Why is it so bloated? 1.2gb RAM sitting idle. Is foot better?

Why is it so bloated? 1.2gb RAM sitting idle. Is foot better?

Attached: Screenshot_20181031_202424.png (1920x1080, 990K)

gnome is shit
idle kubuntu for me is 500-600mb
kde neon like 450mb idle

maybe it's firefox

unused ram is wasted ram, it's better for the OS and programs to cache ram that's not in use and then uncache it when something more important needs it.

You are loading half of gnome, you fucktard. stop using shitty gnome software to look at system usage.

>Is foot better?
No. Use TDE. The interface is clean and consistent, there's thumbnails in the file picker with Chromium, and it uses about 250MB RAM idle. It looks like Windows XP out of the box on Q4OS and does everything you'd expect from a desktop OS. There's no reason not to use Trinity.

Modern desktops were a mistake.

Attached: q4os.png (1280x1024, 138K)

user, you're running firefox. Compare browserless to browserless. I installed Fedora with GNOME and it used roughly 1.2 without any browser running. Haven't tried KDE yet.

>lol I bought a lot of RAM so just fucking eat it all thanks javascript niggers!
>unused ram is wasted ram!
Fucking retard.

It's progress. Accept it or you're a luddite bigot

Attached: bloatening.png (1824x1276, 569K)

i run KDE and my idle is like 500
xfce and i3 are much more minimalist if you care about it
also lmfao firefox

> 1.2gb RAM sitting idle
Seems pretty reasonable for a browser and a few other windows, what is the Problem?

>firefox
>r/politics
how is this getting replies?
congrats on a successful bait

sageru

Unused ram is wasted ram.

>linux DE takes more ram than windows + antivirus
>my win7 intallation takes way less than that

>my desktop OS from 2007 takes up less RAM than a desktop OS from 2018
Wow, look at this retard. Try installing a modern version of Windows. It eats up just as much memory, if not more. Pic related is with only Firefox open, and Firefox is using around 600MB.

Attached: Capture.png (928x473, 256K)

Well, how much does it take then?

KDE is a bit thicc but it's more efficient than Windows, and it's still faster and is more reliable. RAM is expensive, and arbitrarily using a fuckload of it because "not using it would be wasting it" is a shitty excuse for writing shitty software.

The fact that Firefox with 5 or 6 tabs open can take up as much RAM as my entire OS, DE, and a few other applications all combined is absurd. Yet, it isn't really even Firefox's fault- the thing is practically running a VM per tab because web developers can't write a simple and sane website, and instead insist on everybody running a bloated, overly animated botnet plus desktop application inside an interpreter in every single tab.

>embedded windows idles on 2GB
Why am I not surprised

use XFCE nigger

Use TDE spic.

>using a browser
>complaining about ram usage
pick one

shit bait

Attached: 2018-10-31_23-43-50_1541022230805655574.png (832x671, 273K)

anything post-telemetry microshit is trash, pre-telemetry win7 is where it's at, and that has nothing to do with "modern" unless you mean "electron/js ram hungry and inefficient programs era"

About 500mb, 1,5gb with browser (6 tabs), VLC, Sublime text and Discord (for normie friends) but I'm really considering leaving Discord because it doubled its memory usage while trying to be a steam clone, loading a bunch of useless video ads on top.

?

Attached: 7x64sp1ultimate.png (412x459, 42K)

maybe its the kernel catching files?
The kernel will start catching files if there no reason for having ram not used so you maybe should first check that and then do the test

>anything post-telemetry microshit is trash
>and that has nothing to do with "modern" unless you mean "electron/js ram hungry and inefficient programs era"
Some people have to use this shit for work. I have hardware that requires Windows 8 or higher and there's no way in hell I'm using Windows 10.

And by the way I'm the guy shilling TDE. Install TDE, faggots. It has lower RAM usage than Windows 7 and does all the same shit except "muh gayemz".

is it just me or was LXDE the last 'big' DE project that made sense but just needed much more love to be succesful? As in, it acted more like a wrapper for applications to form a DE from extremely modular/standalone programs than as a forced combination of integrated applications that force an ecosystem.

Install mouse

Could be prefetch.
Try LxQt, it's just 200 mb at start (minimal version tho).

>browser open
>idle

pick one

Choose your flavour:

I3 < xfce < lxqt < mate < kde.
Anything else is shit.

what is the most lightweight and easy to setup/well documented setup OS right now

Half of that RAM usage is Firefox.
Gnome would be eating that much without Firefox open.

Manjaro i3. 230mb idle

Lxde ftw

>live environment
>ram cache
user pls

*krashes*

Attached: kde.png (481x233, 269K)

>He's a ramlet

Neon is like ~300mb idle*

If you like Qt use LXQt, otherwise just Xfce

1/10 made me reply

Attached: 1534042817852.jpg (600x552, 23K)

Jow Forumspolitics shit fagget count getting myself banned so don't have to look at you anymore fagget piexe of shit

Attached: sketch1540429266519.jpg (360x670, 179K)

People who actually care about ram utilization are mentally ill.

Unless you need the used ram for a task, there is no issue, and the operating system already allocates ram seamlessly for you, moving more uncommonly accessed ram into a pagefile.

That's a nice dick.

Underrated DE.

DEs are a waste of time, resources, mindjuice. Just use a WM you like. You have to read up a bit though.

openbsd

Nice inequality signs, ding-dong.

Having XFCE been ported to GTK3, I already wiped my shit clean and currently installing Devuan with KDE

they are fine to express the ram size though

Or this is bait, or is a baloo/akonadi bug.
Disable file indexing and uninstall akonadi.

>current year of the lord 2011+7
>using a DE

>You have to read up a bit though.
Waste of time when I can just use a DE.

>computers are stronger than they've ever been
>"now's the time to go ultra lightweight guise!!"
I assume that you eat by only using your fingers because fork and knife is just bloat, right?

disable task scheduler and delete the prefetch folder, you will be surprised

Uncanny, same as mine (32bit wes7), I can get it down to 320mb with an ntlited 7 but cant get lower

debian xfce, 87mb

which kernel?

yeah, why read for 20 minutes when you can spend the rest of your life with slow buggy bloated crashing pieces of shit

>the current year
>1 (one) gigabyte of laptop RAM
How do you do anything at all

default kernel during install (i did targeted)

Attached: 1519877819361.png (200x193, 30K)

Bear in mind that DE can be light even if it uses some ram, not everything is constantly running in the background.
That 100MB you saved by removing loads of features is wasted in a heartbeat when you open that extra tab on the browser.