/MKG/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

someone is selling ibm model f ats for like 114 bucks edition

Attached: zRvje6R.png (1425x692, 337K)

Other urls found in this thread:

logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-keyboards/g512-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

btw should i get one of these?
looks like the AT model f, but i'm checking deskthority and idk

It looks like an XT to me.

Attached: IBM_Model_F_AT.png (1350x541, 1.12M)

How do you know they're legitimate?

I literally cannot fathom what the fuck is going through your mind if you buy some old POS keyboard just to be a hipster.

Fuck dude, you can get a modern mechanical keyboard, NEW for HALF THE FUCKIN PRICE

Attached: e45[1].png (680x499, 1.4M)

>Not getting something because it feels amazing
You were the hipster all along.

Buckling spring is still the best switch you little bitch, cherries are for weak effeminate fingers

Believe me, I love mechanical keyboards just as much as anyone on Jow Forums. One of my keyboards is a compact with metallic gold keycaps. I just don't see the point in buying some old, used piece of shit. If I was going to go all out on a keyboard I would buy a new one.

This is just like when hipsters buy record players to listen to their music, when they already have high fidelity digital recordings available

ye i just found out its an xt. been meaning to ge ta soarer's anyways
no idea desu, google seems to think they are, but they may need replacement foam
well my daily is topre, retro boards are just my hobby lol

>Getting something recommended from /csg/ is much better than getting a well designed and built keyboard.
The quality, the feel, it's incomparable.

So are you one of those people that think Old = bad, new = good?

desu a lot of new boards don't have the feel of retro switches. alps still blows cherry mx away in general.

Then buy a new model F. Oh wait, they're just trying to recreate the quality of the old boards anyway.

Attached: DSC_8525.jpg (3473x2030, 183K)

No. Conversely, are you the type that thinks old = good, new = bad? Cause thats the vibe I'm getting.

Ah, I see, you are that type of person.

>no u r

my dad works for ibm so i thought this would make a nice gift for christmas.
he's gonna laugh his ass off at this one desu. my daily used to be a model m lexmark and he would wake up in the middle of the night.

Attached: YHKdomw.png (1103x810, 146K)

Generally people who think new = good, old = bad are instantly defensive and start accusing the party of being the opposite... Just like you're doing.

daily reminder that old == bad

Attached: 5299067111_a1861600bf_b.jpg (1024x685, 270K)

Generally people without any sort of argument or point resort to petty namecalling and gatekeeping

>The first words out of his mouth were to namecall people as hipsters

Attached: come on now.jpg (211x239, 12K)

ever notice how new keyboard switches are mostly just cheaper versions of older switches?
matias is just shitty quality alps, cherry mx vs vintage cherry mx are vastly inferior, chinese clones and custom variants are mostly just there to fix the tooling used in cherry, omron is just shitty browns, corsair makes proprietry reds and silvers
i mean you'd be hard pressed as far as keyboards go to say that new keyboards are just better. cause a lot of the time they have worse build quality and shitty switches trying to be like the old ones.

you dont know which posts are mine, but keep at it with your petty posts.

BTFO NIGGER

>cherry mx vs vintage cherry mx are vastly inferior
To be fair cherry did recently retool a number of their switches to make them smoother.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

And fuckin LOL at that $40 cable just to run your legacy hardware

>He's this butthurt that old keyboards are still GOAT

ikr but the time and cost of doing another teensy is just not worth it lol, plus i can use it for other keyboards!
yeah their new clears made a nice daily before i got a 980c. now i can't stand to use them over topre, but they're a not smoother. as i recall that was what zealpc was trying to do was fix the rough stems.

If I'm not mistaken mx clears hadn't yet been retooled to be smoother.

not sure then >.>
thought i read they were but who knows lol

XT's should cost you like $40 dude. A hundred bucks should get you something like a blue button.

Attached: IMG_1610.jpg (2448x1454, 768K)

idk i just checked ebay, i think the price went up
then again not a lot are being sold rn, but it could be because vintage keyboards are becoming more popular. like the dell bigfoot is still going for ~50 usd.

I posted like three that were $40 just a couple weeks ago. I'd probably wait a week or two to see if some cheapies pop up if you can. If not, you may have to just fork over the extra cash for the time crunch. Hope you find a good one.

nooice. ill be on the lookout.

Waiting is always the best way to get deals. I picked up some second gen fujitsu leafsprings the other day for half of what the guy who discovered them did back in 2011.

bro leafsprings are legit tho
if u find any gourd springs hmu too owo
those are on my bucketlist

They are just as smooth as old hall effects and magnetic valve stuff I've tried. The second gen are dampened so they actually feel a lot like old linear keytronic foam and foil if you made them a tiny bit lighter and replaced the degraded foam with a hard foam. But then old keytronics are some of the most underrated of switches just because everything else at the time was so good and the later keytronic models were total garbage.

i know leaf springs are some of the best switches of all time, probably gonna pick one of those up some day if i ever get the urge

Get a first gen or second gen if you can. They got cooler caps IMO.

Attached: IMG_1926.jpg (2782x1255, 943K)

bro thats MIT af lmao
incidentally ive never owned a board with rounded space cadet style caps

Oh, except some of the Japanese 3rd Gens. Those can be really nice. But you have to go hunting on Yahoo.jp auctions

Pretty much anything before 1984 will have them. It's like the general cutoff date for cool and colorful, though you get a few stragglers into the mid and late 80's.

High profile spherical caps are good shit.

Attached: IMG_20180926_161727.jpg (3100x1606, 838K)

yeah if i ever get a board i wanna change the caps on ill probably get spherical caps.
sadly my only cherry mx compatible board rn is a ducky rainbow one, and i wouldn't change its caps out, not that i even use it anymore.

I'm so glad the Chinese have started making cheap PBT dyesub sets of this kind of thing. It really brings up the quality of modern boards.

someone on /hpg/ keeps posting her das with abs blanks, and im like PLEASE BUY PBT CAPS
seriously they charge way too much to be using abs.

On one hand, I like classic thick ABS because I don't give a fuck about key texture and I like colors a lot. A bunch of oldies are polished sphericals that never had texture anyway. Plus when stuff is so thick, it will never wear through.

But on the other, fuck whoever started copying it in the modern and charging hundreds of bucks for that. I can get a whole complete classic keyboard from the mainframe era with 3mm thick caps and crazy ass billion actuation switches for what they charge for just the alphas on one of those designer sets.

Modern reverse dysub PBT is looking pretty promising though. Probably the only real leap in physical keyboard technology there's been in twenty years.

If it means more PBT sets rather than every other groupbuy being a GMK set then all the better to be honest.

I'm not only buying this with the blue switches but I'm buying a stepped caps lock key and no one can stop me only by showing me a keyboard for the same price with cherry blues and backlighting

logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-keyboards/g512-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

Attached: 003Photo-Jul-13-8-53-38-AM-720x540.jpg (720x540, 66K)

why do u want backlighting
why do u want blues

I want backlighting so I can type in the dark and I want clues because I like how they sound and feel and my ducky legend who's spacebar died had blues

why do you need backlighting to type in the dark?
does your computer not produce light?

Fine, I'll shill for CM.
>Cooler Master CK550
>Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Blue, RGB LED, Full Size (Large)
>Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
I bought the CK550 for work. It's great

>114 for the second worst model F
Dang those things were 40 bucks in July. Guess I should be thankful I got mine before prices jumped.

looks like people bought em out too. can only see one f22 for like 700usd. probably better off getting a beamspring.

speak of the devil, i bought one and someone else bought one, so there's one left.

I was debating whether to get a F122 for 250 bucks, but I ended up getting a F107 with xhwatsit for 360 instead. Now both those keyboards have almost tripled in prices. The weirdest part is that this all happened in the span of a couple months since I started hunting for those keyboards back in march. I never thought they'd get so expensive so fast.

Attached: Model F 122 and F 107.jpg (4838x2722, 1.04M)

How do you type in the dark?

hell ive seen f122s for 300 along with beamspring for the same price.
so i went with a 980c. no regreterino.

With my hands? I don't get your question, am I missing something?

>typing in the dark

By not being a fucking retard.

Reminds me of when Beamsprings were $300 back in 2016 and then basically triple in price overnight. And now look at them. Ellipse is doing god's work with his repro F project because everything is going nuts. Pretty soon he'll be the cheapest game in town. I'll probably headhunt an F77 myself from some artisan hipster that sells theirs as soon as they get it in the first run.

beamsprings are nice switches, but they're too tall to use properly

Attached: IBM 3278.jpg (3264x1824, 505K)

By the light of the monitor if I need to look at the board for any reason. You nightblind or something?

How do you see where they keys are?

Sometimes I dont feel like getting up to turn off my light

Well fuck you too buddy

Modern beamspring switch that's MX mount & size when?

Nah, tall keyboards are the best. The real problem is modern desks are too tall. Look at old style ones that are closer to your lap. If I have to type a lot, I've got the keyboard in my lap anyway so it doesn't matter to me, but now you know why the modern ergonomics are fucked up.

Were you never taught how to touch type in school m8? You shouldn't have to look at the keys to type, you only slow yourself down if you do.

>How do you see where they keys are?
With my eyes. What do you mean? Seriously I have no idea what you're talking about. A keyboard isn't all that hard to see and you can feel the keycaps very easily since there are notches on F and J

lol elementary school corrupted me.
hands were too small to type properly, now they feel too big. i can touch type but i can't do like full hand like i'm supposed to.
marginally better than chyrosran since i use a few more fingers.

No I never learned to touch type and learning now would slow me down for months and I need to type fast

Isn't your monitor bright enough? even with mine on the lowest brightness I can see my keyboard just fine.

>marginally better than chyrosran
That's not saying much to be honest.

My keyboard in on a tray

Sounds like a personal problem then. It only took me a week to learn to touch type, and since most of the world knows how to touch type it means your IQ is less then 100.

So is mine

at least i can touch type how about that lol

At least he uses his thumbs for the spacebar now.

Ironically, Jow Forums and forums taught me how to touch type. Never underestimate the motivation of wanting to say something in a shorter amount of time. But that was like ten years ago.

>tfw still only 85'ish wpm

Well the monitor light doesnt hit it

It's not worth the risk of trying and having to beg people to give me time to type for any amount of time

tfw always too indecisive on which switch i want to get

Are you retarded? Like seriously, are you?

Get a switch tester, then pick the one you like best.

No but even asking someone for something is begging I dont ask for anything cause I am no ones bitch

runescape bro. also heating shitposting on irc.
i taught myself dvorak by just typing for a week on irc.

Buckling springs or bust

Attached: 20180426_105244.jpg (4032x3024, 3.7M)

get something completely different. go buy an old alps board, get a magicforce and swap the switches with something cool.

Why do you have to ask people to type? Like are you so retarded that you can't think for yourself?

>2018
>Unicomp still hasn't made a spacesaver model

No I roleplay in certain games and people get antsy if you dont send lines as fast as possible

they used to up until 2010
or you can make one yourself

Attached: Unicomp SSK.jpg (3264x1836, 1.57M)

the replica fs will have a spacesaver, but unicomp is using more budget equipment.

cherry reds, or silent cherry reds? i thought reds were pretty quiet in the first place

Get blues faggot

Keep trying new shit. You will learn what you like best eventually. I find weighting and layout is a bigger thing than switches personally. But smoothness above all others.

Beamspring and Model F for clicky
BTC/Cortron low profile for tactile dome
Linear all day erry-day for anything else worthwhile 50g, 2mm actuation, and 4mm bottom is just about perfect for me but 45g to 55g is all a nice range.

If you can't spend a couple hours on keybr then you're retarded.

What the fuck is keybr?

Imagine the money they would be raking in if they just kept doing it a year or two longer for the mechanical keyboard fad to really get rolling.

Thank you captain hindsight

A way to learn how to touch type in one day. If you can't spend more then two hours on it without giving up you're retarded.