/spg/ - Smartphone General

Honor Magic 2 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: IMG_20181022_155511.jpg (1440x960, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d7V92Rlygzk
youtu.be/D9prht-PcWY
ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-M1803E7SH-Unlocked-64GB-4GB-RAM-4G-Phone-USA-Global-Version-/153180995641
youtu.be/2iRWOaxWtDw?t=562
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/development
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I only need a smartphone for gps.
what is a smartphone that is not botnet and doesn't spy on you?

pls respond

>No audio jack

Attached: Club Penguin.jpg (700x794, 85K)

What is the best stock rom out there that comes shipped with the phone?

Excluding Android One phones for the purpose of this question.

Also excluding cyanogenmod that came with oneplus one.

Attached: 1489683438060.png (612x491, 98K)

take the tinfoil hat off you fucking boomer

Get with the times, old man.

My current phone is old and going down the drain, so I'm looking for a new one. I'm planning for a budget of roughly 200CAD (~150USD) and if possible I'd like it to work with Freedom Mobile (Bands 4, 7 and 66 apparently). I don't care about the camera at all, I'm more focused on battery life and it being able to run this one mobile game. I'm in southern Ontario if that means anything to anyone.

I'm looking at some phones from Motorola, Samsung, Asus, and LeEco (not that I know much about any of them). Am I making a mistake by looking at Amazon and Walmart? Should I be focusing on something like Kijiji, Ebay, or Craigslist? I was interested in a Xiaomi (though it's a bit outside my budget) but I don't think I can wait months for it to arrive, and they're supposedly banned now due to hacking concerns?

If anyone has any advice, I appreciate your time and patience. I'm rather desperate all of a sudden or I would have lurked more.

>not botnet and doesn't spy on you?
Doesn't exist. Buy a standalone GPS device instead.

Any Android phone with LineageOS, just don't install Gapps

The one on Pixels.

Oxygen OS from newer Op devices.

Does the S9 + Gcam have a camera that is as good as the Pixel 3?

Excluding pixels too. I'm not looking for stock android ROM.

2 months with Redmi Note 5, fucking love it
Even shilled it to some family members and friends

How shit is the new Pixel?

just buy a gps hat for a pi or get a microboard that has gpu built in

pretty shit, huge notch, quality issues again.

xl is shit
Pixel 3 is $800 and the only reason to get it over a op6t is if you need a really good camera

Only good thing is the camera which it excels in. Other than that Pixels are basically re-badged higher-priced Nexus.

> lte band 20
> expendable storage
> stocky Android / unlockable bootloader
> good update support till end of support period
> Android Pie - I don't buy old shit anymore
> stereo speakers
> no Sony chin- / fivehead-phone
> AMOLED or at least very very good IPS screen

what to buy? a fucking Note 9 would fit the best.. but Samsung. really?

I'm tempted to go for the opo 6T

>least intrusive notch
>6.4" slim bezels
>decent battery
>decent screen
>£529
>decent android skin

bad parts
>mediocre camera
>single bottom speaker
>no 3.5
>depreciate heavily

What am I missing? fite me

Attached: 1530877240406.png (630x828, 653K)

Budget: ~150€

I need a new smartphone for my dad. He is an old man who uses the smartphone to get and make calls, read and send some texts, uses Whatsapp to keep in touch with people and uses the smartphone as hotspot for his laptop when he wants to read some news online. The only requirement that he really needs are:
- the smartphone needs to be an improvement compared to the one he currently uses which has the following specs
>Mediatek MT6572 dual core 1 GHz
>512 MB of RAM
>4 GB of internal memory
>480 px x 800 px
- the smartphone needs to have a dual SIM slot because he has two SIMs (one for calls and one for the internet)
- obviously able to work as hotspot when he needs it
- the width must be under 75mm because he needs to be able to mount it on a base in his car

Since the specs don't really matter that much to him I was thinking of buying him a Nokia 3.1, given Nokia's reputation for their build quality and that the smartphone itself seems to pack some good components. Opinions?
(Please, don't tell me "add 50€ and you will get X which has much more power", he really doesn't need a smartphone so powerful, I would value ease of use and battery life much more than bare specs).

I have also to buy him some cheap silicon cover and a good external speaker because I don't want him to answer calls on the phone while he is driving. Any suggestion for a good and simple to use model to buy?

Attached: 1518502397133.jpg (160x212, 8K)

>which has much more power
*which has much more (computing) power

samsung j4?

I am looking to ugrade from my nexus 5x. I was thinking to go with 1+ 6t. what do you guys think?

The dimensions seem to be over what he needs
>151.7 x 77.2 x 8.1 mm (5.97 x 3.04 x 0.32 in)
it mounts Dual MICRO SIMs, but I think my father has a nano and Micro (which he can still convert to nano and the battery is just slightly better than the 3.1's.
Also on amazon.it it costs more than the 3.1.

Thanks anyway.

>iphone is 1000 dollars
>androids are buggy undependable unoptimized pieces of shit
why do smartphones gotta be this way
why can't every brand just have its own OS and ecosystem

Oh yeah I sure loved the middle 00s when every dumbphone wanted to be a special snowflake with proprietary connectors and shit.
You have no fucking idea how good you have it now my dear zoomer.

I just bought a trial of Mint Mobile. Does anyone know if it's good or not? I'm planning to go all-in with their 12-month 2gb plan if it goes well.

and I sure love having a great phone for one year, and then after an OS update or 2, my battery shits itself or my phone feels like an oven or apps crash etc.

>Nokia 3.1
Go for it. Or save ~20€ and get Honor 7S.

It seems like a good suggestion despite being just a quad-core (compared to the 8 of the Nokia) and it costs almost 40€ less on amazon!
How are the materials and build quality of the smartphone? I don't expect to be on the same level of the Nokia (I have had only Nokias in my life and they were all built like tanks), but does it feel too cheap?

Sony XZ2 / XZ3

Mi A2 Lite, it's ~150€ on Amazon.it.

I think it is a bit overkill for him and also I would like to fit the cover and screen protection (~10€) and the speakers in the budget (I don't know how much, maybe 20€?).

Well I think he'd appreciate the big 4000mah battery, plus it's a Android One phone so it'll get two years of Android updates and three years of security updates. Think of it this way, buying a phone with decent specs now might cost a little more at the beginning, but it'll also likely last longer before it needs to be replaced so you could end up saving you money in the long run.

try getting a non-shit phone.

iphone is 1000 dollars though

>external speaker
Couldn't you just connect the phone to the car's speakers?

The car doesn't have them.

>huawei claimed xiaomi copied their magic 2
>mi mix 3 launched first
lol

No speakers at all? No radio, cd/cassette player or anything? What car is it, a Yugo or Trabant or something?

>What is the best stock rom out there that comes shipped with the phone?
>I'm not looking for stock android ROM.
Fix your question then, idiot

I'm currently on Red Pocket TMO and have a Mint Mobile SIM on the way. They're both MVNOs and it's fine.
Supposedly:
1. Data might not work under extreme congestion (at an event etc)
2. Unlimited talk/text isn't really unlimited (if you use 6+ hours of talk every day they'll get mad)
Neither applies to me so I don't give a shit. Red Pocket works fine and I expect Mint to work fine.

>No speakers at all? No radio, cd/cassette player or anything?
He has a radio+cd player, but I don't think it supports smartphone, since he would still have to swipe the screen to answer the call.
With the external speaker he will just have to push a button, which is a much easier action.

Also forgot to say, but in Italy it is illegal to use the smartphone while you are driving.
I don't know how it works in other states.

Stock ROM =/= stock Android ROM

Stock ROM = whatever ROM comes installed on the phone out of the box, be it EMUI, MIUI or whatever

Stock Android ROM = an unmodified Android ROM, like what comes on Google Pixel or Android One phones.

You can use one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters to connect the phone to the car stereos even if it only has a radio. They even do ones with the button to answer phonecalls.

in my country it's legal to use a phone while driving, but only with hands-free, but I know in some countries it's completely illegal to use a phone while driving, even with hands-free. That's how it is in Italy then?

>You can use one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters to connect the phone to the car stereos even if it only has a radio. They even do ones with the button to answer phonecalls.
I will have to look into it, because it seems just what I was looking for.

>That's how it is in Italy then?
As far as I know you can use the ear-bud or the speakers, but you can't type or hold the smartphone while driving.

>Chinese company complaining about intellectual property theft

L O L

xz2 - to much wasted space on top and bottom. looks fucking old

xz3 - to expensive for what it is

You need some bezels to put the front facing stereo speakers in

xz3's bezels are okay

would a mi a2 lite be a good upgrade from an Iphone SE?
call quality, battery life and volume output out of the jack are all important

It makes more sense to get the heavily discounted 2nd gen since the software exclusives of 3 will eventually make its way there. $600 for the Pixel 2 XL is a pretty good deal.

you can buy auxilary plugs that plug into the stock head unit of your car. varies on make and model and year obv

my 02 honda civic only has a radio and cd player and i spent $15 to get an aux jack adapter that plugs into the cd-changer port in the back of the head unit (the honda civic had a trunk cd changer option, apparently)

Do you have any link to/model of the one you bought so I can search for something like that?

xz3 looks like a retarded note 9

youtube.com/watch?v=d7V92Rlygzk

hope the gcam port gets fixed for night shots

Just remove Magisk Manager from the list of "hide root" apps. Force close it after just in case and that should do it.
You're confused.
>iphone is 1000 dollars though
IPhone isn't the only phone that exists on the market.
You don't know what you're talking about and I doing you'll delve into this much nuance, but here it goes:
youtu.be/D9prht-PcWY
Definitely and in every way. You can't even watch HD content on the SE. I'm not sure why settle for the Mi A2 when the Redmi Note 5 exists.

>'m not sure why settle for the Mi A2 when the Redmi Note 5 exists.
Americunt thats why. note 5 doesn't support band 2

based snob gary always telling the truth

>You're confused
No u

The Taiwan version of Redmi Note 5 (model number: M1803E7SH) does have B2:

ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-M1803E7SH-Unlocked-64GB-4GB-RAM-4G-Phone-USA-Global-Version-/153180995641

very helpful, thank you

What is the best stock rom out there that comes shipped with the phone?

Excluding Android One phones for the purpose of this question.

Also excluding cyanogenmod that came with oneplus one.

Also excluding stock Android in Pixel/Nexus phones.

>Just remove Adaway*
>based snob gary always telling the truth
What? :^)

Moto X4 for 170€ yay or nay?

Hm, do i put LineageOS on a new Pixel 1 I have. Or do I try this out. Or should I keep on and get Google to replace my Pixel 2 for free? Kinda want to break away from Google, but don't want to downgrade to Pixel 1 when I am close to having them send me a new Pixel 2 (mine's all cracked). And I don;t want to buy a new phone until 5G is established. Hmm

OxygenOS

Is OP 6T worth the price increase over OP 6?

it's the same price

what's a good phablet under $300 for Clover, reading manga and ebooks? should i just get a tablet at that point?

Mi Max 3

Samsung is one of the few that have good Software. Yes its bloat, but the software is high quality.
So Samsung phones will get best Performance with stock app

This is not 2013 anymore, son.

youtu.be/2iRWOaxWtDw?t=562

Oh, I didn't even know of the Max series. Thanks.

Attached: Screenshot_20181031-124203_Samsung Internet.jpg (1080x2220, 703K)

Too big.

What do you think about the Mi Mix 3 guys?
Should I wait for it? Otherwise I might go for a poco. Looks like this could be an amazing phone, except maybe for the battery.

Attached: https _blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com_uploads_card_image_870755_62f32cb8-9a9b-4553-943e-6 (950x534, 624K)

Depends on the price. Chink phones tend to have fewer LTE bands compared to the big players also.

Yeah, maybe he will in a couple of years when it doesn't cost the entire multiverse.

nah, it's not to big.
my question was, if there's really no other choice than the Note 9. cause I know Samsung's update support isn't really good. Sony would be a better choice in this terms, but the phones are just ugly like hell....

>Chink phones tend to have fewer LTE bands compared to the big players also.
Big players? They're the fourth biggest manufacturer worldwide and achieve it in practically two years. If they're not the big players I don't know who could possibly be. Besides, CDMA has been retired virtually anywhere else outside of the US, so that shouldn't be something US carriers are proud of.

I set antennapod to only download/check for new podcasts at 2AM but it never does it only checks when I open the app I notice this with fdroid also where I have to manually refresh it for new updates. How do I fix this?

Achieved*

I don't think so if you're dead set on your requirements: . The only things Note 9 lacked are near-stock Android and custom ROM support.

I was in a similar boat a couple of months ago, debating between the S9 or Pixel 2. Ended up going with the latter mainly because of stock Android and double tap to wake/sleep (somehow Samsung flagship lacks this feature).

>The only things Note 9 lacked are near-stock Android and custom ROM support.
But that's not true.
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/development

That's the Exynos version...

>not using clover
Sad!

>That's the Exynos version...
Well, buy that one then.

Is it worth getting a note 8 at this point? I want to upgrade from mi5s to something bigger and better for a reasonable price.

Is buying into the mi8 meme worth it? Or is the Mix 2s better?
Or should I not be a spineless wimp and wait for a good phone with a jack?

How the hell do I organize my photos into sub folders on my android? I've had android for 4 years but never cared about sub-folders.
Well now I have over 9000 photos to sort but can't create nested folders?
Just googled this and it seems like I can't create nested albums at all?? What the fuck guys

Which phone has the best screen objectively?

Note 9

I have the note 9 for like a week and already had 3 updates. the last one was the october security patch

It has no custom ROM support and surely not a reasonable price ($580). Glass back and curved edges aren't a plus either. Just avoid it.
But it isn't a meme. Although it does lack a micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack, the 128 GB variant is $400. Add a fancy AMOLED display and custom ROM support to that - and it's a fair deal.
DisplayMate crowned the newest iPhones as having the best displays after that. I don't think there's a on objective measure for this at all.

There's an*

yikes.

but then i said that when the note edge first came out.

Attached: flexpai-launch-event-ithome.jpg (950x637, 348K)