Being in software is also about interacting with other people...

Being in software is also about interacting with other people. Here's an exercise: you manage a team and you got multiple complaints about a particular team member who kinda smells due to sweat. You don't know the cause. How do you approach this problem?
Actual situation I got during a training session.

Attached: soylentpour1.jpg (300x238, 33K)

Passive aggressively threaten to lick their armpits if they don't start showering

Sniff a few times next to him.
Oh yesss quite pungent my dear

Leave a bouquet of roses on his desk so he gets the hint he needs to smell better

Pull the person aside in private and advise them that their odour is affecting other co-workers.
Offer to get them some deodorant as a gesture of goodwill.

If the situation persists you may need to give them a warning or disciplinary.

Put out an email/chat message to the whole team saying there's been a smell issue recently and that everyone should make sure they have a good shower every morning.
Don't single the guy out

better yet CC the entire company

Tell pajeet to wipe his ass after shitting on the street

pajeet will use hand

Assign the rest of the team to diversity training to learn tolerance toward multicultural aromas

This is the correct answer.
Diversity is always the solution.

Tell him/her that we live in a society

thats even worse

approach the team member
politely ask them to work on their hygiene

gift him a bottle of perfume on his birthday

1 on 1tell him about it politely

>Here's an exercise: you manage a team
I kill myself

Tell him to grow the fuck up and take a shower. If he gets offended I would tell him to pack his stuff.

It really depends on team dynamic.
>a good team
Just tell the guy to use deodorant
>an average situation
Most likely because they didn't just talk to the guy directly. Do what that user said and send out an email that there's been reports of poor hygiene, and that the work environment is supposed to be professional that while you know most people are perfectly proper, it seems there are still complaints so please make sure your hygiene is adequate and deodorant is applied etc.

If the situation persists then quietly tell the guy individually.

I'be been on at least 60% meal replacements for weeks now. Not onions but plenny shake.

When I was doing my computing tech course, the head of placements had to deal with the exact same situation. Manager phoned her up and basically said "your student stinks", then got her to have the awkward conversation with him.

Ah I see you've hired an Indian

If he's white I tell him to take a shower. If he's a diversity hire I ignore it.

I'd actually fire him unless he's important for the team. If he is, well, just mention company's standards in regard of clothing and hygiene during next 1on1 session.

submit a issue on our repo
TODO: fix code smell

lowkey insulting the entire team to maybe offend the one affected guy a little bit less than a direct talk would?
Is this the power of the tolerance and diversity?

this guy

> mfw I was that guy

My sweat has a strong odor, and I was a fucking fatass after uni.
My boss just talked to me in private and advice me on the subject, not in a threatening way, and I just spend half an hour each day to take care of the issue.
It still was awkward as hell tho.

Here's the thing too. If he is poor even telling him to take a shower is 'offensive' if he can't afford showers.

On these google salaries even pajeets like you can get fat?

we live in a society

lmao bottom text

People who know they have basic hygiene will know it's not aimed at them. If they seriously get offended it's entirely their problem.

Not necessary. You're assuming that the team will become offended because of this. In reality, the members of the team will either ignore the issue if it doesn't apply to them or they will keep it in the back of their mind. Do you remember those notices you used to get from school about lice? Were you offended when they informed the students that lice are a thing and that you should keep your head clean? I hope not. Assuming the team will be offended is illogical.

The only thing I would add to this is to send the email AFTER hours. If you send it in the morning, people who stink will feel pressure for the rest of the day. If you send the email after hours, those who stink can freshen up the next day and the problem will be solved. One solution causes stress and fixes the issue while the other one fixes the issue directly. (This is assuming the person who smells cares about the issue and will take it to heart. If not, then he will feel the pressure and then freshen up the next day which still is an overall reduction in stress)

who reads work emails after hours?

People who have push notifications on their phones?

who has phones?

>work in an office
>people sweating that much during a typical day
Stop being cheap and use the AC, your only real overhead is labor.
All this extreme profit chasing is bringing us back to the 1800s factory mentality.

Don't keep it cold enough to not sweat. Don't get payed enough take showers.

You people have absolutely 0 reading comprehension skills. I'm actually not surprised, since this board is filled with legal retards. What if the person showers every day but has a medical condition? What then?

find them a solitary place to stink up at work

Fired because we don't want to pay for the healthcare premium

blast him with piss.

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but oh yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF

Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

Tell them they smell like a farmyard and force them to take a bath in front of the whole office while using a brush to scrum them.

people who have a job that requires them not to stink

add a task to the public kanban board titled "take a shower" and visibly assign it to the offending piglet

Pajeets sweat like crazy, all that spicy curry has to go somewhere.

Tell them to go to the doctor, or find a separate closet they can stink up somewhere.

Pic related happened to first years at my uni

Attached: IMG_20181101_163339.jpg (540x462, 37K)

He must be put to death. I'll take care to execute him/her personally.

This or being a cuck, no other way

>invite him some drinks
>tell him the situation while drinking
or
>pull him aside
>explain to him the situation and make him aware that if the problem persists there can be consequences

Spic, so close enough.

It wasnt the higiene, I bath every day, but the odor and being a lardass worked against me. It wasnt something taken out a nightmare either, it was just that a female coworker (boss lover) wanted to keep appearances, and hated the programmer stereotype of the fat nerd dude (me).

It motivated me to loose weight and take more care about my image, so I consider it a good experience.

what if the coworker has crooked and ugly teeth and is afraid of doctors since early childhood

Tell some other of the coworkers to become even smellier to make smelly person comment on it, and then realize that he should do the same.

This is the only correct solution.

Petrol + styrofoam + flamenwurfer

>half an hour each day to take care of the issue.
bathing?

The most common course of action is sending an email to everyone on the team and hoping they get the message. Otherwise, you really have no choice but to make things a bit awkward and try and assess what they are doing wrong.

Taking a huge shit on their desk overnight.

When they complain, point out it smells better than they do.

Then promptly set the poo on fire.

>and I just spend half an hour each day to take care of the issue.

showering is normal human behaviour. nothing to write home about

Just tell him you smell like shit

What the fuck? This is middle school shit.

I received the same email from a lab I was working in where some indian smelled awful

That would be the course of action for more than say 5 people who smell like shit. Less than that, the definitely better way is to just talk to them privately and given them the heads up on that. The most important thing is to NOT CREATE OFFICE DRAMA, there's already enough of it as it is.

What the fuck? Just talk to that indian dude privately and tell him to clean up (he he) his act.

I've never heard of any email like this anywhere around here in Europe, perhaps that's a burger thing?

Have an unrelated one on one and bring it up as a coincidental thing like sniff sniff, wholly shit man is that your b.o. do you have a medical issue or something?

Most people are insecure and will assume it's them

This

Especially if it's a girl (male)

fire him for being a pig, and fire everyone else for being snakes.

If someone stinks let them know, who the fuck complains to their manager about petty shit like that?

You have no idea how petty people can be.

create a JIRA ticket about the issue and assign it to him

speak for yourself faggot

Okay this is epic

>smell test
lmao

>tfw it's penis inspection day

Does anyone know why Indians think that fasting involves also neglecting personal hygiene?

Announce mandatory penis inspection day. The problem will sort itself out

Not programing related but the guy at the cornerstore used to smell fucking awful, one day while drinking he was making fun of me and I went "lol at least I don't smell like ass everyday of my life" we all had a huge laugh then he told us that he had no sense of smell, still he started using deodorant everyday after that point and we never tease him about that again.