The Nexus 5 came out 5 years ago for only $350

The Nexus 5 came out 5 years ago for only $350.

What went wrong?

Attached: Nexus_5_Front_View.png (800x1352, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_Region
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Google started to imitate Apple

What's the Nexus 5 of 2018/2019? Midrange specs, cheap price, and stock Android?

There used to be a market for middle of the road yet still well made phones. Now it's either $1k+ flagshit or $100 chinkshit.

Google stopped making nexus (budget flagship killer) to make pixel, shitty overpriced flagship.

>Midrange specs
Nexus used to have top of the line SoC. But these days SoC doesn't matter much. Neither is stock android nor its updates that great.

they copied their prices and gimmicks, but not the quality, support and brand recognition

OPO or Xiaomi I guess

>There used to be a market for middle of the road yet still well made phones. Now it's either $1k+ flagshit or $100 chinkshit.
It was all overpriced chinkshit.

Motorola, without a doubt.

The only thing missing is the nexus line's superior cameras

>nexus line's superior cameras
But nexus traditionally had a mediocre camera at best, save for the last ones.

Fuck. It was back in the day when it still seemed possible that Android could compete with iOS. Feels bad.

What their deal either way? Pixel barely sells and only created more negative news about the platform with all the screen issues. They managed to make everything worse in 8 years, beyond the assistant and the camera.

Motorola or Nokia

Does not exist anymore. Poco is the closest thing now, but you have to flash a custom rom for stock.

Moto G6 probably

>Still got my Nexus 5 and had it for years but now on a new phone that I got gifted.
Has a notch, but it doesn't bother me as I thought it would. Good phone too.
Sad to see Nexus line died out, phone was built to last.

Attached: 1521862897304.jpg (591x319, 22K)

>What went wrong?
Millions of hardware issues.

Spending over $400 these days on a phone mostly makes you retarded, since the top of the line SoC is in the $400 phones.

Nokia 6.1 or 7.1

From last year; Xiaomi Mi A1, HTC U11 Life, Motorola Moto X4. Find their updates for the 2018 model year, and throw in what Nokia is putting out.

Poco is garbage that doesn't even have bands for the USA.

>Poco is garbage that doesn't even have bands for the USA.
No, the US carriers are garbage for still using CDMA, which was retired virtually everywhere else outside of the US and even in most third world countries.

>HTC U11 Life

Attached: 1444421898087.gif (286x258, 2.51M)

Snapdragon 630 running stock android for $350, which is exactly what the post I responded to was asking for.

iOS fucking sucks nowadays what are you smoking?
Only reason to own an iPhone is iMessage

I have one and it's pretty great desu

Nexus phones were developer-friendly products made to provide the purest latest, purest Android experience, they weren't made to appeal the consumers, but instead to give something to power users, in fact they've never been intentionally good looking or had stuff like awesome screens and cameras
Pixel phones, instead, showcase the best that Google (not just Android itself) can do with software services and optimisations, and they're made for a broader category of consumer
Being honest, the two lineups could have coexisted without any problems, because they're different products for different people. They could have transformed the Nexus brand in a more developer friendly lineup, providing stuff like UART and JTAG, basically transforming them in hardware development kits, without necessarily being flagship phones

>things I am too cheap/poor to buy are overpriced
yet you have no qualms shelling out the $$ for your animu pillows or blacked.com premium membership

Its not the Motorola.

I still have my Nexus 5 in a drawer. Despite it's failing power button and deteriorating softgrip, I can't let it go. So many fun times flashing roms on that thing. Plus it still feels the comfiest in the hand of any phone I've ever owned. I'd kill to have the guts of a pixel inside the form factor of a Nexus 5.

>No, the US carriers are garbage for still using CDMA, which was retired virtually everywhere else outside of the US and even in most third world countries.

It doesn't even have the bands needed for AT&T or T-Mobile.

This business of calling carriers "GSM" or "CDMA" is obsolete when all major carriers in the US have LTE bands which will all be voice over LTE within 3 years.

You are missing bands like 12/17, 46, or 4.

Not even basic band 4.

Fucking pathetic!

Attached: flashing_eye_frog_2.gif (640x480, 445K)

>Lacking bands, just like the Nexus 5
>Build quality isn’t the best, but passable
>specs are high end, great value for the money.
>Still not as good as the flag ships, though.
Please tell me how it’s not the Nexus 5 of 2018.

>USA uses bands not used in the rest of the world
That’s your fault

Uhhh you retarded?

i feel this is true considering they try to build proprietary wireless charging standard

Apple got better

Classic iFag non response.

Attached: 1461943010749.jpg (480x480, 46K)

Latin America uses 3 bands we do, B2, B4, and B5
Pocophone did that shit on porpoise

except the Nexus had the top of the line SoC for that year and was extremely developer friendly
the only phones that come close to that are OnePlus phones, and I fucking hate to say it

>Latin America uses 3 bands we do, B2, B4, and B5
>Pocophone did that shit on porpoise
Perhaps. And you can thank your carrier's yet again for that. CDMA certification in the day and age in the US costs money. How do you expect competitive pricing with that?

Doesn't mention battery life.

Still rocking it after almost 5 years. Performance is still good but the battery really sucks (3 hrs max if i'm browsing Jow Forums)

this. 5X/6P were the last legit google phones, the pixel line is just "iphone with android" (and worse support).

This.

> Only $350
A decent Xiaomi phone was/is about half the price.

Google never wanted to be a hardware manufacturer and make hardware cheaper [for the people who cannot be baited into premium phones by means of a slightly less shitty phone camera].

chinks discovered aluminium.

get the shit out ouf your eyes, i've been using galaxy A series since 2015 and they're really good, battery life is great, build quality is Fucking fine, who gives a shit about performance as long as your apps load reasonably quick and they're around 200$

using the galaxy a3 2017 right now, bought 170$

What about it? It was mediocre at best and shit after a few months of use. That's common knowledge at this point.

>carriers
you naive fool, it's not the carrier's fault necessarily, they love the idea of a cheap phone with a lot of features to get people to sign up and become customers
the true culprit is the lobbying firm for the cellphone industry, the CTIA, all the big OEMs and anyone that makes phones for the US/NA market are a part of it and they're scared to death of Xiaomi/Pocophone because of how much market share they would steal from their golden honeypot potentially
attenuating an antenna and creating the LTE code to pick up American LTE bands isn't as difficult as you think, see Mi Mix 2/2S and Xiaomi Mi 8

Why is this Nexus 5's wallpaper upside down?

Google became a completely different company with a different business model, different objectives, different approaches to markets, and different corporate beliefs. The Google of 2018 is unrecognizable compared to the Google of 2013. It sucks.

Always go for a refurbished last-gen top of the line LG. The G6 goes for around $200.
Hell the G7 is $400 secondhand now.

Here you go moron!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_Region

Attached: kbr.jpg (550x550, 52K)