borked student account so I've had it for about 5 years instead of 3 like you're supposed to. I also use inventory and revit.
AMA

If you know your stuff you don't need autocad

Not sure what you are drawing in it.
I do only 2d, hvac pipes etc and does everything the same way as autocad.
I even saw bugs (very weird artifacts in some dwg files) in autocad but worked fine in gstarcad

>hvac
>piping

>2d

Disgusting. I bet you don't even use pipe specs. Lrn2verticalapplications.

Knowing "free" software, the logo is the best made part of this.

>It's like saying Libre office is the same and MSoffice.
In my oponion both Ms and autodesk actually use the same tricks to make life harder for competitors.

>It's still the industry standard.
Not really
>workstation-tier PCs for BIM programs like Revit
You don't need "workstation tier PC"

I get it for free, but if I didn't, I'd go back to suffering under FreeCAD.

What is that suffering about?

>2d
There literally isn't single reason why you should be using something other that different 2d views.
Unless you are monkey that can't imagine things.

Boomerware that is really easy to use

is Revit more 'dropping in parts' like Lego, or some shit? Tried (no, I really, really tried) Autocad a few times, its just too fuckedup to get beyond the 'this is fucked up canndo nuffin' stage.

>a program to draw lines
wew, much complex.

>tfw google sketchup makes you want to kill yourself
>0$
>no linux version
>closed source
>no one cared
>no one cares about source code
>gnu/libre/open source has always been about money
>if the product is free, the entire world doesn't care
>millions of india buildings made with google sketchup
>0 freecad buildings
>the indians are now working on a 0$ closed source windows only bim modeling program called b processor
>all of the enthusiasm for open source software comes from expensive closed source problems
>if the closed source option is free, zero effort will be expended
>more effort has gone into open source 3d printer designs, than into cad software to make them

I've seen projects use OpenSCAD. I think that might be the programmer's CAD and therefore that's what has chances in open-source world.

Autocad was meant for 2D shit like floor plans, site development plans/master plans but is limited for elevations, sections and even perspective views. Back then boomers had no choice but to do it anyway since PCs can only accommodate AutoCAD.

Revit, ArchiCAD and every BIM software out there are basically videogames where you can design plans faster since you can plop down walls, floors, doors, curtain walls, windows and all kinds of shit. It's only real limitation is processing power, once you start designing massive complexes and high-rise skyscrapers your average boomer HP/Dell/IBM """workstation"""" shits itself. Also, encoding meme curvy, le abstract and non-symmetrical designs are a real challenge when in AutoCAD its pretty easy since you can freely manipulate lines.

>google sketchup
Google sold SketchUp years ago.

In Revit there is no 2d. That is the main difference.

I use Vectorworks at work. It's a decent CAD. I'm a city planner though and don't need to model detail. I use Vectorworks for nice looking site plans and QGis for rendering information.

Make a better one

MicroStation is better
t. NJDOT wagecuck

Mainly bugs around the inconsistent "undo" function. I'd have to save a bunch of times under different names, because at any moment, I could press "ctrl+z" and it would break my model.

There is but its severely limited.

2D is used to cheat on stuff that can't be reflected on 3D plans like lift systems and other smaller stuff.

>1/3

Attached: 2.png (2000x2000, 38K)

2/3

Attached: 3.png (2000x2000, 38K)

You took the same dogshit logo and just removed the gradients. It's still bad

3/3, just a minor colour change from the first one

So does removing that gradient help at all?

I actually fixed that F a bit, it looked like someone with much too big forehead. I wanted to see if minimal changes could make it any better.

Attached: 1.png (2000x2000, 38K)

>using a pipe wrench to turn a cog
Freetard software in a nutshell.

I really prefer Inventor to Fusion 360, but I've got a student license so price isn't a big deal for me.

Boomerware that idiots use to make 100MB+ excessively-layered overcomplicated bullshit drawings they share with you and expect you to use as a useful reference that freezes up my shitbook 'pro' for 2 minutes straight every time I zoom or pan the fucking project

Windows out

Unironically the only standard accepted by any professionist worth a shit for 2D.
For 3D there are better alternatives obviously.

Also the only problem is it's shitty installer and useless cloud and libraries crap, just remove anything not needed and the program will run nicely. Except the hatch command, that's a nightmare.

you hate the program because you have a shitty apple laptop, nice. Remember, don't ever hate apple

>be architect at a large firm
>be adept at Revit and 3DSMax
>boomer bosses still insist on using outdated 2D software like AutoCAD because "everyone else uses it"
>95% of office PCs are on Core2Quads and Sandy Bridge i5s
>the final 5% are Broadwell-E 8-core CPUs with expensive Quadros in them as rendering machines
>they take a bajillion hours to finish, renderers literally snooze at work once they hit the render button and can leave the office early if its more than 12 hours
>boomer bosses don't want to upgrade because "AutoCAD is good enough"
>renderers don't want Threadripper or Skylake-X because that would mean they will have to stick longer to work instead of showing up just a few times per week
>the alternative is going to an Apple basedcompany where you're basically voluntold to work for 14+ hours/day because your basedbook gets fucked hard by 3DSMax and Revit

My company provided the laptop, I didn't waste my money on it. The Mac port is way more shitty than the windows version but they both still suck balls if you've used both