Is groff/troff really better than latex?

is groff/troff really better than latex?
And what's up with old unix stuff having really shitty names?

Attached: hecute.jpg (1360x766, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1839
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You just saw Like Smith video right?

y-yes

groff + mom is really good.
You might experience some utf8 fuckery with non-english characters though (had some problems with umlauts where it wouldn't display them unless I changed the encoding around on one computer, on another one it worked with utf8 without any problem) other than that it works, is easy and for most things less of a hassle than latex

>yes luke smith smart yes

Attached: image.jpg (900x800, 155K)

literally no one uses that shit.
markup garbage only exists to copy paste resume templates on overleaf
fuck off

i wonder if a novel was ever written using roff

that seems annoying as fuck. Most shit is written using a proper text editor since the days of word perfect

the syntax seems a lot cleaner than latex for sure
also fuck maintaining a latex installation. Too bad it doesn't seem like groff has a beamer mode/prepressor
the only thing that pisses me off more than latex is fucking powerpoint. What a pile of garbage. Absolutely distroyed academia

it's a maymay

>fuck maintaining a latex installation
apt update texlive-common

>the syntax seems a lot cleaner than latex
its as clean as you write it

It has a beamer mode, at least with mom macros

There's no real reason to use it for most things given that TexLive is more powerful. If pandoc, org mode, asciidoc/a2x, or multimarkdown could emit groff it would be useful as an alternative lightweight PDF creation backend for things that don't need the full power of TeX.

The C Programming Language, 2nd Edition was typeset in unix troff on a VAX.

Can you give an example of something that TeX can that groff cant't? I don't mean macros, mind you since everyone can write macros for groff as well.

TeX has much better math and unicode support, at least historically, and XeTeX / XeLaTeX can use otf/ttf fonts.

On the other hand apparently Pandoc DOES have groff output now as of 2.0.

github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1839

pandoc -t ms input.md -o output.pdf

And the hipsters are starting to figure out that LaTex is too "mainstream" now and besides, they're getting bored with it. Not that they have any real use for it anyway. Guess it's time to start looking backwards to find a less mainstream replacement.

Didn't TeX came out as a replacement for groff?
Anyway, it's pretty useless except for generating man pages, and this is done automatically.
>Not writing your documents on a writing machine, correcting your typos by hand and scanning the documents to put them online on your ftp server.
It's like you don't live in the past.

No it's shit. Don't fall for Luke's memes.

>with non-english characters though

Why would anyone need non-English characters though? The only people worth communicating with speak English fluently. Plus alot of people not worth speaking to (i.e. niggers) technically speak something similar enough to English that they can sort of follow along of you use simple words and phrases. There's literally no reason to learn any of the so-called foreign (aka the anti-Christian/American) languages, ever.

luke is pretty based honestly
I wanna go innawoods and make shitty youtube videos about my rice everyday too

But .... But muh anime.

Just use org and export it to whatever

Markdown + Pandoc is the ultimate redpilled way to write documents, except in cases where you want precise formatting and fine grained control of your presentation: in that case, use LaTeX.
Markdown syntax is simple, clean and the most easily readable: even the original .md files look nicely formatted when directly read in a terminal, and with Pandoc, they can be converted to pdfs, html pages, presentations, whatever. Even groff output is now supported.

Math that actually works and looks professional.

This. Even precise formatting can be handled by using templates. What's more is that there can be multiple templates for each output format, and even if you need to output something completely idiosyncratic you can write your own output handler with a bit of lua.
Pandoc is really underrated. Most people see it as simple conversion utility but it is so much more.

Based