Name a better text editor

name a better text editor
>you can't

Attached: Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Elvis/NotesElvis.NM.html
geoff.greer.fm/2015/01/15/why-neovim-is-better-than-vim/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A piece of chalk.

emacs with evil mode

sometimes i try to type without enabling insert mode and everything gets completely fucked

nano :√)

unironically this

but spacemacs can go die in a fire

mousepad

/thread

wordpad

acme
ne
joe
jed
sam

you just feel kewl because it confuses your school friends

For serious work, visual studio code.

cat | sed > code.c

xi

Sublime

*blocks your path*

I like it because with few plugins it can do everything I do. I only write stuff, I don't program but it works great for that.

The only problem is that I got used to the vim bindings and I find it difficult to use something else. Tried Emacs, too many options that confuse me.

Nvim. But I agree, an editor without vim keybinds is an editor that is painful to use.

notepad.exe

I mean, since I usually code on the go (android with termux installed), nano isn't bad due to simplicity.

Though on desktops I just use Notepad++ or Atom.

lol atom

...Mainly Notepad++.

heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Elvis/NotesElvis.NM.html
I can preview and edit HTML and manpages with Elvis, and is way less bloated than other vi-like editors-

Attached: Elvis.jpg (685x385, 26K)

>*destroy your nigger editor*

Attached: 400px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (400x400, 47K)

this

nedit
DAMN YOU SOLARIS

hey, I'm using that

Wanted a text editor, not a OS suite

...until you realize that the only way Emacs can be good and not give you RSI is if you literally just turn it into vim.

Notepad

Try implementing structural regular expressions for Vim. Takes a few dozen lines in Emacs.

Vi

Attached: Best-Notepad-Alternatives.jpg (760x405, 17K)

My OS edits text better than your text editor
Pic related

Attached: download.jpg (224x225, 6K)

vsc

Attached: vsc.png (220x219, 3K)

but user! Vim is Vi IMPROVED!
What reason could you possibly have for using regular Vi?

Except Evil is literally not vim. And that's literally "literally", stop putting that word into literally every sentence. Yes, it has similar controls and that's the point, but at the same time the point of Emacs is cooperation and extensibility of Elisp code. Vim is a simple text editor you pop up to edit something and exit. You rely on your operating system to create full working environment. Emacs is an environment that allows you to seamlessly integrate your tools. Evil is just a comfy editor for it.

neovim

The codebase is much cleaner, it uses less resources, takes up less space and has asynchronous capability. Oh, and the plugins are nice.

vi

Have you ever checked what a complete bloated clusterfuck your vim plugin and syntax directories are?

Attached: 1540561930700.png (708x483, 184K)

i'm sure this is a meme but i like nano better than vim

same

VSCodium

vis?

>spacemacs can go die in a fire
what do you think about doom instead? I want to try emacs (mainly for org-mode) but I don't want to configure everything from scratch.

I don't remember Emacs being the most popular text editor of 2018

Nano

ed

Vim is the best text editor.

echo -e "#include \nint main()/n{\n\tprintf("Hello, World!");\n\treturn 0;\n}" > helloworld.c

Although you can use printf instead of echo -e

are the color themes for gvim only? All look washed out in vim for me, using urxvt, tried setting 256 color mode, tried all "solutions" on the web but nothing works so I aliased vim to gvim

Number 1 for brainlet js development, muh electron

The only real answer is doom-emacs

Nano

>writing a text editor
>compiling and running the text editor from inside the editor
>using the text editor running inside the editor to edit the text editor program

Attached: 1535398089351.jpg (737x720, 148K)

>not writing the compiler that compiles the text editor inside of the text editor

came to post these

>what is ErgoEmacs

emacs is full autism and nano is full retard.
vim is just right.

>doom-emacs
how fast is it? I tried spacemacs but it was slow as shit. If I need more than two seconds to start a fucking editor I might as well use some electron horseshit like vscode.

Notepad

I rebound my caps lock to serve as a control key years ago because my little finger was feeling funny (keep in mind, I did that globally, because the location of the left control key is retarded) and I haven't had any problems since. Keep in mind that I work a full-time job (with quite a bit of overtime) and use Emacs outside of it. For the majority of every day I have Emacs at my disposal and I'm using it. It hasn't caused me any problems with my hands, even though I'm using pretty much vanilla keybindings.

>not changing the code that runs in your text editor as you're using it
>needing to recompile the whole thing
Lisp has been a thing for decades, and you're still stuck in the stone age.

Doom emacs is pretty good. I don’t use it myself, but i use some of hlissner’s ideas and packages In my configuration.

The trick is to run an emacs daemon on startup and edit files with client frames. It’s a different method of thinking (buffers are constant between frames, for example), but it’s the only way emacs got fast enough to compete with vim for me. Since then I havn’t looked back.

Yep, rewrite an entire new program with lots of duplicated code in C.

Meanwhile in Emacs it's just write a few lines of a scripting language.

The vi approach is hard-code features in C, which is completely against Unix philosophy.

People who really understand Unix philosophy know that Emacs is more Unix than vi/vim

Spacemacs and doomemacs are just a config file right?

Well they’re each many elisp files, so kinda. The nice thing about lisp is hat data and code are not really differentiated.

What does vim has that notepad++ doesn't ?

Modal editing. Native Linux support. Runnable over ssh

Okay thanks

There are other things too, but I can't be fucked listing them. If you give vim a try, you'll find that a lot of other programs use the same key binds, or have extensions that allows for the majority of the keybinds. Notepad++ is just a basic text editor that, sadly, doesn't have the keybinds

I think imma try emacs, thanks !

>hard-code features in C, which is completely against Unix philosophy.
Then all unix utils like cat are against the unix philosophy.

Attached: 1537339277663.jpg (1936x2592, 661K)

dumb cuck

>If you're editing multiple files you can change to the next file with :next
>or go back to a previous file with :previous or :Next
>next file = :next
>previous file = :Next

Also:
geoff.greer.fm/2015/01/15/why-neovim-is-better-than-vim/

>people call things "vim-like" when it all it did was WE WUZ vi.
Makes sense that it would pester you about giving your money to Africans whenever you start it.

Attached: ed2.png (680x1483, 180K)

ed

What reason could you possibly have to be so racist? I don't understand how racists exist.

nigger

MS-DOS editor

Do you enjoy being a terrible person?

In the time that VIM has existed and bothered us about starving Nigs China's GDP has increased 10x and become one of the strongest nations on Earth.
Ugandans still can't feed themselves.

Attached: ba2028cafec7af446a209c8eb0944ff3.jpg (2100x1181, 593K)

neovim

Kate

Attached: 1529785038759.gif (350x233, 349K)

This but unironically.

Attached: aseasy.png (720x400, 15K)

redpill me on ctags vs cscope

Racism is becoming more and more socially unacceptable, which makes it more and more unexpected, in turn making it more and more funny, so a lot of it is just ironic racism.

Actual racism is increasing in prevalence in some communities for a similar reason. It's becoming more and more taboo to discuss actual differences between different communities, so people who have already accepted these differences experience psychological backlash and double down. There is also reaction in the opposite direction to be more intolerant of racism and what is perceived as racist-adjacent behaviour, causing a feedback loop.

Natural racism is just human nature to hate the unknown, but my impression is that everyone is so connected now that this is just very rare.

I just use dumb-jump, auto-complete and flycheck. I use these because they require little to no setup.

>hurr let's make a model that's incompatible with current shell command behaviour and call it backwards compatible

lol Notepad++

>loads syntax files for every language you can think of on demand
>bloated
Kids these days

Nowadays, if you leave in a civilized country and you're not retard, you can't just be racist.
However, it is still very much true that the part of the population being responsible for the majority of crimes are generally of a particular ethnicity (because they're migrants from another country that went to shit, so they live in poverty, and poverty breeds crime).
So yeah, call niggers niggers and people will consider you racist, except you personally, would probably differenciate niggers from black people, the former living in the suburbs and causing trouble, the latter being productive members of society.
Atleast, that's my take on it

If you do any extension to vim you've basically just made a worse emacs.

People who like vim (or any vi-like editor, which is the significant part) usually like its controls more than the program itself, but rather than take the mechanism to a better program, they try and force other mechanisms into it.

Why not throw out your computer and use a C64? Have you seen the bloat on modern operating systems?

Could you be more middle class?

Notepad++ is the best at having an author that spergs out 24/7 on Twitter, I'll give it that

Or we could just have less bloated software and have computers that feel 100x as powerful as they did before simply not by weighing everything down with trash software?

Microsoft Word in the Office 365 Suite

I think I'd have a hard time pal

What does this mean?