Installing programs on Windows or Mac requires opening 1 file and clicking through prompts

>installing programs on Windows or Mac requires opening 1 file and clicking through prompts
>installing programs on Linux requires a dedicated installation page and still doesn't work without tweaks
Why is there no .exe for Linux?

Attached: 1535501481798.jpg (480x360, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

snapcraft.io
youtu.be/5PmHRSeA2c8?t=284
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a windows fag and i find package repositories more comfy

I'd rather just type
choco install vscode
than spent at least a minute browsing their website and waiting for installer to download, then running installer and clicking through that fucking wizard

Your dumb
Linux uses it's equivalent of an exe and it's called elf.
What u want is a single platform that is the same across all distros like windows .net framework

With repositories you are relying on people unaffiliated with the program in question to keep the repository updated.

ye best start believing in bait threads anons, YER IN ONE

Attached: mfw.jpg (600x400, 31K)

this.
/thread

Attached: 09128108.jpg (1725x1309, 375K)

>doesn't know how to use Linux
>thinks .exe files are somehow superior
>doesn't have a pink computer
stay retarded retard

can Windows and Mac do per-application volume and move application audio between outputs while playing yet?

Attached: kofan_0331_39275663_269320213685988_4237343072704266240_n.jpg (1080x703, 91K)

>Open up pamac
>Search for "Chromium"
>Click install
>Enter my password
>Done
Was that so hard?

>can Windows and Mac do per-application volume and move application audio between outputs while playing yet?
Yes, they've had this capability for years.

jesus noob, just sudo apt-get obscurepackagename and you are done (as long as you have all the dependencies and you might have to compile some of it depending on your kernel) or it's one of the random proprietary packages (rpm, deb, and whatever else they got)

Double clicking an exe file is way more work.

>cherrypicking
see Most software not in a repository is a hassle to install and you can't refute this. .debs are nice but only work for debian-based distributions. There needs to be a universal .deb but I doubt the more retarded members of the freetard community would support something so centralized.

can't move outputs as far as I know

>(as long as you have all the dependencies and you might have to compile some of it depending on your kernel)
It's people like you that keep Linux in a perpetual state of catch-up. There is no logical reason for Linux to be less user-friendly than Windows or OSX other than laziness among devs and people like you who are unable to think critically about things they use/like.

why the fuck would you download unreal engine by itself? i can go on steam for linux right now and download bioshock infinite (uses unreal engine), and i don't have to do any of that shit in the picture

really it seems to me like that pic related is aimed at developers who are developing using unreal engine, which know how to compile stuff and hence that is not a concern for them. normies don't have to compile anything.

pacman -Syu program-thats-in-official-repo
yay -Syu program-not-in-official-repo

hasnt let me down yet.
practically anything you'd want to use is either in the official repos or someone probably put it in the AUR

>installing programs on Linux requires a dedicated installation page and still doesn't work without tweaks
It's generally just a single command. Plus this allows you to update all of your software at once.
>Why is there no .exe for Linux?
There are executable files with GNU/Linux. Or do you mean Android?

>as far as I know
Well that just shows how little you know about the subject at hand. You can literally change the audio outputs by clicking the sound icon and selecting what output you want to use. This works while audio is still playing unless the developer fucked something up.

wtf when have you had to compile anything? what does your kernel have to do with it, are you developing drivers or some shit?

see

not him, but is that per-application? last i checked, you could only have programs output to multiple different cards by configuring so in the program itself, if it even has the option, and it doesn't always work immediately or without restarting the program

I was reacting to that post you retard, unless you fucked up the order, which still makes you a retard

this is also a good point, one command to bring ALL of your software up to date.

>see
Building on Windows is a million times worse.
if a program has a single external dependency you're shit out of luck and have to manually compile that, and if that recursively has dependencies...

Yea since about 2006

Any non-retard could extrapolate that I was referring to software not found in any repository.

>if a program has a single external dependency you're shit out of luck and have to manually compile that, and if that recursively has dependencies...
This is bullshit pulled straight out of your ass. Why can most normies do it without an issue? Are you dumber than the average normie windows user?

you're right, one of the biggest reasons i use arch. the AUR provides easy access to basically everything
in the 5 years i've used arch, i've only had to install maybe 3 or 4 things manually, and i put them on the AUR myself while i was at it
windows software being easier to install and update is a rarity

>Most software not in a repository is a hassle to install and you can't refute this
If it's a Steam game then it's just a matter of clicking the game and it installs. If it's a flatpak archive then it's really simple to install that too.

If all you have is the source code sure, you'll have to compile it and install it with manual steps. You probably know what you're doing if are going to do that, it's not like most people will
need to compile UE4.

My nephew tried to do this on Windows this summer and couldn't figure it out but if it's possible then that's great for Wintoddlers.

Attached: [4K] 160306 여의도 우주소녀 (WJSN, Cosmic Girls) 팬사인회 성소 직캠 by Spinel.webm (842x720, 2.56M)

.deb files are just a zip that contain binaries. You can use .deb packages on Arch by unpacking it.

What about the software that isn't found in a repository? Or should Linux users only limit themselves to what people compile for their specific distribution?

.deb files also automate the installation process.

anyone advocating for .exe-like package distribution on linux is advocating for statically linked massive blobs
this is the reason why the repo-style of package distribution has its downsides. everything is dynamically linked

the debate boils down to static vs dynamic linking

There's no centralized repository of include files/library files on Windows.
You have to essentially first create your own package manager to develop comfortably on Windows, then maintain that manually with your libraries that you build yourself.

on a base level though winpe > elf

based and tuxpilled

Only intelligent post in the entire thread.
this guy is really trying hard to avoid critiquing Linux

unfortunately that's the future though, .snap and friends are exactly that.

per-application volume has been in windows since vista, but switching outputs is still partly up to the application (you can set and dynamically change the default, but this only affects programs set to use the default. to use mutliple cards, the program needs to be configured internally to use a specific card, contrast to pulse where it takes care of what stream goes where and can move anything around at any time)

You mean .exes also get the added benefit of not breaking when a dependency is updated?
Sign me up.

if anyone is using it it's probably been put in a repo somewhere. anything that isnt is usually not even worth installing. or a very fringe project someone put up on github

see

Per-application was removed in Windows 10 - it's recently been re-added with 1809 (but it's not quite the same, better in some respects, worse in others and in typical MS fashion, none of the UI is consistent)

they also get the added benefit of when a dependency has an exploit in it, you have to wait for the package maintainer to recompile with the new library, you can't just update the dependency and fix the exploit (and in fact, any other package that depends on this dependency)

are you going to keep ignoring me or what?

snapd awaits then.

Both single .exe installers and package managers are aids.
Programs should be distributed as a packed archive you extract somewhere and that directory includes EVERYTHING the program uses, including configuration files.
So when I delete that directory the program and any trace of it is permanently gone, no garbage left anywhere.

>Per-application was removed in Windows 10
didn't know that, i have a win10 ltsb 2016 install that i use only for solidworks, and it does have the per-application mixer
do you know if the rest of my post is up-to-date?

It's aimed at developers who are *using* Unreal Engine, not developing it.

so when a security exploit comes out in a library your program is using, you have to update the entire program, and any other program that uses that library, you can't just update the single library by itself and fix the exploit in all of your programs
oh and you're increasing the size used up by your programs by copying the library across so many times

just use firejail, you can configure it so the program can only write to a single virtual home folder, and nothing else

snapcraft.io

Yes

based and redpilled.
There is not ".exe" installer equivalent for Linux because that method is dumb as fuck. I'd rather type a single line in the terminal and be done with my shit rather than to wait 4 years just to get the installer running and clicking through numerous next buttons

you do know that even linus torvalds called out how much of a trainwreck package distribution on linux is, right?
youtu.be/5PmHRSeA2c8?t=284

This is a non-issue, exemplified by the robustness and popularity of including dependencies.

there is, it's snapd.
It's retarded though as is the static-linked idiom.

don't confuse winpe and pe
PE = Portable Executable
WinPE = Windows Preinstallation Environment

you sound just as retarded as T-Mobile austria when they said “What if this doesn't happen because our security is amazingly good?”

The corollary is that if a new version of a library includes a new security exploit all programs which depend on it becomes vulnerable.
>oh and you're increasing the size used up by your programs by copying the library across so many times
Non-issue.
You don't tend to have thousands of programs, and libraries are usually a few MB at most.

this and repositories is the best of both worlds
firejail keeps modified files in one folder, and the package manager keeps track of everything else
so you have dynamic linking, while still guaranteeing 100% removal

so basically everything has upsides and downsides

Wtf can you do this
asdaseqwdq[wcode]ewtqwewlfafasdlagafgergerqgqergargadrgadrgadrgadradrgadrgadrg

it's still developers, it's not normies

you used to be able to nest them more, but it's more limited now

Installing programs on macOS requires one single drag and drop, or just opening the program and click on "move to applications." You only get the installer prompts if the program requires to install system components. It's simpler on macOS than on Windows.

Still not an excuse.

The documentation of Unreal Engine says quite clearly "Unreal Engine is designed to integrate smoothly with Visual Studio". So using something that's designed to work well on windows as an example that linux package distribution is bad is like saying that compiling things on windows is bad because GCC was designed for linux.

Fuck you I want pink computer now.

Linux can install any program with a single command and easily update them all for you. Commenting on things you don't know shit about makes you look retarded so you should avoid that in the future.

I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Attached: Windows-10-GodMode.png (600x315, 557K)

Unfortunately true.

No you're not. In Linux, you can host your own repo. For example, owncloud has a repo for each main distro.