9 years

9 years
2,600 planets confirmed
6 habitable zone planets

RIP

Attached: nasa kepler.jpg (573x403, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1540955402346.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

F

we move to new planet? yay ^.^

Why doesn't it abuse star power?

It ran out of sun?

nice fuel there, NASA

>has ran

Why doesn't it run on nuclear energy?

But has not discovered hot alien babes
Gay

I think it's fuel for the thrusters to keep it in the correct orbit and orientation

it was and still is orbiting fucking SUN. ask elon musk to build you a better charger next time

that shit been had runt out

yes well in space it doesn't just stay still, it needs thruster fuel to maneuver to look at specific things,and since it has none it's an unaimable telescope. On top of that the heat from the sun on one side makes it tumble around so not only is it unaimable but it's also uncontrollable.

wait a minute. this thing is in orbit right? why the fuck don't we just refuel it?

Real life isn't KSP with just 2-body physics
No orbit is stable they all need constant correction

You can't just charge a thruster in vacuum, and you can't electricity to provide any significant amount of thrust, if you don't have any propellant.

I mean it seems a shame to either eject it from orbit or let it fall back to earth, when it could still be of use. at the very least shouldn't we soft land it on the moon to be cannibalized for future use?

>0 inhabited planets

There's more issues with the Kepler telescope than just the fuel running out. I'm pretty sure almost all the gyroscopes had already failed along with most of the other major instruments.

The logistics of refueling the telescope would be impossible as that was never planned for in the original mission and would arguably be more complicated and costly than just sending other telescope up there to directly replace it. Electricity alone in space can't move objects, Newton's whole first & third law pretty much sums up why you can't have meme billionare man make you a charger in space.

In orbit of the sun tho

It's not easy to reach

So they initially had flywheels to orient themselves, then they failed, and they had been coasting on thruster fuel which just ran out.

To date, NASA's prolific Kepler space telescope has discovered about 30 roughly Earth-size exoplanets in their host stars' "habitable zone" — the range of orbital distances at which liquid water can likely exist on a world's surface.

Or so researchers had thought. New observations by the European Space Agency's (ESA) Gaia spacecraft suggest that the actual number is probably significantly smaller — perhaps between two and 12, NASA officials said today (Oct. 26).

Kepler's total tally represents about 70 percent of the roughly 3,800 known exoplanets. And the Kepler count will continue to grow; nearly 3,000 planet "candidates" await confirmation by follow-up analysis or observation, and history suggests that most of these will end up being the real deal.

I hope they have a plan to remove it from the valuable and unique orbital position it occupies.

They are making assumptions about what is and isn't habitable that are not provable. It's an educated guess at best.

brightness of the star + size + proximity of the planet gives you relatively accurate data

F

Because it's past its mission date. Radiation, debris, temperature variation... will damage it enough which will eventually result in a too large error margin for its measurements.

It's just not worth it anymore to maintain it. Besides, there are much more powerful telescopes being launched soon. It has done its job, time for a new generation to take over.

Having more data doesn't make your assumptions anything other than assumptions. Venus is a great example of a planet inside the "habitable zone" that is inhospitable to life.
Exoplanet research is interesting, but at this point it's mostly guessing and not a certainties.
Maybe the James Webb telescope will fix that though.

this is why nasa is a fucking joke

>Radiation, debris, temperature variation
oh wow it's like they accidentally sent it into space instead of across the street. what a fucking waste of money, these people need to be out of a job

your a joke

>Doesn't have a clue how space missions work

>Mission duration
5 years (design)
10 years (goal)
yeah nah it will break

Spectroscopy gives us a good idea of atmospheric composition numbnuts. We aren't just banging two rocks together here.

reminder that they don't want to launch it while trump is in office -> moved to 2021 so far

you're'nt

>doesn't have a clue what a money sink is and how government employees work

Guess we'd better look after the planet we're on
Reminder that corporations are destroying the planet for money, and all the boomers responsible will be dead while we deal with the consequences

Time for China to build a much better space telescope.

"Habitable zone" isn't the same as "habitable".

Nobody claims those planets are anywhere near habitable.
They only claim they are within an area where, if everything else happens to be optimal they might be habitable.

trust the technocrats, let them destroy our planet for batteries and cellphones, we'll make it to mars soon enough! a second chance!

its time to stop posting elon

>but at this point it's mostly guessing and not a certainties
welcome to the world of research I guess

le real life iron man xD

Run. It has run out of fuel. Fucking tards.

F

First China should try building a much better anything.

>why the fuck don't we just refuel it?

Attached: 2fva.jpg (1280x720, 29K)

Shit dun ran out
This, but unironically

>this thing is in orbit right? why the fuck don't we just refuel it?
It's in orbit around Alpha Centauri B

I always hear this but how the fuck do we know what kind of conditions some alien fuckers might need to live, thrive and survive?

Habitable for us, why should we give a fuck about space niggers ?

For people asking why it isn't nuclear or sun powered, spacecraft use propellant to re-orient, you can just use solar energy to zap into a different direction

>Store energy for weeks
>Limit 2 large adjustments every few weeks
>Ohh no it's out of energy
>Well let's just wait again

>Elon
>Builder of billions of batteries
>Battery hater

Why spend a fuck load of money to refuel an old piece of tech when we can make something new and better for similar costs

Elaborate hoax to draw more money for deep state
There is a firmament above the flat earth as required by the Bible

The US military budget is a fucking money sink you crippled STD magnet. The future of the human species gets $18b whilst bombing niggers in Somalia gets $639b. Check your fucking doublethink you fart sucking cock holster.

I'm certain you're retarded but I can't figure out why. Are you trying to be ironic? What the fuck did you mean by this?

Kepler
2009-2018

Hubble
1990-

Why is Kepler so fucking bad?

no u

It ran out of reaction mass you retard.

Refuel it you tightwads.

Because that's a waste of resources, the earth only has so much precious metals

The most interesting thing that has happened with the Kepler mission is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

This star will drive science for decades to come. Hell I'm willing to bet money that research teams will request time on the James Webb Space Telescope pointing at said star to understand what the fuck is going on with it. The next 10-20 years will be very exciting once JWST & WISE both go up, with this star in question.

If it ends up being a non-artificial occluder, it'll give us some wonderous new insight into planetary formation & physics--but in the 1 in a trillion chance, it ends up being artificial in nature (like say a megastructure in the making); it will completely redefine EVERYTHING.

Attached: 1537410576408.png (1920x1080, 1.64M)

To add: if every other star data recorded ends up being a dud with JWST & WISE missions in the future (for those 6 or so candidates that are in the habitable zone), then KIC_8462852 was well worth the entire cost of the Kepler mission (launch, position in orbit, salaries of all NASA and astrophysics scientists & researchers, along with the eventual failure & decomissioning of the satellite and its respective costs).

Because it revitalized a greater interest in the scientific & space community, and has driven an interest for future missions to understand more deeply what is taking place--and expand our knowledge of space and stellar bodies within. Further, future space observatories should give us much higher resolution data of the star's behavior, so that we can really understand to what degree the dimming is occuring and how consistent the dimming periodicity is. Which will ultimately help us understand the nature of the occluding object (whatever it is)--as current back of hte napkin math suggests that the occluding object is ~1.5x the size of the star itself.

Stars already are pretty fucking huge, so for something to be that much larger, block that much light, and supposedly give off no infrared or radio is extremely bizarre and exceptionally unique. Something that is a very promising candidate for long-term study, new avenues of research & development (of better optics, sensors, etc.)--which in turn will drive up demand for more STEM candidates in math, engineering, computer science, material sciences, furthering the development of new technologies.

Highly anomalous discoveries that are consistent and cannot be easily refuted or dismissed are very helpful in leading to rapid growth in new scientific initatives and growth. They're a bit like world wars, where weapons research went from pistols to nuclear bombs in 25 years, and then another 25 years from there to computers. Evolutionary leaps in tech forward.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1540955402346.webm

>you fart sucking cock holster.

Attached: kek.jpg (219x230, 10K)

Any of the planets have dilithium crystals?

No it isn't you fucking retard.

D:

is the moon going to crash into the earth?

Kinda. Not like you think it might. In several billion years the moon will slow down enough due to the sun getting fuckhueg as it dies (creating a drag effect on everything in the solar system) that it passes the Roche Limit and begins to break up due to tidal forces. It'll become rings, and slowly the bits will decay and pepper the surface. The Earth by this point has already been fucked hard by the sun, as it's going to be something like 30% brighter by this point and will have likely stripped all the ocean from us.

But on a reasonable timescale? It's stable solely through being extremely massive. The small losses that kill small satellites have essentially no effect on it.

>Greatest American accomplishment of 21st century is some satellite

Fuck off retard. 70 years ago we would have launched 10 a year, instead were feeding 100 million subhumans.

This is Jow Forums not /sci/ you gorilla faggot

you fucking idiot.

The moon is slowly, very slowly, moving away from the earth-moon orbit.

>6 habitable zone planets within detection distance of Earth
Where are the aliens? Why is it so quiet out there?

F

The Hubble has been serviced multiple times when we had the space shuttle the last time it was serviced was 2009. When it starts failing we won’t be able to do anything just like Kepler

It is right now, but it's so slow that the sun will die (in 12 billion years) long before the moon rises to the point of tidal locking (50 billion years). During the sun's death, the increase of size during the red giant stage will massively increase the drag of the Earth and Moon. The Earth will eventually be consumed by the sun, but not before the Moon decays into the Earth.

>you fart sucking cock holster.

Attached: 1485843470714.jpg (413x395, 115K)

>9 years
>2,600 planets confirmed
>6 habitable zone planets
>billions in taxpayer money wasted
Priceless

>scientific research is a waste of money
america everyone

Attached: education.jpg (768x1600, 569K)

>scientific research

Attached: 1509916769898.jpg (1869x2569, 1.9M)

Don't touch it and let it die I guess, it's not like they're gonna fly it back.

Hey, I'm American and I think we should be spending far more money on research, not less. NASA is one of my favorite organisations

had runned outed of fueled

this

/thread

Goodnight sweet prince

dont worry user tess is up there continuing its work
although im not so sure whythey slapped the same engine and the same amount of fuel..

Still too white desu.

>550 million dollars.
>Is in earth's orbit.
>They couldn't figure out a way to make it possible to refuel.
And all of a sudden I'm completely turned around on the idea NASA should get better funding. With this much of a lack of foresight and disregard for funding they already have, I'd have cut their funding too.

>has ran
I also wish I had her ;_;

Attached: yakumo.ran.jpg (355x500, 24K)

>it was and still is orbiting fucking SUN.
Yeah and? Literally every planet in the solar system is doing that, you make it sound like it's casting shadows on mercury when it's literally trailing earth. The way you say "fucking SUN" it's like you think it's in low orbit or some shit.

Attached: Animation_of_Kepler_trajectory.gif (560x420, 1.44M)

>habitable planets
How are they habitable if we will turn into puss from the bacteria and viruses that grew in an entirely different evolutionary cycle a day after we step on the planet? Or worse, super-ultra-AIDS which is transmitted by simply breathing the planet's air.

Planned obsolescence

Attached: IMG_20181031_090352.jpg (1869x1169, 991K)

>white women are lazy whores
>black guy is working
I've always told you people in the Westcuck world that your white whores are jointly more nigger and more Jew than your stereotypes about niggers and Jews, but you never listen. Let this be evidence to the truth. White women are the greatest problem of all.

>How are they habitable if we will turn into puss from the bacteria and viruses that grew in an entirely different evolutionary cycle a day after we step on the planet?
Not all planets with oxygen and water has life, not all planets without oxygen and water is void of life. Also there are various states of existence beyond just immunity and cohabitation. Yes it's almost unavoidable there will be cross-contamination between lifeforms living in two separate environments, but the odds of them being fatal to one another are just as high as odds of them being innocuous. Human body itself is filled with bacteria that does nothing to us, not because we've developed an immunity but because we operate on separate wavelengths, they ingest things we don't need and exude things that don't affect us. It's highly unlikely we'll be "turning into puss" unless life is Arsenic-based.
Besides, you're thinking like humans are just super weak to everything. We've got billions of years of evolution bruh. It's just as likely that we'd kill everything on touch while staying perfectly fine. Hell, you'd only need to travel back in time 1000 years on our own planet to become a walking plague.

Equals planned cut funding.

>Besides, you're thinking like humans are just super weak to everything.
Nigga we die from missing a step, two steps from the ground level.