RIP RED HAT 1993-2018

IBM IS GOING TO BLEED THEM FUCKING DRY

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-28/ibm-agrees-to-buy-software-maker-red-hat-in-34-billion-deal

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1200x794, 30K)

S

F

RIP

pootering confirmed on suicide watch

so is Wayland is finally dead now?

Attached: pess.gif (300x168, 285K)

Ok, now what do I do with all these Redhat certificatinos?

IBM will save us from systemd

S

IBM is far more likely to add Java and XML to systemd.

look at this idiot with his good boy points

Attached: lookindown.jpg (536x536, 52K)

Lets hope they remake or remove systemd interily

>red hat
Only rednecks use this shit. Fedora is better and free.

You won't see any Fedora on production servers

lets hope for systemd-kernel

34 big ones? Holy Fuck. Short Big Blue, immediately.

Attached: 1534879333950.jpg (500x397, 48K)

They landed me on a good paying job, and they cost me nothing so I can't complain.

>What is Centos

Chad X11 wins.

X11 is more like an old guy with cancer

OH NONONONONONONO OPENSHIFT AND RHEL IS VERY HEAVILY USED AT MY JOB

Attached: spermwhale_SOY.jpg (751x501, 107K)

imagine an old man with cancer that is able to fuck 10 girls in a row while Wayland needs every app to implement screenshot logic and run Gnome as root

literaly who?

I hope you like your new blueshift :^)
Just kidding I too work on OpenShift and this is gonna fucking suck

You mean IBM Certifications?

Can we just ... not?

They're not retarded

yeah I used to work on CoreOS and now I have to move all my shit to flatcar linux

No company worth their salt uses redhat anymore anyway, so what exactly are we missing here?

What do they use instead?

>yfw z/OS is pushed even harder now.
>yfw z/Linux + OpenShift
>yfw rh just recreates urban code deploy

Looks like Amazon Linux 2 is the superior operating system now.

Attached: brother-hh.jpg (3000x2008, 1.09M)

systemz mainframes are only sold to boomer run companies with too much money

which is the majority of organizations outside of technology. Healthcare & Banking rely heavily on meme-frames.

Attached: boomer.jpg (550x550, 31K)

amazon linux

not fedora?

What about companies that didn't fall for the ''cloud'' meme

IBM is going to add Watson to systemd via Java extensions.

buh.. but

>muh fedora
;.;

they will fall for it soon

he's Spanish

IBM isn't going to bleed them dry. It's a good move on their part too.

More and more vendors are dropping mainframe support and AIX support. Obtaining the big enterprise linux distro which will fund them via support revenue is a smart move.

>implying azure won't dominate amazon

Linux and user space in Java
Fedora, Gnome, Wayland, Pipewire, SystemD BTFO

IBM purchased a userland distribution. Not the kernel.

Plus IBM isn't going to start making random userland applications/WM/DM. Their application lineup doesn't require owning a distribution. IBM is doing this purely to get a taste of the RHEL support contracts.

IBM MALWARE

IBM won't fund crap that doesn't have return value.
They'll cut funding right away, I coudn't be happier to see GTK go away.

The big open source projects aren't going to die off man. We just won't see viral advertisers pushing for them anymore.

Good fucking riddance. Red hat is full of government spooks who blatantly push insecure changes to Linux, I hope IBM drives them into the ground.

Imagine if systemd, gtk, gnome, pulseaudio and flatpak were finally gone.

i was about to post that

imagine such a terrible thing

imagine

IBM bought redhat to figure out how systemd works since none of their engineers could figure it out otherwise

Don’t half of your nerds use IBM thinkpads?

Hypocrites

god damn you people usually worry about stupid shit like systemd.

this news actually has me legit worried. there are so many fucking open source contributors from red hat, and having them suddenly be under IBM's umbrella makes me worried as fuck.

at least it wasn't oracle.

To be fair that entire division of IBM is probably long gone. I'm okay with them acquiring RHEL. IBM support for AIX is pretty good while RHEL is pretty trash in most of my experience. Hopefully they can improve it.

yes, i use one because it's common and hence has a lot of drivers available regardless of OS. i've had bad experiences with no-name laptops from acer and toshiba having no drivers. i do not use it because i love IBM's shitware.

literally nothing of value was lost

>using gnome
found your problem
KDE w/ wayland just werks
X11 was deprecated before half the people on this board were born

wayland has input latency practically built into the specification

what is it with unix display systems that makes them always been unfit for human consumption?

>terrible

>at least it wasn't oracle
Oracle already has their pseudo Redhat distribution with a slightly modified kernel. I feel like Oracle would be less likely to make drastic changes than IBM.

They sold that brand to lenovo like 13 years ago

Why would oracle even buy them when the point of oracle linux is cheaper than red hat while copying them for free?

IBM is going to recreate OS/2 as a functional desktop operating system with a Red Hat base.

The year of the Linux desktop is now.

RHELfags on suicide watch.

>why would a software company that can't tell their hand from their elbow buy a security based company?

>IBM is going to recreate OS/2
unironically, wouldn't be the worst idea ackually. Everything commercial (both of em) are chronic aids-and-pajeet infested shit, and Linux doesn't have the traction. But with the Power of Big Blue behind it, and a World Famous Recognized Brand Name like OS/2 Warp, its tiem has (surely) arrived.

>IBM
>not retarded
Have you actually used any of their software products? I've used, or rather tried to use, WebSphere as part of an earlier professional engagement, and it was the most horrific thing I've ever touched. Admittedly I haven't dealt with SAP, but it's hard to imagine how it could be much worse. I haven't personally dealt with their mainframe stuff, but OS/360, JCL or RPG are more generally known as terms of derision than for their real meanings, FORTRAN and COBOL are IBM products. I can't really think of any IBM software that is exactly known for its elegance and niceness.

>meme-frames
I'll have you know that the instruction set, at least, is far more elegant than x86. Doesn't say very much, sure, but still.

COBOL was created by a womeme

>I coudn't be happier to see GTK go away.
There are many things to dislike about GNOME, but I don't see GTK being one of them. Why?

So? If that is its fault, then it's still in turn IBM's fault for allowing it.

GTK 2 was pretty nice, but GTK 3 is a raging shitstorm and constantly moving target.

Depends. Some WordPress host uses fedora with systems containers in production.

I recently ported a Python program of mine from GTK2 to GTK3, and doing so mostly consisted in changing the imports and a few names here and there.

Someone else already did the hard work for you.

this thread is full of mouth breathing retards

Using GTK in Python is the same as calling the actual C functions, so it sounds like someone else would have done the hard work for using GTK3 in any context. So, then, what would the problem be?

Here's some context: EQT bought SUSE for 2.5 billion. IBM's own market-cap is 113 billion. Hard to say what RH's fair value would be but 34 billion seems like like a pretty steep price for RH.

>Imagine if systemd, gtk, gnome, pulseaudio and flatpak were finally gone.
You were probably joking but I wouldn't actually rule that out. IBM said in their statements that they are looking to expand RH's service contracts to IBMs existing customer base. As in.. they are going for server contracts. There's RH developers working on a lot of things that are not exactly server related.

I read somewhere that amazon linux is based on CentOS... if that's true, then it's fucked anyways

Name them, because they should be shamed.

You gotta be kiddin'. Just look at all the recent acquisitions and how their greedy management style ruined them to irrelevancy... RHEL will soon be a bloated piece of pajeet code like the Lotus suite and die a painful slow death.

do you know how many Linux devs/maintainers are paid by Redhat? also, what about the freedesktop devs?
Linux is completely fucked

idgi. what's wrong with ibm, other than they have been dying since the 80s?

Just to expand on why I believe IBM could ask RH to down-prioritize desktop and non-server related development: IBM has been struggling for quite some time. They also don't actually have the money to pay $35 billion for RH, they've got around $20 billion in cash and $46 billion in debt. They will have to increase that debt to be able to buy RH.

Attached: IBM-revenue-Q3.jpg (831x554, 42K)

>IBM thinkpads
why do trolls keep trying to deflect the topic to this?

>freedesktop
nothing of value was lost

>nothing of value was lost
you retard have no idea of what you just said. without those projects, linux on the desktop is literally dead, and even the kernel and related projects gets a shitload of contributions from Redhat.
I'm not a Redhat fan, but, IMO, this could literally destroy Linux as anything other than a server OS.

Same happened to Dell+VMware. Debt is out of control there, now they are thinking of some IPO stunt to push their financial collapse a tad further.
RH was a solid business with solid products, but give it 10 years and it will be nothing but a bloated, expensive and buggy distro.

>linux on the desktop is literally dead,
as ever

>even the kernel and related projects gets a shitload of contributions from Redhat.
nothing of value was lost

i hope nothing but homelessness and starvation for sievers, poettering, and drepper

>i hope nothing but homelessness and starvation for sievers, poettering, and drepper
yeah, because those are the only ones working for RH
go back to your religious BSD war threads, or just kys, dumbass

red hat has never produced any quality software. if red hat ceases to exist it will only be a net benefit.

imagine a world without red hat "contributions" to open source.

First glow in the dark came for linux with the cock and now IBM takes a important aspect of the graphical part and userland

Thank you subverted states of america

They cheered it on.

>Centos
Something that might be on the endangered species list now. Like how Oracle killed OpenSolaris.

I know it's fun being an edgy teen but I'm willing to bet my left nut you're benefiting from one of Red Hat's project right this second. They're ubiquitous when it comes to Linux.

Can Linus submarine any crazy shit IBM tries to do by changing the license of the kernel?

IBM is one of the most prolific contributor to the kernel, retard, they maintain the POWERPC port.

>we code red hat Linux on our MacBooks, goys

good friend, i am 27 and i'm sadly using windows 7 at this moment

you courted corporate takeover. you celebrated with every red hat addition to the linux desktop which made it both more windows-like and more vendor-locked-in. now lay in your bed.

if red hat evaporated tomorrow, nothing of value would be lost. better the majority of linux contributions were from bsd or plan 9 fanatics, really.

Imagine being this butthurt.