How do you pronounce GNU??

how do you pronounce GNU??

Attached: gnu-head.png (276x261, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/pronunciation.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Genoo
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

guh new

like g'day but g'new

a silent G like in lasagna

"new"

Like grew

G New

DUH-jent

Gee Ehn You

With a hard G, like GNOME.

linuck

Do you know what the acronym part of "recursive acronym" means? Dumb fuck.

fuck you, nigger

Ñu

Eat shit, you dumb faggot.

GHANUU

g'nu as in nu-male

I’m not a gWindows, I’m not a gMacOS, I’m a GNU... and you’ve been GNU’d!

OS minus Linux

Understated

shit

>tfw having fun on internet misreading gnu
>talking to friends in real life
>GAH-NOO SLASH LEE-NUH-CKS
>no one gets it
>why am i like this
>they rarely say guh nuw
>they just say linux
>they mean ubuntu

Attached: 1541083466197.jpg (1080x1920, 534K)

a couple weeks ago in one of my software engineering clases, some guy not only pronounced gnu as gee ehn you, but he also pronounced linus as linn iss

What’s linus?

Linus Torvalds. Host of Linus Tech Tips and wrote Git, among other things.

at least they know about FOSS.
When I say linux to my friend they think I'm talking about some kind of drugs

'jnu'

If someone used the term "open source" around me I would beat the fuck out of them. Suckers have to know.

GANOO SLASH LINOOKS

why does tech have so many retarded way to say stuff
I cringe at
"gah noo"
"gooey"
"gah nome"
and etc

Rhymes with "poo"

Hackers of software are also hackers of language.

wrong
right
right but in a gayer way

>silent g in lasagna

U wot m8?

Do you not know what a hard G is, you fat faggot?

Ñu, vato

how do you pronounce gif

gn = ñ
lasaña

Гнy eбaть

I hope this is a retard bait. We should call it GNU/Linux because something like 15% of the code in a Linux system is made by GNU?

Would you call it Busybox/Linux if you are using Alpine? No because it's fucking retarded.

To people actually say the last one

Linux is less than 4%.

This desu

Linux works fine without GNU, why don't they just finish their kernel and call it GNU/Hurd?

>Would you call it Busybox/Linux if you are using Alpine?
No, because in either case I'm merely referring to a Linux-based OS, which is why I call it Linux. It's the one common component

That already exists. Why isn't Linux finished yet? They still seem to update it.

By finish he meant get it to a functional state. Does Hurd even have audio support yet?

Why do you need audio?

To make sound with my computer. You know, music, voice, notifications, etc.

guh - nu

PC speakers exist.

g'n'oo, but i guess thats too hard for americans

Like the spics, ñú.

Gahhhhnooğğğuuuu

gnaa

> Ñu
Stallman actually okay'd that one.

No shit, and your kernel needs audio support to utilize them

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 15.01.17.png (308x126, 19K)

Based spicposters.

Yeah that wasn't meant for you

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Systemd/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning system made useful by the Systemd suite, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of Systemd every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Systemd which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically Systemd, developed by the Lennart Poettering.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with Systemd suite: the whole system is basically Systemd with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Systemd/Linux

No, let the BIOS handle it.

But what if I pronounce GNOME like G-GNOME

Attached: 1540983524253.png (112x112, 15K)

Stop baiting faggot. Nobody is ever gonna use garbage Hurd

Eat a bullet.

JEE EN YOU

That's such a retarded insult. Just say kys next time

I'm not a mutt.

no

gnu.org/gnu/pronunciation.en.html
/thread

>gahnoo
do you also call IBM "eebem"

IBM is an initialism, GNU is an acronym.

jee in you

Exactly like the animal

isn't the condition for "acronym" that it has to constitute a word by itself? GNU doesn't look much like a pronounceable word in the english language, maybe in spanish if you change GN with a Ñ, then you get pic which is also the logo/mascot

Attached: 1522109322360.jpg (700x466, 73K)

It's a word. It is the Anglicised form of some African name for the wildebeest.

the fuck

ñu

Attached: gnuisnotunix.jpg (391x500, 102K)

why the fuck would i be bothered with that? why didn't the fat fack make whole os by himseld like steve jobs and bill gates did instead of taking credit for other peoples work??? i will never call it gnu/linux. its just LINUX you communist fat fack

Attached: iz6gawpj6fx01.jpg (640x424, 29K)

гaнyy/линyх eптa

>communist
>wants you to be free

Attached: brainlet.jpg (947x1024, 111K)

/'lJ.nəks/

yes
can confirm, i'm italian

there is no "Ñ" in italian...

it's pronounced "les-zag-nuh"

zitto frocio

It's pronounced "Linux". With silent G, LIN right before NU and and a final X.

Gahnoo

GeNiUs

Gnoooo like awoooo!

ghanew

people who say Gee En You are cia niggers

It's pronounced GNU

>gee-nome
if you say GNOME like genome you are wrong. the GN in GNOME is pronounced like the GN in GNU