Stable overclock yesterday

>stable overclock yesterday
>unstable today

Attached: 1504276556456.png (493x341, 168K)

remember that "stress testing without fail for 24 hours means you're stable" is a huge meme. overclocks are more sensitive to constant voltage change than maintaining the same voltage all the time. this is why you may pass prime95 for 24 hours but crash instantly trying to browse the internet.

This. Stress testing is a meme beyond exposing obvious instabilities. Are you using speedstep+dynamic vcore? Sometimes this can result in idle clocks that are too low, making the system unstable with low usage.

GPU overclock

I went all of yesterday without an incident in anything involving my GPU but today I can barely go 5 minutes without a crash even at a lower core clock

What card?

1080ti

lol, overclocking that card is fucking pointless. Read up on ReadyBoost. It's already automatically OCing itself pretty much to the limit. You'll be lucky to squeeze out more than a couple extra frames per second.

>ReadyBoost
Oops, I mean GPU Boost.

Apparently GPUboost was last gen tech according to nvidia's website.

I managed to grab an entire extra 700mhz on the memory clock yesterday and 170mhz on the core clock with no instabilities but today even going down to 600mhz and 150mhz causes le video games to crash

Did you do benchmarks? I guarantee, you're getting so little real-world performance for that slight bump. I did extensive testing with my GTX 1070 and it was just more trouble than it was worth.

I bet you burned out the card, you'll have to buy a new one buddy

When it comes to GPU overclocking, you're supposed to raise the core clock first until you reach instability. Then raise the memory clock until you hit instability. Then begin to reduce both of them until you get no more crashing. It's a long and tedious process. You need to benchmark using many different applications. What may be completely stable in one game may be totally unstable in another game. It's not worth overclocking the GPU unless you got lots of time on your hands.

It was like 5fps, but that was kind of important in the kind of games I play

lmao

I saw a site yesterday that said to do it the reverse way

most 1080ti's can't go past 600mhz overclock unless you got a very lucky card or you crank your voltages up.

>overclocking
>ever
spotted the nigger

Attached: 1527701051314.jpg (919x960, 195K)

You can raise core/mem clock either way. The result is the same. Find the sweet spot for both so it doesn't crash. You may be able to squeeze more core clock with less mem clock or vice versa. But ultimately stability matters and you have to test all sorts of games to guarantee stability. like FFXIV can handle my GPU OC no problem but it crashes all the time in Monster Hunter World so I had to back off a few mhz and now it's stable.

what are you sitting at for core clock then?

You've damaged it now. Performance will progressively decrease till it eventually turns off.
You better RMA it and tell them you tried to OC. They'll understand

Attached: aXbKAGP_460s.jpg (460x438, 50K)

I don't own a 1080ti, I'm just speaking from data online. GPU boost 3.0 already pushes your card to limit based on your temps and power limit. Adding extra mhz won't be easy unless you crank up the voltages or get a lucky GPU. Every card handles overclocks differently so you have to experiment.

what kind of games are you playing where it's important to overclock a gtx 1080ti

This

Any game at 4k resolution?

a stock GTX 1080Ti should be able to chew through any game at 4k unless you're playing something that's extremely CPU bound

Nvidia rigs the OC of older gen cards with each driver updates

Attached: overclocking your gpu.webm (1280x720, 668K)

>doing overclock
Sasuga gaijin,nobody cares

I bet OP is a retard and didn't raise his power target limit or he bought a 1080ti that doesn't have additional power pins to support the overclock.

>nb4 OP bought a second hand one that was used for mining

chips decay.
Higher heat and/or higher voltage (process dependent) -> faster decay.

>ReadyBoost
This takes me back

GPU Boost 3.0 is current gen tech starting with Pascal series cards. The cards basically overclock themselves automatically if your temps aren't high enough.

This. There's microfractures in the silicon.

You can easily get another 10-15% out of lower-clocked models via the core alone, and cranking the memory up to 12GHz (achievable by most cards) also helps in games that are bandwidth-starved.

overclocking GPUs is fucking retarded

how do i overclock a CPU then?
i have a AMD fx-8320

raise the multiplier in the bios and test all your programs until you reach instability

shouldn't i increase the voltage? or does that do it automaticly and it multiplies everything

voltage is usually on auto but tends to overshoot so would be best adjusting it manually once you've decided a clock speed and whether it's even worth it

only increase the voltage if you have to achieve stability. generall your motherboard will have voltage on auto but you want to disable that and manually tune the voltage to be the lowest it can go while still being stable. remember that higher voltage = higher temps = less lifespan on the cpu

this
>he didn't get a seasonic psu

Do the base clocks really matter though? My 1070 runs way above the clocks on the box by default.

anything at 144fps, most new games can't even do 1080p at 144 ultra with a 1080ti

Literally this, even a RTX 2080ti wouldn't be able to do 144fps in all games

>bios update
>overclock is now unstable

fair enough but chasing after 144fps is a big meme. you will always have dips below that because of how poorly coded some games are to take advantage of multicore CPUs. like you can have the strongest PC in the world right now but still get dips below 60FPS in that kingdom deliverance game.