/spg/ - Smartphone General

ROG Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: ASUS-ROG-Phone-3-of-39.jpg (2160x1440, 567K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sChipset=27&idCardslot=1
gsmarena.com/results.php3?chk35mm=selected&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2810,2900&sChipset=27,1&idCardslot=1
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_ai_dual_camera-9120.php#taiwan
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_(redmi_5_plus)-8959.php#redmi-note-5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>bought a 2013 moto X for $50 on ebay
what am i in for? is it a good phone or shit? can it keep up in 2018 (granted it's not falling apart)??

my current daily is a 2015 Z5 compact, so it's not a huge leap. in the two months ive had the sony
>headphone jack works half the time
>phone-call face proximity sensor never turns off so i cant hang up calls
>screen is literally fucking peeling off, i have it taped right now
im done. it's crazy how few ≈4.5" screened androids are out there.

Attached: moto-x-2013.jpg (720x449, 232K)

last thread ended, posting again for visibility: Had a galaxy S6 for several years now, only a few complaints about it. Those being: battery life seems to be degrading with time (expected), the storage space is shit (32GB doesn't go far with the bloatware apps pre-installed) and now the charging port is getting finicky to work right.

I'm in the US, on verizon, looking for a replacement that is: below $1000, not apple shit, not google's phone, MUST HAVE expandable memory (microSD), moderate/average battery life, android OS (obviously), none of that "screen curved onto the side" gimmick. If it's possible I'd want said phone to be water resistant but I am perfectly fine with letting that go if it would mean I don't get the features listed above.

Incremental update hype!
New fetures include:
>no headphone jack
>no fingerprint censor on the back
>tear drop notch
woahh

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 7.35.55 PM.png (2822x1422, 2.37M)

>still no xperia play 2
That phone had the perfect design for gaming

the ROG looks like a meme phone, but the specs are super fucking good and the screen seems great as well.

I just fucked up my headphone jack and my usb port already lose.
Now imagine if I used the same port for both.

>\verizon
>not google's phone
>MUST HAVE expandable memory (microSD), >none of that "screen curved onto the side" gimmick

doesn't exist since you excluded Note 9 or S9 due to curved screen

Samsung S8/S9/Note8/Note9
LG G7/V30/V35/V40
HTC U12+
Sony XZ2 Compact
Razer Phone 2

At the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, it pays to buy a OnePlus One even though it has already been 4 years since its launch?
>also
Recommend good phones for less than 200 dollars

Attached: 1539785717468.jpg (480x635, 65K)

>but the specs are super fucking good and the screen seems great as well
same specs as every other phone this year but 200$ more and less non-meme features wtf are you talking about?

What carrier you on?

LG V40 or G7

>dual core 1.7 GHz
doubt it, but for $50 it's not too bad

Jumped on the pocophone hype train

Little glitchy here and there. Currently, theres a problem with my Shure earphones not working correctly. Notifications don't show on the lock screen either.

Fingerprint scanner is blazingly fast though. Camera app the comes with it sucks in low light, but the ported Google camera app fixed that.

No complaints.

Attached: 71NFAGn-FuL._SY550_.jpg (308x550, 25K)

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sChipset=27&idCardslot=1

Therefore, no management none of my country

before buying my current phone I had considered buying LG. I ended up with samsung because I read LG had a bunch of issues with their phones. Have they improved since then? Also how are sony phones? I never considered them a phone company until recently I realized they do make smartphones.
thank you for the link, I'll take a look.

What I should add: Samsung has curved screens, so does the Sony XZ3. XZ2/XZ2 compact have very average cameras for the price and no OLED either.
I'd stay away from LG because their update policy probably is the worst in the industry. HTC U12+ has a very, very good camera but no OLED screen, which necessarily isn't a dealbreaker, their previous phones had issues with screen brightness so you should check if their newest model does too. Also has water resistance but sadly no headphone jack.
OnePlus 6T is being revealed today and definitely your best choice in terms of price/performance. Lacks headphone jack too though.

tl;dr
If a headphone jack is not important go for HTC U12+ or OnePlus 6T.

That phone has pretty much the same specs as mine but I just upgraded it will work fine if for just messaging and calling. my camera was shittier tho.

Convince me to spend $800 on an iPhone XR /spg/

Why do tech youtubers keep saying "fingerprint magnet". WHO THE FUCK expects something made out of GLASS not to pick up fucking fingerprints and how is that even relevant. No person ever said to themself "WHAT? The glass back picks up oils on my fingers? No buy." Everyone is aware and don't fucking cares.

any good screen protector recommendations for the note 9?

Have you been an iOS user in the past? Do you own an iPhone 7 or lower? Don't want to spend over 1000USD for a new iPhone? Get an XR.

If you are an Android user and need convincing - this phone probably isn't for you.

Essential Phone !

Attached: Screenshot_20181028-183117.jpg (1312x2560, 1.6M)

Well shit now that you mention it, yes a headphone jack is a deal-breaker. Slipped my mind when making my first post because I had assumed such a basic, arguably necessary feature, should be in every phone. Guess incompetence isn't limited to apple in the tech industry. How noticeable is the difference between OLD and a the standard LCD like the asus zenfone or sony xperia has for example?

>Have they improved since then?
considerably, bootloops are a bad memory and haven't affected their devices since the G5

how do u think Clover will run on it

>specs are super fucking good
lol no

Is there a VNC server for modern android versions?

clover could run on a potato
it'll do fine

Never used clover on mine. I think it will work just fine tho?

>Have you been an iOS user in the past?
No
>Do you own an iPhone 7 or lower?
No
>Don't want to spend over 1000USD for a new iPhone?
I really don't.

>If you are an Android user and need convincing
Guess it was never meant to be.

If you like iOS, the experience and little tricks you can do with it, and you don't think the overall size is too big then it's good no matter what price. You can't just complain about the price when a phone like that can easily last 3 years. The panel is the same pixel density quality as the 4.7" iPhones so I'm personally looking forward to comparing it side by side with an iPhone 8 Plus because the notoceable differences will become evident. It has excellent speakers, a camera for any occasion and the apps themselves are developed properly for your device and not a vast pool of unregulated chink and poojeet devices. If the XR indeed has the screen space of a 7/8 Plus when browsing content and watching media below the notch at the correct aspect ratio then it's indeed worth $750 since the 8 Plus was $850 with a worse battery in it a year ago.

A good LCD is totally fine and OLED is only superior in terms of black levels. Some LCDs, like I mentioned, can be a bit too dim especially under sunlight so you should check up on that.

Here's a new filter with your required features:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?chk35mm=selected&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2810,2900&sChipset=27,1&idCardslot=1

Nokia 8 reportedly has one of the best LCDs on the market and very decent battery life. It doesn't have the latest Snapdragon (which isn't an issue at all honestly) and a pretty outdated design in terms of screen aspect ration. No water resistance either.
A big plus though is that it is dirt cheap by now. Also built like a fucking tank. Biggest drawback is its average camera which does slightly improve by using a Pixel 2/3 camera port.

How does Jow Forums feel about grips? My last phone had a removable plastic back and I put a pop grip on it, and the constant popping ended up warping the back slightly. I have a new phone with a glass back and I'm afraid to put another pop grip on it for that reason, even though a lot of people seem to do fine with glass back phones and pop grips. And I don't particularly care for the ring type ones much.

this can't be an essential phone because there's no notch in the screenshot

Just get a 64gig XS. Honestly the bigger ones are too big and unusable.

Nevermind, Nokia 8 actually has IP54 so it's splash proof.
This phone seems tailored to you if you can live with a not-so-great camera and a 16:9 aspect ratio.
What I forgot to mention is that all of Nokia's devices run under Google's Android One program so they receive updates very quickly and come with an unbloated stock Android. Another small annoyance I forgot to tell you is that this phone has no notification LED but that's a very minor thing.

Display qualities aside I think OLED screens are worth it just for the always on display capabilities. I got addicted to the second screen on my LG V10, so with the always on screen, I still get the ability to see my battery and notifications, and the ability to turn on the flashlight, change the volume, or open the camera, without having to even unlock the phone. It's a really big deal for me and I can't go back to LCDs now. Some phones like the G7 I think try to copy always on screen functions but it's a big miss because the whole screen is still lit up black and it's bright as hell in a dark room.

Hm, now that I'm looking at these more I am reconsidering my stance on the "curved screen" deal. If I opened up that as a possibility, then the S9+ would be on the table and that is looking quite comparable to the Note9 which is in your 2nd search list.

My biggest concern with the whole curved screen thing is that based on my 0 prior experience with such feature; It looks harder to protect from scratches, it looks prone to "fat finger-ing" the side-bar on accident when either handling the phone or stashing it, it's another added complexity to the device that could break at any time, taking the screen with it.

Now I may be blowing this out of proportion and these concerns may be nothing, but I have never used a phone with a curved screen edge so I wouldn't know.

if you have a Microsoft store in your area they have them available to play around with like Apple does with iPhones. They only have Samsungs though

MORE
MONTHS

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

I'm using an S9 currently and I really don't have any problems with the curved edges. It allows Samsung to keep the phones a tiny bit narrower which helps one handed usage. Only drawback in my opinion is the slight color shift on the edges and reflections, also some kind of fish eye effect since the screen is bent.
But yeah you're right, accepting the curved meme opens up a lot more possibilites. Only thing to keep in mind is that Samsung phones are bloated to hell and back and the user interface is heavily modified but also very feature rich. Samsung's update policy is not the greatest too.
I'd seriously consider the Nokia 8 if I were you.

What's the word on Walmart's Family Mobile?

Best note 9 case brand and which model?

otteerbox

random $5 slim hybrid case off eBay
paying bookoo bucks for a brand is fucking stupid

Is eBay reliable for buying phones from? I'm looking into buying an S9+ from there but I feel like I'd get swindled.

tab s4 4G or note 9 base model (the difference is only $100 here)
primary usage reading manga, shitposting, newpipe, animu ect

is it even physically possible to receive a phone call on the tab s4 considering the lack of a front speaker?
how is VR these days? worth getting a gearvr even if I have glasses or not yet?

This god-like phone is beyond my budget.

I'm addicted to chinkphones

>primary usage reading manga, shitposting, newpipe, animu ect
why buy such expensive garbage if you're not going to make full use of the hardware at all

Attached: 1540783755948.jpg (1040x780, 125K)

You're obviously some kind of savage. Just go full wireless.

you know, restarting your phone actually does fix a lot of issues. Especially battery related ones. Wonder whats the tech reason for that

you had some app that bugged out doing some background stuff and was holding a wakelock forever, restarting fixes this

how my Iphone SE, it suddenly got really hot in the battery area during phone calls, so I restarted and it fixed it
all I did that could have messed with it is take the sim card out and then put it back in like 2 days later

Why not an X?

Sad

Not that user, but my local MS store also has the Razer phone and some HTC phone.

I want a phone with great battery life, great call quality, supports basic apps and web browsing, and has a headphone jack. I also would ideally spend 300 dollars or less. Problem is, I'm on ATT so my options for a good phone is basically v30 or galaxy s9+. the former has a suspect battery life, and the latter is way over budget. Does ATT offer any hidden gems that I'm unaware of?

iFag here. I've owned every iPhone from the 3GS to the SE. Now I'm considering switching to a Note 9 since Apple dropped the headphone jack and notches are fucking gross. Should I? I could just get a XS Max...they're pretty much the same price...

Anyone recently switch?

Attached: 1b1454447961ef8fb305299f78d74761.jpg (400x578, 182K)

You could just get an unlocked phone. A Moto G6 would probably be suitable for your needs - check out some review vids

gsmarena makes it sound like it has a shit battery despite having 3000 mah

Moto G5 Plus or Moto Z Play might be good if you don't mind something older

The world of Android is going in pretty much the same direction. As Louis puts it, they're copying Apple's bad shit without copying their good shit. A ton of new Android phones are coming out with notches and no headphone jacks. Only the budget phones are avoiding this madness, but they have other annoying limitations. I personally see no reason to switch at this point, now that the writing is on the wall.

I'm personally sticking with my SE as long as I possibly can, basically until the app store no longer works. I imagine that will be about a year or two after the last iOS release, which itself will probably be in three years if the 5s is anything to go by. At that point, I'll start worrying about what shit pill I'm going to swallow.

hm, that z play looks promising with that massive battery but I think I'm going to bide my time in hopes of something newer releasing. appreciate the good suggestions though

>why buy such expensive garbage if you're not going to make full use of the hardware at all
find me oled for cheaper in a similar size and I'll buy it

I just bought a Redmi Note 5 by gee's request. The phone is massive (6.3") I can't pull the notification drawer with one hand. Fucking phablet. Which one of you will voluntarily put yourself forward to be sued by me?

Also, how do I get the most out of this device?

Attached: IMG_20181029_023827.jpg (602x596, 50K)

alright so how accurate is the gsmarena battery life endurance tests? because battery life is the utmost importance to me and I feel like I'm letting gsm influence my opinion too much

Attached: 774383ae-cf07-4244-9585-1ba69ce33c47.png (758x320, 26K)

look at the detailed table
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
some devices use less power for certain tasks than others EG: video playback vs phone calls

>censor

Galaxy tab s2

Nokia 8 is not Android One

Source: have one

>Galaxy tab s2
there is no way that is still available
>it is and is still $550 AUD
well fuck me, is it worth it considering it will probably never see an update? I don't think tachiyomi or newpipe will be needing more than 5.0 anytime soon

Does anyone know how to get splitscreen to actually work on android? If I touch one app the other one always freezes making splitscreen completely useless for me.
Are there any other methods to have true multitasking like floating windows of any app
I heard that xiaomi can actually do split natively on their stock rom but I don't want to buy a new phone for 1 feature
also I already tried floating browsers and such on the play store and they were all really bad, I want some way to split/float chrome and the other apps I already have

Attached: Nougat-twoapps-720x637.jpg (720x637, 117K)

I'm looking for a phone with
>lineage os support
>SD card slot
>NFC
>cheap

Is the Moto G4 my best bet?

You're overestimating human intellect.

Need a phone asap and am willing to spend a little extra for a nice one. Been looking at the Mi mix2s and essential phone. Is it worth picking up one or should I wait for the mi mix 3

>At that point, I'll start worrying about what shit pill I'm going to swallow.
But you've already swallowed it by using an iPhone, and an iPhone SE of all phones in 2018.
>6.3"
Uh, you might have gotten some other device.
It's fairly old at this point and you didn't specify how cheap.
>or should I wait for the mi mix 3
But it's already available.

spigen rugged armor

Your phone is probably old and can't process both at the same time. Works fine on my sd845 phone.

I have an SD835... What android version are you running? And even checking google every thread has people with the same issue
>OP on som rando forum says wow check out this cool new feature
>replies saying 1 app gets frozen when the other is touched
After looking at android documentation its literally supposed to work that way. How the fuck do you get it not to?

THE NOTE 6 PRO IS 6.3"

I have one that I got for cheap a long time ago. Works fine, user. You won't be able to Android 8 or 9 on it but eh

Maybe it's an issue with just your phone/manufacturer. I'm using a OnePlus 6 with Android 9 pie. Regularly split YouTube and messaging and I can type while selecting videos

I'm looking for a new phone - currently on an iPhone 6 plus and want to make the switch to android. Must have a headphone jack and large screen, preferably no notch. Looking to spend about $1000 USD or less

Attached: 9d5.png (2688x2688, 173K)

Any examples of a company bringing back the headphone jack?

Fucking Sony almost made the perfect phone with the XZ2 compact, but they blew it by removing the jack.

Redmi note 5

WHICH VARIANT

It's not you iCuck. Samsung never fell for the notch and jackless meme.

fuck I'm not on 9 but I might try flashing it considering all the posts with my same issue are before pie came out

Samsung is shit in its own way though. Great hardware, awful software.

4gb/64gb global version

>Samsung is shit in its own way though. Great hardware, awful software.
Good thing not all of their devices are as locked down as iPhones.

Tfw handlet

FUCK MY LIFE I WANT LARGE HANDS SO I CAN FUCKING USE LARGE PHONES AND CRUSH EVERYONE WHO INSULTS MY WAIFU

>Has to flash a third party pajeet ROM in order for his new phone to work properly
>known bugs: you tell me ;)

DO YOU MEAN THIS
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_ai_dual_camera-9120.php#taiwan
4 VARIANTS

THIS
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_(redmi_5_plus)-8959.php#redmi-note-5
2 VARIANTS

THIS

FUCK XIAOMI

>fuck choices
Besides, the AI variant isn't global, neither is the 6 GB variant of the Redmi Note 5 (636). Has the spoonfeeding been to your satisfaction.