Do M.2 drives have a serious heat problem? Would it be unwise to install an OS on one...

Do M.2 drives have a serious heat problem? Would it be unwise to install an OS on one? Or is it mainly just an issue with the sockets underneath the GPU fan?

Attached: mzv6e1t0bw-hero-0920.jpg (800x600, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
hwcooling.net/en/what-s-the-best-position-for-your-ssd-m-2-en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Do M.2 drives have a serious heat problem?
No, they get hot and may throttle under extreme circumstances. However you will likely never see this happen in general use cases.
>Would it be unwise to install an OS on one?
No, this is the ideal solution for them
>Or is it mainly just an issue with the sockets underneath the GPU fan?
see q1

Try next time

motherboard comes with m.2 heatsinks now

I have a cheap NVMe drive on a cheap board, it's right under the GPU that gets extremely hot, yet I never see it throttle, not even a heatsink.
It's always 1500MB/s.

no, M.2 is a form factor the variant of drives that doesn't go above sata3 speeds don't have overheating problems.
What has them are NVMe drives which can have a tendency to overheat

the more often complain I see is that the nvme port is in a bad thermal spot on mobos

This (and probably the same as mine).
Under the GPU as well.

Attached: m2 temp.png (636x685, 35K)

M.2 is a socket/formfactor/standard that can either accept mSATA or NVMe drives.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
>In addition to supporting legacy Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) at the logical interface level, M.2 specification also supports NVM Express (NVMe) as the logical device interface for M.2 PCI Express SSDs.

how many watts does nvme ssd uses?

But it's really irrelevant in normal use.

SATA not mSATA

Almost all the m.2 sockets have 7 wattage rating. Most of the drives seem to have 4 or 6 rating

jesus christ why do they use so much power?

That's maximum, usually you won't even get that when doing sequential transfer.

>Power Consumption:
>0.011748W Idle /
>0.075623W Avg /
>0.458W (MAX) Read /
>0.908W (MAX) Write

They use fractions of that normally. Especially since they idle way lower than other drives. But I think they use more maximum than SATA ssds due to far more throughput

tfw laptop has 2 nvme drives
tfw had to make a ``storage space'' for the 950 Pro for some reason because the disk tool wasn't seeing it hehe

Attached: Screenshot (49).png (1920x1080, 576K)

>no resiliency
W E A K
E
A
K

Attached: f6f19ce89948bed6a24b8dbb5a95fbbe.jpg (1536x2048, 235K)

>gamyen laptop
>shit don't work
Color me surprised.

dont be rude senpai

it worked before, but when I recently reinstalled Windows it didn't and Windows wouldn't let me install to that drive despite the fact that it was installed on there before. Not really sure what changed, but now Windows is on the technically slower drive

>ssd using more power than mechanical devices
JUST

Some motherboards don't let you boot M.2 drives.
Maybe that's your problem, check with Dell / update your BIOS/UEFI.

ye I mean that very same rig used to boot from the 950 Pro, and it still currently boots from an NVMe drive - Windows just bein a nig about it

0.9W is more than a 2.5" HDD? I find that hard to believe.

>5V 1A

Attached: 71y1g4+u2+L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1166, 169K)

How was he rude? He answered every question and gave some advise.

he belittled the OP

How else is OP suppose to learn?

I bet next time when OP has a minor question, he will find sqt and post there.

Fuck off, this is reddit safespace if you did not know.

Sure, just vote me down you fag, see if i care.

Which are a complete meme.

Not really, factory overclocked NVMe drives do need passive cooling to not-throttle.

SSD heatsinks are a meme. Flash chips prefer to run warm, if you force cool them they will shorten in lifespan. You can cool the controller though.

>i don't know how flash memory works
It's the charge pump needed for writes. It's why flash memory "wears out" - having to zap it with relatively high voltages to erase cells.

>Do M.2 drives have a serious heat problem?
M.2 is a form factor. Nvme drives can get hot, sata ones are usually fine.
>Or is it mainly just an issue with the sockets underneath the GPU fan?
I actually remember a test with various gpu positions the drive was better off under the gpu. Don't remember exactly where I saw it but I think it was computerbase

Processors run over 60 degrees
>this is fine
RAM runs over 60 degrees
>this is fine
NB runs over 60 degrees
>this is fine
Flash memory runs over 60 degrees
>OMG WTF LTBQ THIS IS A PROBLEM
There are a lot of things to knock about flash memory - this isn't one of them, OP.

You can always mount a laptop cooling fan pointing straight at it if you're worried.

Yeah it's weird, mine is under the GPU too and barely gets to 48C while gaming, while the GPU itself is almost 80C. I guess it's actually getting airflow from the GPU fans BEFORE it enters the GPU and the excess is going to be blown out.

They overheat not because of design but because of their position on the motherboard

Anything near the CPU cooler and below the GPU fan is unoptimal for thermal performance

There are Asus boards there that have the M.2 drives stick on the right side of the RAM slots and it runs cool

important piece of hardware trivia: only the controller should be cooled, the memory chips actually operate better at higher temps (like 50-70 C)

>Flash chips prefer to run warm
hello amdhousefire

Wrong, PCI lanes will be last-priority whereas SATA is first, regardless of user determined boot order. This creates a delay in loading from the drive and defeats the whole point of putting an OS on it.

>implying those 100ms matter

>not just turning off the sata controller

i installed my hackintosh OS on it and its been working like a dream.

Found it, it was hwcooling after all
hwcooling.net/en/what-s-the-best-position-for-your-ssd-m-2-en/

tl,dr
>gpu idles with passive fans - works best above the gpu
>gpu idles with active fans - works best under the gpu