Steam as cross-distro GNU/Linux packaging solution

Hey Jow Forumsuys and Jow Forumsirls,

I just had a genius revelation.
People including Linus Torvalds like to complain all the time about how there's no true cross-distro packaging solution for GNU/Linux, as things like flatpack and snappy all have major flaws and are woefully unsupported on a number of distros.

Then I realized, Steam already is supported on almost every distro because of gamers, and can even run Windows software now through Proton, so it's even cross platform with Windows, with virtually no overhead for developers.

So instead of looking to some other obscure solution, we can move to what's been under our noses the whole time. I recommend that developers release new software through steam, so that people can get it extremely easily. (In addition, of course, distros will still have repositories for the convenience that brings. This will only be an *additional* resource for cross-platform package management.)

And freetards, before you say
> b-but DRM~
I think(?) the Steam client is free software, or at least open source... but if you're only installing free software through it, it's kind of like using debian without the non-free repo, which is arguably ethical.

Cheers,
user

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (854x480, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/issues/472
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#comparison
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cheers

Cheers,
Retard

dumb post

cheers!!

Let's have some intelligent discussion here. I'm just trying to express my ideas in the clearest way I can.

Attached: Scowling_Ram_with_Subaru_and_Rem.jpg (480x270, 48K)

>I think(?) the Steam client is free software, or at least open source
It's not.
/thread

dude, what if we like, used the internet for sending mail

this could be revolutionary, just remember to name it after me

H-How could I have made such a mistake... My new plan is to convince Valve to release Steam under the GPL.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (632x422, 45K)

It's closed source DRM and tracks user behaviour.

>My new plan is to convince Valve to release Steam under the GPL.
Now THAT would be pretty nice.

I think they had some publicly announced reason why it isn't. It would probably be easier to try to make every Linux distro to use the same software center from one of the existing ones.

>I think a DRM botnet is open source.

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

Sorry OP, Jow Forums wants Linux to stay exactly as shitty and unsupported as it currently is for the rest of time for the sake of retaining obscurity and being needlessly difficult compared to mainstream operating systems. There is no point in trying to innovate on this board, want proof? When Jow Forums decided to make CloverOS, they made something completely gay and pointless. Another Linux distro that brings NOTHING worthwhile to the table, literally not one fucking reason to use that piece of shit. This board is festering weeb filth that has no real talent, Linux can watch anime and post on Jow Forums and that is all Linux users do, they read the word "steam" and get so violently upset that a collective trickle of piss runs down their programming socks. Ideas like this simply aren't gonna do any good here, just remember it isn't your fault. You aren't the faggot here, it's just this backwards little board.

>things like flatpack and snappy all have major flaws and are woefully unsupported on a number of distros
Appimage works quite fine in most cases and doesn't try to usurp people's favourite package managers or require some always networked botnet or such.

Package your software with that.

BTW, Steam's mode of distributing executable software isn't actually fancier than downloadable appimages and the optional github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate

Either of these basically creates self-contained applications that don't depend on much that exists elsewhere on the system.

Appimage doesn't work on NixOS I'm afraid

Attached: 1538169589725.gif (192x108, 1012K)

I don't have NixOS, but second to last comment here says it works, for at least "atom, azpainter, arduino-ide":
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/issues/472

Maybe I spoke too soon... I'll try some appimages when I get home.

Attached: 1537834254172.jpg (1024x1018, 78K)

>they read the word "steam" and get so violently upset
Because it's proprietary. The PRIMARY reason for why we like GNU/Linux is because it protects user privacy. Having all package management go through (((Steam))) destroys that advantage.
That said, if OP keeps to his word and GPLs Steam (unlikely), then maybe you'd have a point.

PS: If there are bugs, of course it would be nice if NixOS and AppImage addressed them somehow.

Either way, AppImage is the thing I'd suggest you support first if you support anything apart from the package managers you want to support. It's unintrusive, works well across distros (surely can be made work virtually everywhere), and really is neutral between distros overall.

Surely, it doesn't solve ALL issues ever, but it's unlikely to fuck up more than it solves or be a pain to build packages for.

This. Appimage is great. Easy for both users and developers, and just gives you the executable instead of needing a bunch of garbage.
I admit I don't know much about snaps but Flatpak at least can fuck right off.

>I admit I don't know much about snaps but Flatpak at least can fuck right off.
I don't think you want snaps either. It's obviously a biased source, but look at:
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#comparison

Particularly the bits under "Application Installation / Execution" will bother most people, I think.

>I use the term open source rather than free

Attached: 1537239031246.jpg (490x586, 18K)

Every. Single. Time.

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

Me when I create a new blockchain

Having multiple universal standards is still better than having none and relying on vendor lock-ins.

kek true. People who use linux and aren't retarded sper/g/s have a job as sysadmin or developer. They already are familiar with linux so they don't bother with mac or windows on their laptops where they watch anime and shit. Literally one of the most used distros on the work is Red Hat and people here nobody uses Fedora or Centos or the Red Hat non-cost subscription; given they are the most well hardware supported linux distributions. They just want to use shit that purposely doesn't work to lose time fixing it. I mean it feels good to fix something, buy a broken car and fix it and rice it, that's a sane hobby. Doing the same with a computer is also okay, but thay hobbyist approach to something that can be a replacement to a very useful and hassle free operative system is stupid, you can always strip it down and yet you don't want people to put a useful front end to it?? Like it would be okay if photoshop, microsoft and shit started compiling for linux, it's still a fucking option if you want to use it, no one can force it down your throat. Also as Linux gets bigger, those proprietary software companies may start to think to make it open themselves, then you would have a very powerful software that also is botnet free.

Come to think of it.

Gamers literally fund the technology development hardware and software. i remember when playstation boards are used on airforce for imaging shit

Not required anymore, steam is now available as flatpaks in flathub

Yes, goy, that's a great idea!
Turn to the proprietary side to alleviate your woes, oy vey...

Of course Mr. Eee Maille

>The PRIMARY reason for why we like GNU/Linux is because it protects user privacy.
Speak for yourself. There's no "PRIMARY" reason I like Linux. I like it for several reasons whose relative importance would be a metaphysical debate not worth having, including but not limited to:
- It's a more logical OS
- It, at best, encourages (or, at worst, forces) a deeper understanding of the computer and what you're doing as you use it, which you'll find inherent value in if you're a remotely technical person with an IQ over 90
- It empowers you to do so many things other OSes lock you out of for their own peace of mind
- It has an ethical telos -- to be useful to and mutable by the user and transparent, where other OSes are useful on their own terms and protect their makers' profit above all
- It's geared toward the technical and has a community of smart, similarly ethical users who can also directly contribute to it for their and everyone else's benefit
- It's open
- Programming's easier
- It protects privacy
- It's free
(And these last three points arise out of a mix of the points above them.)

Attached: Fallout Vault Pip Boy Glasses Four Eyes.png (103x148, 5K)

That is quite literally the worst idea I've heard during this decade. Please kill yourself immediately.

Open source and free software aren't the same thing, user.

>we
lurk more

And what's the mitigation story if there's a vulnerability found in a library that every application ships a separate copy of?

>shitty
And it's the most advanced kernel out there. It tells a lot about the kernel ecosystem as a whole
>unsupported
Keked, you're happy to have linux when you want to use your 20 yo computer or this weird raid card that work only with solaris but somehow have a linux compatibility layer.
Heck linux already have cannonlake and icelake support, you could literally broke into intel fab, steal their processors with appropriate motherboard and you would be able to use it without any problem. They will be release in late 2019.
Linux lack of driver is a meme and it's time for it to die.
>obscurity and being needlessly difficult compared to mainstream operating systems
>I'm afraid when mommy let go of my hand and tell me I'm free to do what I want because I'm not trained to think by myself
It's the whole point of linux, choice. If you emotionally can't deal with it, stay with macOS or windows.
>This board is festering weeb filth that has no real talent
anime website, wtf are you doing here?
>they read the word "steam" and get so violently upset that a collective trickle of piss runs down their programming socks.
You're mistaking the people who chose linux for ideology and the ones who chose it for the technical parts.
steam is not floss, what reaction did you expect from a board filled with floss supporters?
Go to Mecca and start shooting your hatred of muslims (just an example, not targetting you), see what happens.
>Ideas like this simply aren't gonna do any good here, just remember it isn't your fault.
Don't talk big if you don't have anything to back it.
This is basic education but somehow it does not apply in tech. You can shit on the ones with knowledge and praise the clueless shillers, it's normal and acceptable.
>it's just this backwards little board
because you don't understand something does not make it backward.
OP idea is technical, ideology and financially retarded, nothing more.

The steam client is not free software. The client is proprietary

Fuck that retard up, goddamn!

Neat copy pasta

Attached: 1540863994000.jpg (525x525, 25K)

Back to Jow Forums, dumb nigger,

The theory is sound, though don't use steam itself, but instead have a platform agnostic "app store", or honestly just have a shiny nice thing that installs flatpaks or whatever for you.

>gayman

Attached: gnpc7.jpg (720x480, 78K)

I'll make the logo.

I would honestly be okay with this. It would be much easier to keep track of software that I've purchased or donated to.
The client would need a lot of improvements though (or maybe even a second client for software packages) that allows access without an account.

I'm no expert on linux but is there any reason why this would not work besides it being closed source? i know blender is already on steam

Attached: 1540931472041.gif (296x292, 11K)