Design of major sites (YouTube, Reddit, Facebook) sucks ass

Why do so many major websites suck so hard? Lots of giant sites, such as YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit, have turned into massive lumbering pieces of crap that are SO slow and have SO many bugs.

Design trends have been going this way for so long that it's hard for me to remember exactly what these sites were like before, but I definitely remember them not being slow and shit.

Here are some examples:

Reddit
- The new design is really, really slow.
- The NSFW checkbox when searching is broken (or it was last time I checked). It isn't broken in old Reddit.

YouTube
- The comments still suck after they broke it ages ago.
- Sometimes you click on a video and when the page loads it plays the last video you were watching again instead of the next video.
- When you click on a timestamp in a comment, it takes you out of whatever playlist you were in.

The main point is that these websites seem like they're getting worse, not better, with each new design, and they introduce bugs and bloat that break things that weren't already broken. And these are some of the biggest, most popular sites - things this popular shouldn't suck this bad.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, or a more technical explanation of exactly what's going on?

tl;dr reddit, youtube and facebook fucking suck technically and I want to know why / have people rant with me.

Attached: zo9w7zbwy8gy.jpg (1536x1152, 237K)

>using Reddit
>Reading yt comments
>Not watching yt videos in mpv
Here are some fixes.

I don't think that's OP's point.

But yes, that is the only correct answer.

They're changing things for the sake of change to justify their jobs and budgets. Code quality isnt the concern, it's purely a "productivity" thing where productivity is measured by time worked because God knows they're not making more money due to design changes

Phones, large businesses, and pajeets.

>surfing the web in 2018
>not hording offline data and staying in your doomer ted cabin
>he asks his isp to please stream his subscription of social justice standup comedy in 1080p
>he opens reddit when hes bored
>he wastes his free time on distractions
>oh man better read what trumps critics tweeted everyday
>watching marvel trailers (trailers are ads)
>unboxing impression """reviews""" (ads)
>can you believe what this advertisement site looks like now? lets talk about UI on the advertisements because im a fucking retard who does everything in the cloud on a browser

>Google removes the volume slider by default for webms in Chrome
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS? Are volume sliders too much for normal people? What's next removing it by default for Youtube?

I sometimes browse reddit on my phone for MtG information, the mobile site is extremely fucking ass with 5 seconds loading times and the app manages to be far worse
Reddit actually supports the old layout on old.reddit.com
I wish more websites supported views of their website not bloated with a thousand fucking javascript packages

This a million fucking times!
Simple is better than complex. With UI, once you have something that is simple, works well, and is overall solid, there isn't much left to do. You aren't really going to be constantly hacking away at it try to optimize it. So UI people just make changes to justify their existence. Plus UI developers / "designers", especially in Web development, are retards.

Don't forget them asking you to install the app every few clicks. And they deliberately make it as confusing as possible to say no.

because marketing mostly
just use rss feeds and avoid the whole thing while you still can desu

My theory is that it's because of a lack of competition. These social media/internet tech giants have such a stronghold, that they can afford to release broken or slowly functional products.
Another thing is that the design of good UI and development of fast websites takes time and effort. They are able to purchase cheaper labor at the expense of the consumer's experience, without losing any market share due to their monopoly status.

Listen man when you're in the business its /your/ business. You gotta eat and pay the rent at the end of the day. I dont blame the UX monkeys, they have it tough

God fucking damn that's the worst
Especially the part where they say it speeds up the pages by 50%. How the fuck can your web page be that slow to begin with?
The joke is of course that their app isn't faster

Maybe it's our fault. We had the chance to become the customers and we didn't take it.

Remember a few years back when Facebook announced they were going to start charging everyone? There was a huge backlash. Nobody wanted to pay. But Facebook had to make money somehow, so they had to find other customers. Now the customers are the advertisers on Facebook, not the users, so the only people Facebook are interested in keeping happy are the advertisers.

I think these big sites would be a lot better if the users paid to use them. Services like Google are so massive that they could charge a very small amount and still make lots of money. Then the users would be the customers and we'd all be able to demand that YouTube or Facebook or whoever made their websites less shit.

>Why do so many major websites suck so hard?
javascript

It's called technical debt

doesn't work that way

With nowhere else to go, google et al will remain shit, even with you paying.

This happens in every situation there's a monopoly.

Well there's no real competitor to Google as a search engine, but that's not to say there couldn't be a good competitor. For other Google products there are competitors, such as the whole Google docs vs Microsoft office thing.

If we paid for Google then it would mean more to them if we switched to a competitor.

Maybe they should have learned a more useful skill. I get that overall HTML, CSS, and JS are all garbage; I really do. I fucking hate that garbage. But then UX monkeys go and make a fucking bloated shitty frontend framework just about every week that is no better than what we had before. All that happens is they just stack the shit higher with broken abstractions using a language that does OOP poorly. If most of the woes that UX monkeys faced weren't self inflicted, I'd have more sympothy for them. But it's their doing, so fuck'em.

Also ineptitude

New gen of programmers and designers are retarded. Nothing more really

I like that a lot of academic pages and documentation are in the style of motherfuckingwebsite.com
Easy to read, loads instantly, you can browse it with a potato or even with elinks if shit hits the fan.

Implying they'll only charge as much money as they need to "make a little bit of profit" and won't just sell your data anyway. That's not how business works.

Sure, but the point is if users are the customers then they have the power to demand that services don't sell their data.