GNOME fags be like

GNOME fags be like
>Its our way or the highway
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217

Attached: gnome-logo-100468870-large.jpg (580x388, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GTK+#Hide_CSD_buttons
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-Protocols-1.15
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If only Red Hat had been smart enough to bar entry to every single problem glasses warning color hair UI designer. I hope IBM gives them all boot and no recommendations.

.wtf where they thinking with this shit
Compiz era was much better that this garbage Gnome is pushing now days

Attached: 2018-11-01-05:27:25_1164x723_scrot.png (1164x723, 299K)

Shut up, idiot. CSD allows more freedom to app devs. Title-bars are a think from the 90's. If you like consistency just use system theme. CSD has nothing to do with it.

>be like
You're new to the English language, I see.

Based and redpilled

Header bars are the correct way to design windowed GUI applications. People have been doing it wrong all this time. All I see in that thread is people bitching about
>muh games
If all you need is a dumb framebuffer then windowed is pointless, your program should run fullscreen.

On a side note what's with all the anti-gnome shilling? Are microsoft astroturfers really getting this desperate?

Attached: 1514007758563.png (1024x768, 30K)

>CSD allows more freedom to app devs.
wut?
how low IQ are you? this must be bait

huh I speak 3 different languages + english, so no I'm not a native english speaker

t. never developed a GTK3 app

>Header bars are the correct way to design windowed GUI applications
This

why would i? its trash anyways

It shows. Saying "X be like" makes no sense. It should be "X is like".

>this thing i have never used and know nothing about is trash
never change user

What are you, a fucking retard? CSD lets you save space, pack dockable title and options, allow animations, allow arbitrary number of pictures/icons, basically allow any widgets if you feel like it.
Come back when the generic cookie-cutter waste of space legacy titlebar can do anything of the sort

Wew, look at all this foot nigger damage control ITT. I hope IBM fires the lot of you and replaces you with the people that designed OS/2 Warp's look and feel.

Ironically, Warp had CSDs.
Too bad Jow Forums is not intelligent enough to make a solid argument against CSD.

X is not an object or a single individual here though, it's an organisation of individuals user

That doesn't mean using "be" is correct. It should be, in this case, "GNOME is like", not "GNOME be like". For your organisation of individuals use "are".

The argument is really simple: thousands of applications assume SSD is available so don't be a nigger and take it away. Sway is less than a dozen angry weeaboos working in their spare time and they made it work. If GNOME can't add this fundamental feature to Mutter then they're either incompetent, malicious, or both.

This is why Windows will always be better than Linux.
Suck my dick, freefags.

oh okay t-thanks for enlightening me sensei :)

Attached: Hello-Truck-Funny-Picture.jpg (2048x1536, 474K)

>thousands of applications assume SSD is available s
If they are porting to Wayland, all they have to do is add a couple of lines and that's it.
Why should GNOME care about them?

Because of one desktop environment? Wangtards are fucking retarded.

If you don't like it you can always fork it and make things how you want them

Windows is better because it's stuck in pre-80s
You sure showed them, didn't you.

Oh really? GNOME is the preferred desktop toolkit like the thread says, and it can't even support something windows has had for ages.
So take my dick and suck on it.

Attached: 1406290949067.jpg (320x241, 30K)

There are thousands of DE/WMs. You don't have to use GNOME.

It has become the face of GNU/Linux, a really bad one in disguise
found the GNOME fag

>GNOME is a desktop toolkit
Why bother talking about something you have absolutely 0 clue about?

>It has become the face of GNU/Linux
There is no face of GNU/Linux.

this is why KDE is superior

>just add a couple of lines XD
Blow it out your ass.

SDL does not want to do this. Qt does not want to so this and only creates minimal CSD for debugging purposes. Tk does not want to do this. XWayland windows can not do this. This is GNOME being GNIGGERS again and trying to institute their foot cheese design imperatives on an ecosystem that is rapidly pivoting away from their stack. If Gtk were considered at all a viable platform you wouldn't have a multiple year trend of projects migrating away from it or LxQt existing at all. This wildly unwarranted arrogance and doubling down on bad decisions will lead to either the death of GNOME/Gtk or the death of Linux/*BSD as a viable desktop platform.

>SDL does not want to do this.
GLFW fallsback to an imitation of titlebar, so can SDL. And if you are writing a non-fullscreen desktop app in pure SDL you have much bigger concerns than that, SDL apps don't support appIDs.

>Tk
Deprecated

>Qt
Imitates title bar,

The very wayland protocol WANTS the window compositor handle titles, I don't see anything wrong GNOME sticking to the specifications. Why should GNOME give a shit if LxQt doesn't follow wayland spec and pretend to be compatible with it?

Can you source your claim of projects migrating away from gtk? I hate Gnome, so I'd like to see a list of projects abandoning it.

tl;dr

Remember the useless titlebar in firefox until recently? OP wants to keep them in the wayland sessions.

why always someone complains about gnome is some retarded shit nobody cares?
what the fuck, I don't get what is everyone talking about. I can tile windows and move them through wokspaces and shit what the fuck do I care about those gimmicks?

user be like mad

It's correct to use "be" for a group of Bible.
Source: KJV Bible
>And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me.
>These are unclean to you among all that creep: whosoever doth touch them, when they be dead, shall be unclean until the even.
and so on, and so on

fug, group of people

That's a translation from the 17th century, and an inaccurate one at that. Why would you use early modern English as a basis for the language you speak only in this instance?

reminder that mutter(?} in gnome wayland makes mpv lag

>I'm too stupid to understand the problem so its not a real problem

>Why would you use early modern English as a basis for the language you speak only in this instance?
Why wouldst not thou?

>muh games
what? ppl run gaymes in GNOME instead of another tty with i3 ? enjoy your decreased fps

Because I'm not a retard who uses bad translations of the Bible.

>I speak 3 different languages + english
poorly

Gnome on wayland is generally slower than X

every day GNOME continues to shoot itself in the FOOT
using KDE these days, never looking back

inaccurate does not mean gramatically incorrect

I never said it did.

>REEEEEEEE
>GNOME WASTES MUH PIXZELZ

* insert CSD *

>REEEEEEEE
>WHY WON'T GNOME WASTE MUH PIXZELZ

CSD wastes more pixels than old menu and title bar.

>organisation
> individuals
heh

he was making a nigger joke retard
im esl and got it

>im esl and got it
Because you're a nigger, I guess. I don't know any niggers so I wouldn't understand their babble.

not really, there aren't many applications where it matters and for those that it does there is F11

Gnome still wastes muh pixels in multiple ways, if you don't want your pixels wasted use a twm or a pure KDE/qt system with actually functional menus on the panel

but you know how it feels to have a nigger smarter than you :^)

But headerbar/CSD use less pixel than titlebar+menubar+toolbar

If you've hidden a menubar under hamburger button, it wastes even more space when button is pressed.

You are another fucking retard. CSD is a well known mechanism to save pixels because it obviates a separate horizontal bar for app menus.

>dropdown menu wastes pixels
Dumb faggot kys

How does it make you smarter to know what niggers babble about?

>CSD is a well known mechanism to save pixels because it obviates a separate horizontal bar for app menus.
No they don't. With SSDs I can just have my WM hide decorations because I've bound every action on it to a keyboard shortcut. With CSD I'll have to keep seeing the waste of space that are the "close", "minimize" and "fullscreen" buttons because they'll be embeded within the application and there'll be no way to hide them.

>No they don't. With SSDs I can just have my WM hide decorations because I've bound every action on it to a keyboard shortcut.
You can hide a headerbar with CSD too, retard.
Also, you can hide the close/min/max button too in headerbar, I don' t know what for but it's literally a one liner.
>embedded within app
lmao what? If your application has no option/shortcut to hide a titlebar then you are not using the app they way the developer wants you to. Quit screeching.

Also, the wayland protocol has no idea of standard titlebar. Everything, including window titling is offloaded to individual applications. GNOME is making the right decision conforming to the actual protocol.

There be shitposters and they have no respect unto thee; thou hidest them.

>knows what niggers bable about
>knows what non-niggers bable about
>you don't know what niggers bable about
>you know what non-niggers bable about
:^)

your example is flawed because the csd has buttons

>Also, you can hide the close/min/max button too in headerbar, I don' t know what for but it's literally a one liner.
But it's on a per-application basis. You'll have to do it for every client.

>you are not using the app they way the developer wants you to
I wish faggots like you went back to OSX. The reason devs use linux is because you can use everything the way you want. That's why emacs is popular. That's why vim is popular. That's why firefox became popular.

>the wayland protocol has no idea of standard titlebar
That's what the SSD protocol is for, you dummy.

and your problem is not the csd but your inability to read
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GTK+#Hide_CSD_buttons

I'm so happy IBM bought RedHat, I hope they fire all the redhat idiots in that thread defending CSD.

lmao, we all know that, in the end, there is no way this garbage is going to succeed. Just look at this road-map.

Linux is clusterfuck of patches and shitty hacks thrown together with zero fucks to quality control and good design. The desktop side is one of most clear examples of this.

Enjoy your inconsistent looking applications for another decade Lunix plebs.

Attached: Screenshot_20181101_013719.png (671x973, 115K)

Do you mean Babel?

>You'll have to do it for every client.
No, the dev has to, which should not be your business. For example, if MPV was using CSD, you would not have to make the window manager __hide__ the titlebar, it would just not allocate anything for the header bar itself. No shitty hacks no workaround.
See Deepin's mpv fork, they've done it right, with CSD.

>The reason devs use linux is because you can use everything the way you want. That's why emacs is popular. That's why vim is popular. That's why firefox became popular.
That has nothing to do with it. CSD allows the same customization as SSD. Blame the lazy developers or the authors that DON'T want to hack certain parts of the UI.

>SSD protocol
Give me a link. Wayland protocol has no concept of SSD. Because every bit of work (almost) is offloaded to the window compositor

If you happen to be a wincuck, you should not use the word "consistency" to describe your UI.
Furthermore, thanks to gtk's CSS, an app with a headerbar can imitate the look of a titlebar with no problem whatsoever.
Also as I said before, why talk about shit that you have absolutely zero clue about? Fuck off.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-01 17-42-54.png (3840x2160, 621K)

>also knows how to suck sand nigger dick

LXDE (now LxQt), Audacious, Libreoffice, the entire embedded-webkit/blink browser category... it's not a trivial thing.

Don't misquote me, please. You can highlight what you want to quote when you reply.

if FF goes Qt GNOME is kill

LibreOffice always and still use VCL

>No, the dev has to, which should not be your business
This is absurd. You're asking for one hour of work out of everybody who ever makes an application vs one hour of work from the devs who implement a compositor. You're asking for a lot of wasted effort.

>Give me a link
First link on $searchengine: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-Protocols-1.15

It used Gtk at least in part. Now there's a Qt backend used for the Haiku port.

Firefox is using CSD to save vertical space

It still supports SSD and can be toggled at runtime. Disabling CSD actually ends up saving more screen space on a tiler.

it's optional and i don't use it in gnome

also you could always press F11

>add an option
>connect event: if clicked:
>setTitleBar(null)
>one hour work

>guys just implement csd
>btw we gonna break all compatibility every other year
>what can go wrong

Red Hat was the one who ported FF to GTK, it's never gonna happen.

I know that Gtk is used for menubar and popup menu
What qt backend are you talking about? VCL always have qt plugin since forever

You have to modify your parser. You have to add tests to your parser. You have to make sure every piece of code that touched the title bar doesn't break. You have to add tests for that. You have to maintain it forever.

It's actually way more than an hour and it's really just easier to not write the code and have someone else handle it. It also wastes way less effort.

>You have to modify your parser.
Huh? That's been automated ages ago. This is not gtk1.2 anymore

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-01 18-12-02.png (3817x580, 206K)

>issue closed for months
>sudden influx of activity
>these people clearly have no idea what they're talking about
Was this posted on leddit?

>Not configuring your software with text files and saving said text files in a git repo
What are you even doing here

Attached: no_decorations.png (1327x59, 11K)

>You're asking for one hour of work out of everybody who ever makes an application vs one hour of work from the devs who implement a compositor.
amazing

Attached: Jesse Lee Peterson EUc-mocBYFw.jpg (427x240, 34K)

tar cvf is simpler

>git
I bet you use systemd too

Nah, git is simpler. Modifying, merging, publishing, rolling back modifications, git was made for this. Tar is just for archiving.

I really hope you're a mercurialfag because if you're an SVN one you're needlessly suffering.

wtf I thought Redhat's acquisition was going to extinguish Gnome?