/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 302013 devil halloween headphones kalian love_live! nishikino_maki tail thighhighs wings.pn (1000x1240, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/505992
twitter.com/AnonBabble

son william of schiit shill has been cursed, buy schiit!
also idol trash here, what setup is like yours anonalonadingdong

Attached: 1540950339182.png (960x924, 1.23M)

How are the d7200?

Ascended user here. Daily reminder of the state of this whole thread:

>Delusional Shiit shills that legitimately, unironically believe they made good purchases. Bonus points if they say "YGGY!" which is code word for "You and i know we made a horrible mistake but we shouldn't say it openly because that would mean accepting we fell for the meme"

>ZMF shills that will only post "PREORDER" or a copypasta with random nonsense about a literal who that resells chinese aliexpress drivers into wooden cases strapped with a hairpin for thousands of dollars. Again, people that spent WAY too much and wont admit it made a mistake. Bonus, the Zach & Friends defense force that will drown your post with nonsense so it disappears quickly

>IdolTrash asking what's your gear

>TakstarDude recommending the same shitty headphone to anyone too poor to afford something better or too lazy to buy CALs

>Sennheisser Army that instead of focusing on what is good about senns, like upper range and soundstage, decide to spread lies like "good bass on the HD600" or "Totally not murder trebble on the HD800" .

>Audeze and Hifiman fanboys posting the only picture they could get before their "headphones" fell apart in tiny pieces. They try to defend their headphones without mentioning sound quality

>People who unironically, in 2018, are buying Beyers and AKG's ignoring how those companies went to shit along with everything they make many moons ago.

>Randoms trying to make you believe STAX is a meme

> only 1 dude posting about the "superior Planar sound" that even he himself knows its a meme

What's a good entry-level amp that will help getting the best out of say, an HD600 or DT990 Pro?
Nothing too expensive.

maki is not even that cute tbqh

Pretty good. Not as comfortable as they look though, and its the biggest annoyance. The headband is pretty stiff, and the earpads are rather shallow.
That said, they have good sound, with a downward slope sound, with a warm sound, and recessed treble.

I have put ZMF Ori pads on them now, the pseudo-suede ones, and they have become very comfortable. I think they don't sound as good as stock though, but the added comfort sealed the deal for me, considering sound isolation and comfort is a bigger draw to me than excellent sound quality. I have plenty of good open-back if I don't care about isolation. They're not portable headphones though.

Micro and macro dynamics are absolutely exceptional. Switching from anything else to Verite is like switching to 4K HDR - there is just sharper color and depth to every note. This is because the texture of continuously changing volumes is reproduced so incredibly accurately and clearly. Super tangible and ultra realistic texture. I can see why the name "Verite" was chosen.

One of there really defining elements to the sound for me is the attack. Verite reproduces everything with a very tight, clear edge to it. Transients are A++++. I mean, when you talk about transient snap, this is about as good as it gets - has that electrostatic-like immediacy to it. Every sound that comes out of it, you're like, "I know exactly what the #$%& that sound is and where the $&?# it's coming from." It's just super assertive in it's sound. Love this!

Bass on Verite is beyond first class. Impact is super stiff. Great sense of suddenness to it. Even more power than the blackwood Auteur, which is exceptional in the bass dept. Bass clarity is planar-like - you just get that extra level of detail down low that you usually can't get with dynamics - super clear and detailed. Never congested. Really great differentiation between different notes/sounds/instruments down there.

Attached: _DSC1094.jpg (1500x1020, 187K)

If you wake up and the 1st person you meet is an asshole, you met an asshole. If you wake up and everyone you meet is an asshole, maybe you're the asshole.

or you're on Jow Forums

L300 for ~$430
is this ok

srs-3100 is $650-700. srm-252 is $250. L300 is $400.

That's probably just for the headphones, you need the energizer which is a couple hundred bucks

How important is having a sound card as opposed to just using the motherboard?

is aliexpress the only place i can buy SHP9500 for reasonable price?

maki user, can be used for a detachable cable mod for the 007? should try to buy some off dan. also, how are the stock atticus pads on the 007? did you try the auteur pads or only the universal?

So after we've disqualified AKG and Beyer for being chink shit, Sennheisers for their shitty bass, and Hifimans for their trash build quality what is fucking left?

ZMF

Attached: 1524643783799.jpg (6000x3376, 2.24M)

Japanese memes

Mr.Speakers, Fostex, Denon, Audio Technica, Philips Fidelio/SHP before they're sold out, V-Moda, Beats, etc ...

I mean, there's plenty of companies making headphones, not only an austrian/german axis of companies.

>ZMF
>literally who company whose products aren't available at neither of the 3 biggest international online retailers of audio equipment
No comment.

Thought so.

And if I live in europe, I should go ahead and fuck myself if I don't want to pay import fees, right?

All the noteworthy AKG and Beyer models are made in Europe though, only the shitty $50 crap is made in China.

>implying most of those brands aren't available right at Amazon or other hi-fi online stores like Thomann

>And if I live in europe, I should go ahead and fuck myself if I don't want to pay import fees, right?
I live in Europe, and Sennheiser is unironically a god damned ripoff in Europe.
Also, Denons are on the cheaper side compared to US prices, Fostex aren't really more expensive as far as I know, Mr.Speakers are expensive as shit to get.

But really, that other guy is high on some shit, because Beyer and AKG are still pretty good. Even if AKG produces everything in China, and maybe the K712 in Slovakia, as far as I know.

>Mr.Speakers, Fostex, Denon, Audio Technica, Philips Fidelio/SHP before they're sold out, V-Moda, Beats, etc
Overpriced shit, overpriced shit, overpriced shit, SHIT, shit, shit, nigger shit

What about the K712?

Yea, like four of them are available at Thomann.

Haven't seen many Denon products the last 3-4 years.

>Haven't seen many Denon products the last 3-4 years.
Bought my AH-D7200 this year, pretty much half-price compared to MSRP, on Amazon UK.

>Amazon
If I received a percentage of the purchase price of every item that had the text "This item does not ship to Hungary" when I wanted to buy it, I'd be drowning in money.

Where are the feet?

Budget
£200
Source
Fiio X5ii/PC
Open or closed
Open
Comfort level
To be worn for several hours

find me a halloween headphone wearing anime girl displaying her feet

Not him, but here you go.

alpha.wallhaven.cc/wallpaper/505992

Was that so fucking hard?

>Budget
$250 or less. Flexible, but no more than $300.
>Location
US
>Source
PC with a Schiit Modi 2 DAC and a CMOYBB headphone amp.
>Type of headphone
Full size.
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
I can accept a lower comfort level for better sound quality, as long as it's not a vice on my head. I generally don't listen for longer than three hours at a time.
>Sound signature
Neutral or bright, I listen to a lot of instrumental and classical stuff.
>Past headphones
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. They're nine years old and the ear cups are starting to fall apart, so I was thinking about upgrading to a pair of open headphones. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X ($99), the Sennheiser HD 599 ($185) and the beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO ($179). Alternatively, I could just cheap out and buy some new ear pads for my HD280s. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached: DqnBLyCU8AAVUfY.jpg (2986x4096, 712K)

user I'm sorry I'll post it if I'm around next time

Attached: untitled77.png (500x483, 213K)

God damnit I REQUIRE N*DE FEET! I like this one. Photoshopa headphone and a witch hat.

stax and anime feet go together like peanut butter and jam

AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Attached: Screenshot_20181031-170731.png (720x1280, 130K)

I just ordered a Sennheiser HD 58X now I still need a good entry level dac, a pcie based one is fine too, I live in Germany and my budget is around 80$/70€. I hope the investment in becoming a audiophile is worth it.

Attached: 02ea6d57bad19403962cfec0bd6915a1.jpg (1024x768, 409K)

>now I need a dac
yikes

Attached: 02ea6d57bad19403962cfec0bd6915a1.jpg (1024x768, 538K)

What're your thoughts on the ATH-SR9 /hpg/? Would you go for them if the asking price was £300 ($380) rather than the standard £440 ($560)?

Attached: sifhyaopods.jpg (474x474, 18K)

No idea about the cable thing, but it looks like a huge pain to mod. You might be better off just using the connectors standard to the ether series, they're the best headphone connectors I've tried and are installed on my MA900 with an XLR cable. Would require a ton of work either way. I know someone out there has modded a lambda to take those connectors so it's definitely possible.

I haven't tried ori pads on the 007, tried the Auteur pads but didn't like them (I like them a lot better on the atticus, they sound like a mix between eikon and ori pads leaning towards the latter). 007 + universe is as good as the L700, if not better to my ears. Wider soundstage, way more comfortable, and makes it a little less dark. SRM-717 provides the needed extra gain to really push the bass up when you feel like it.

Does anyone know if JDS labs runs a black friday sale?

I am sorry user I am new to this, but I know the soundchip on my 120$ gayming motherboard is probably not that great.

long day of listening ahead

Attached: IMG_0018.jpg (1352x1318, 417K)

Who knows and who cares? Buy SCHIIT.

I've asked this before but didn't really get a solid answer. I have the monoprice desktop amp and it currently drives all of my headphones without having to go over 50% on the dial. Would upgrading to a more expensive amp/dac bennefit me at all? Or am I getting into snake oil territory.

Attached: DSC_0280.jpg (1600x960, 188K)

Monoprice, Monoprice, it’s so simple and plain
Monoprice, Monoprice, it’s different but all the same

Would the KZ-ZS10s be a good IEM if I like the bass of the Sony XB50AP but want more pronounced mids-highs?

Did that answer your question user?

just got HE500

for some reason I prefer 400i

did I get memed?

Just wait til they snap on you then you'll really be feelin memed

welcome to hifiman, where the headphones get worse the higher you go!

Attached: top hat.png (600x1078, 485K)

Big help. Thanks

DT880 250ohms or AD900X.

Anything wrong with the ATH-M50x? My friend is willing to sell them to me for like 20 cheaper than amazon price rather than returning them. I prefer over ear if that matters.

My Hifiman HE400i has been pretty meh. Had to replace the earpads twice because the glue they use fails after 9 months. I also had to replace the cable, but it's 3.5 to 2.5mm so that wasn't too hard to find. The drivers, housing and headband have all held up pretty well. I've had them for about 2 years.

pic related, my headphones when the earpads started to fail

Attached: IMAG0185.jpg (3000x4000, 3.13M)

I’m sad I didn’t make the meme list.

Attached: 9816A0D2-0ADF-41B6-9E4A-9A37B74287DE.jpg (546x678, 94K)

They have easily replaceable cords and most of the other parts are still available as well. They are a very durable headphones. My HD650s are old as shit and I was an alcoholic piece of shit for years while owning them. I've dropped them, fallen with them on, pass out on top of them. All I've had to do is replace the cord once and the pads. Frankly they are probably the most durable headphones I've ever owned.

No. You might be able to convince yourself you hear a difference but measurements so it's not so.

Nah good headphones. Very durable, bit bass heavy. HD580s are better for the money but open headphones.

I do want to note that the audio quality is superb and those build quality problems are gone now that I have aftermarket earpads and and aftermarket cable. Still, not sure I would recommend these to others.

I like mine better than HD600, and I got them with aftermarket cable+zmf pads for about the same price.

Thanks, looks like I'll grab them from him then.

I guess they are still cheaper that way, not a bad route to take as long as your expect to replace those bits.

that's because you are an attention whore, iris

Yeah, my 280s are older than dirt and the painted letters have hardly begun to chip off the back of the ears. Sennheiser makes a quality product.

Well I didn't really expect to, it's more that the stock cable was annoying and I found the pads uncomfortable.

That's okay with me because they sound great.

>Budget
Don't worry about it
>Location
US
>Source
Smart Phone or PC
>Type of headphone
Wireless earbuds
>Comfort level
Maximum
>Past headphones
Bose Soundsport, which I enjoyed a lot, but the cord failed on them twice before I decided to just try something new.

Basically I'm looking for comfort, preferably without a huge form factor, and with a decent battery life.

Attached: 1334021586277.png (678x660, 302K)

Is shp9500 off aliexpress still the best option for cheap, easy to drive, open back headphones?

It seems like dac/amps generally only make the sound louder. I can only notice a genuine difference in sound when I try different headphones. Have I just not tried out the right dac yet?

If the only diference was really loudness that means you've not tried out any wrong dacs/amps.

>Have I just not tried out the right dac yet?
we have probably told you repeatedly that dacs don't make a difference to sound. why are you still not listening to us you faggot

High dollar solid state amps and DACs are the ultimate audiophool snake oil. No one can pass blind tests with decent equipment. People can tell the difference with tube gear because it makes the sound objectively colored but some people enjoy that.

DACs are a meme outside of certain use cases.

I use one because my onboard gets really annoying EMI when the GPU is under load. Outside of stuff like that they sound the same.

DACs are good if your speakers' volume knob are placed on the back of the speakers, and you want a more reachable volume knob when using those speakers. They're also used if your headphones need a lot more power than whatever device you're currently using. Other than that they're pretty much just there to look cool.

They usually do

Best closed-back headphones under $500? I like analytical sounding phones but without sacrificing the low end

Thanks for the recommendations kind user, I'll definitely look into those.

Attached: 71352386_p0.jpg (1600x1131, 749K)

Used d5200

whats a good 200 USD ish headphone which is comfy and great mids? im looking to sell my HD 6XXs and get a different pair

hd600

that is basically the same shit as he has now

exactly

so go from nobass mudphone with driver matching and soundstage to nobass mudphone with no matching or soundstage

yes

Whata a good pair in the $500+ range? Want it for 50% music and 50%, gaming

thanks

pad swapped srs-3100

Well you currently have what almost everyone would suggest for a $200 comfortable headphone with great mids. Why do you want to change from them?

>.>
where u getting 3100 for under 500?

>$500+

oh ok

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good OP.

Attached: 1537000074958.png (320x512, 81K)

Idiot

My 660s came in... my god they sound amazing
600s are now in the drawer

fuk u idolchan ;-;

Attached: IMG_20181031_213533.jpg (4640x3480, 2.99M)

Sony NW-A45 with Takstar Pro 82

Why so unhappy? Idols might be able to help.
Have you seen Love Live yet?

Attached: 1538666120282.jpg (2012x2016, 514K)

i tried love live. i ended up getting into guro.

Attached: Folder.jpg (200x200, 59K)

how does it feel to be cucked by 58X

god damnit what is that image.