Is mini-itx a meme?

Is mini-itx a meme?

Attached: big_teaser_mini-itxbuild.png (550x431, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zotac.com/cz/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2070-mini
smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/categories/motherboards.5/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dzRY3LLsXcDX5Qt5PvQOrAJhw0EK9Cy7UtQPdyRp6PY/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's great if you're tight on space and want something upgradable and powerful.

yes but it's a cute one

It takes more space cuz its broader. Vertical space is plenty.

>mini itx
no
>that case
yes

>Is mini-itx a meme?
Yes. People buy such tiny boxes, only to put them beside gigantic monitors.

Its not a meme, its great.

exactly, mini-itx is for pro's only, retards will go for water cooling and RBG dance shit in big tower cases.

>pro
Literally pays more for less of everything.

i went mitx but then i decided i wanted more storage then it became a problem

basically i still have those two ssds, plus one more still in its packaging plus one more hdd

Attached: KIMG0104v`.jpg (2816x1224, 1.46M)

explain?

Big m-ATX is the best

change the order of those drives and you put those two ssd at the top outside the specified space glued with double side tape, one at the top of the case an the other just at the begging the enclosure

this is Jow Forums so you have to try it our right now and entertain us if you fail to do so you are a massive faggot that has to die

Yes, is fun for a while then you realise you paid more for less, it is a pain in the ass to work on/ maintain and you have shitty upgrade and expandibility options when you get bored of it or your needs change. I still have an N-CASE M1 build but I just built a new ryzen machine in a standard ATX case and it's much more comfy.

cool for going to lan parties with, mini-itx pc and monitor fits easily into my luggage comapred to a normal size.

>you can't use a small PC with a huge monitor
huh, TIL.

The point is, the tiny case is supposed to be easily carried around. No convenience in lugging a huge panel with it.
Why would you need a tiny case, if you wouldn't take it anywhere?

That's not why I like tinier cases

>itx
no
>itx cases that cost more than 50 usd
yes

based on supply/demand, mini itx cases cost more because they're a niche market

>The point is, the tiny case is supposed to be easily carried around.
No you fucking idiot

I use a tiny case to compensate for my huge c*ck

Planning mitx for my next build which I will thunderbolt to another room on a shelf and not have to worry about noise.

Not a meme. More expensive though.

I had a mITX build for awhile. It was really convenient since it was so small and portable. Only hassle was needing high capacity hard drives since you only get a few 3.5 bays if any.

It takes a commitment though, once you get the hardware, you're digging yourself into a hole that not many people are familiar with.

or build a normal computer remote it through lan

>gaymes
you can stream 1080p 60hz without a problem

no

Attached: 20160701_122249.jpg (1224x918, 570K)

Being a meme does not make it bad
If anything it's too little of a meme

so i want my next build to be a mini fridge.

this is one of the few cases with power supply in the front, which I like. the only problem is I'd have to remove PSU bracket to fit a fullsize GPU in, which is a big and shitty design flaw.

i hear Core 500 fixed it but it's ugly and has no front intake. what are my options besides getting this and cutting out the PSU bracket? I don't need optical drives or many internal drives. I want it to be air cooled. I want it to be smaller than mATX, which isn't always the case with ITX.

Attached: 9200000020656909.jpg (550x580, 18K)

No, multiple x16 format expansion slots are a meme.

I bought a reduced ATX when i got my case.
If i had gone for mini, i could have packed the PC in a suitcase without using 80% of the space.
That said, there is a lot of horrid Mini ITX cabinets. Just like how there is a lot of horrid extended ATX towers.

>The point is, the tiny case is supposed to be easily carried around. No convenience in lugging a huge panel with it.
Have you considered that
a) it's still easier to carry a small PC and a huge display than a huge PC and a huge display
b) they may take a different, smaller monitor with them when they're on the go (like their old monitor, so it's literally free)
c) the entire premise of your argument is retarded because some people just buy small PCs for aesthetics and such

i dunno. I feel like I have more fun building in a smaller space

next build would probably just be an matx just for more hard drives and stuff though

I have a laptop for non-gaymen shit.The desktop is all about gaymen.

>The point is, the tiny case is supposed to be easily carried around.

Attached: 1538424067606.jpg (550x550, 51K)

Why so many HDDs in a mITX build?
Set up a NAS instead.

This

the cramped wiring in mini itx is disgusting

pic related

Why not both?

With USB 3.1 that's a non-issue, just buy an external rack.

"Things are hard" is not a counterargument, it's just a damning indictment of your capabilities.

Attached: screenshot_429.png (713x763, 121K)

I use this exact case with a lower power a10 chip to run an unraid server. Does all my torrents and raid needs so I don't need to leave my desktop on and is a good source to backup to. For an actual desktop using a mid size tower is much easier to deal with and cool.

Not really.
You can stick anything from an x1 to an x16 card in them.
The only meme is having multiple x16 slots when you don't have enough PCI-e lanes to service them all at full width.

The fact it's 'hard' is not the problem, it's that if you have a regular life that places other demands on your time, you have better things to be getting on with than modelling up autist-tier meme builds or spend hours disassembling and rebuilding your mini-3D puzzle case because you want to move a cable or component somewhere else

>The only meme is having multiple x16 slots when you don't have enough PCI-e lanes to service them all at full width.
And you really don't, unless you buy HEDT. In today's usual desktops you use a graphics card, an M.2 slot, and that's it.

So you're shitty at time management. Okay. I juggle a job, a family of three, four fish tanks and I still have enough time remaining to fuck around with modelling and assembling "my puzzles".

Condensed housefire.

Get yourself a macbook + a quality case.

I Have a gtx 1080 founders in mine alongside 4 hdds with no issues. Space is tight but I bought a relatively small fully modular psu.

No, it was really fun to build. I have no graphics card, but I'm using the i7-8086k and 32GB of ram for music production. It really bothered me how much empty space my old computer's case had, and I'll probably never go back.

Attached: mini.jpg (1080x809, 75K)

if youre an enthusiast they are fun

Entirely depends on the case, a lot of ITX cases are narrower and shorter but have a lot of depth, something like the SG13 is about as wide as my mid tower, shorter and has way less depth. It would definitely be an improvement in size if I bought one that small.

Am I the only one who looks at the dimensions on a case before buying it?

What are the chances any of the next gen GPUs will fit inside a Cooler Master Elite 110?

>You can stick anything from an x1 to an x16 card in them.
All that shit comes on-board these days.

Sound-cards are dumb, and M.2 killed PCIe.

This card should fit: zotac.com/cz/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2070-mini

>forcing yourself to look at compressed garbage all the time
Might as well just pour bleach into your eyes.

What case is that?

Looks like the same as the OP case, the bitfenix prodigy

Like it or not, mini-itx is the future. The only reason to go for big cases was superior airflow, but now that has been ruined by RGB and TG cancer so there is zero incentive to stick with full/mid towers anymore.

Absolutely, NUCs are the future. Micro atx is still the go-to if you want anything beyond quad-core i7 and gtx 1060 performance for the mean time though.

Attached: p1002229.jpg (666x500, 28K)

>you have better things to be getting on with than modelling up autist-tier meme builds
Like arguing with strangers on Jow Forums? The hard truth is that the autists who spend countless hours on their meme build live more fulfilling lives than you do because they spend their time creating things, no matter how meaningless those things are to you, and they are not hypocrites who put down others on a literal time wasting forum for wasting their time.

>inside is compact
>outside is dominated by four fuckhuge handles
I like the horizontal mobo sitting right on top of the PSU though.

I've always wanted to design a case: a few years back I worked as a CAD designer for a small company that made custom luxury chandeliers and lamps with original venetian glass and that gave me great ideas on original computer cases, and that layout was my starting point, but I realized that the final product would have turned out insanely expensive, and also I never found detailed measurements on the back panel plate and the tolerances needed to fit everything, so I just gave up on the idea.

They're glorified laptops.

The future of desktops is still a 200-700w system package, but a nice addendum to that might be a vertical fanless standard.

Attached: airtop2_03.jpg (834x700, 169K)

Neat. This gives me hope.

Bitfenix has another case that uses the same internal layout with a different exterior without the fuckhuge handles called the phenom.

The dimensions for the motherboard and stuff is on formfactors.org, and there are CAD files up on smallformfactor.net.

>unlocked cpu/gpu/hbm
>i/o ports up the wazoo
>dual m.2 pci-e slots in raid 0 or 1
Nah, at least not this one. It's overpriced though.

forgot: vega graphics supports up to 6 displays

>relatively small fully modular psu
my PSU is full size and i'd rather not have to spend money on a new one, that's why i ask.

Most mini-itx cases are retarded. ATX is totally small enough to stuff into a like a 14x11x7 case which would be way smaller than most cases, including several ITX cases like the H200. But case makers are fucking retarded

My Proxmox server is a mini-itx system.

Attached: IMG_20180602_170947.jpg (4032x3024, 3.32M)

>server
>itx

Uh, and where's the storage?

>The dimensions for the motherboard and stuff is on formfactors.org, and there are CAD files up on smallformfactor.net.
Awesome, thanks!

Actually I just checked formfactors.org and it now redirects to some intel page with a small subset of the files that used to be on the old site. The main thing you want is the ATX specification pdf, which you can just google. Like I said though, you can also get them as CAD files people have made: smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/categories/motherboards.5/

>Am I the only one who looks at the dimensions on a case before buying it?
This may sadly be the case.

Other side, 2x4TB RAID1.

Attached: IMG_20181029_220917.jpg (4032x3024, 3.28M)

I was thinking of that particular case for a HTPC, i'm sure it can take a half height GPU like certain 1050Tis or RX560s

Not at all, I have almost an identical setup in both my huge 900D main desktop and in my cute little Node 304 in the living room and the temperature difference is about 5-10 degrees Celsius depending on the load. The motherboard functionality is really the biggest difference but even here it mostly comes down to ports and not much else.

At this point I would say big tower cases are a much bigger meme than small cases, though I personally like having a big case.

nice kt

nice
pet him for me

i can hear the fan noise from here

based and catpilled

what's the point in having an ITX case that's bigger than a mATX mini tower?

are there any decent miniITX/mATX towers out there that aren't wider than a 5.25" bay?

Fractal Node 202, ML08, cougar qbx, dan a4, ncase m1.

The fans are dead quiet.

Attached: picture_2018-11-01_21-43-55.jpg (640x480, 52K)

I'm fairly certain it can, and I do recommend the case. Its nearly identical in size to an XBOX One. The only suggestion/warning I have is to buy an M.2 hard drive, because its nearly impossible to fit any hard drives into the space they give you, let along plug them in with big chunky cables.

>And you really don't, unless you buy HEDT. In today's usual desktops you use a graphics card, an M.2 slot, and that's it.
U.2 uses PCI-e lanes too, soon we can move all our drives to PCI-e without haing to cover the board in M.2 connectors.

you missed my point completely. i don't want HTPC shit, I want a case that can house regular components and isn't wider than 18cm. i have a mATX tower that is 17cm wide. it manages to house a decent heatsink, huge GPU, standard PSU, BD drive, and can fit inside my suitcase.

I was autistically writing down the dimensions for many cases (MITX and MATX) because I wanted them to be under certain thresholds.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any that fit my requirements, but I still have the notes in case they eventually create one in the near future.

You know people have already done that: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dzRY3LLsXcDX5Qt5PvQOrAJhw0EK9Cy7UtQPdyRp6PY/edit#gid=0

My notes were from years ago, so I appreciate the link. I'll take a look at it and see if there are any new good cases since then.

i want the ncase m1 but dont want to pay $195. what do?

I got a huge case so it's more unlikely to be stolen

It's got $3000 guts

Rather not have it able to fit in a backpack

Wait for a used one to pop up on Jow Forumshardwareswap

Since mini-itx can't warp space, if you want to fit components that takes up the space of a mATX, what you get is a case the size of a maATX. It's about what kind of space compromise you're willing to make.

>if you want to fit components that takes up the space of a mATX
no, I don't.

all I want is a non-HTPC mini tower (ITX or mATX) that's not wider than 18cm, which seems to be near impossible to find these days.

The QBX and M1 are basically mini towers.

recommend me a case
>1x 3.5" drive
>2x 2.5" ssd mounts
>atx psu mounting (optional)
>something anyone can fit under their arm/fit in backpack

well shit, QBX seems pretty much exactly what i'm looking for, thanks. they don't seem to stock it in the UK so it slipped my radar.

>The only meme is having multiple x16 slots when you don't have enough PCI-e lanes to service them all at full width.
not sure how modern Intel systems work but with Ryzen CPUs on AM4 you have either x16 on the first x16 slot or x8 on the two first x16 slots. Then you have a bunch of x1 slots and a third x16 slot. That last x16 slot can operate at x4 if, and only if, all the x1 slots are empty. Otherwise it's x1. And M2 also shares that bandwidth if it's a pcie drive.

It really is a big scam, there's one slot that can do x16. Period. Not 3 as one might think.

It's even worse with the 2200G and 2400G because those only have 12 PCI lanes so that's one x16 slot with x8, a dead x16 slot and a x1/x4 x16 slot.

It is usual to have a graphics card and a perhaps a M.2 slot. This means you've got nothing left if you want to have more than those things. Need two x4 cards in addition? You can't unless you want to run your graphics card in x8 and not have a pcie m2.

>there is zero incentive to stick with full/mid towers anymore
depends, you can still buy cases that were made more than 2 years ago and get much better airflow from bottom (ruined by hdd shrouds) and side (ruined by tempered glass) intakes AND get lots of 3.5" HDD trays (removed from "modern cases") and 5.25" bays (which can be used as totally silenced 3.5" slots).

I totally agree that if you're looking at a "modern" case with 2 3.5" bays in the bottom and tempered glass and no airflow then you might as well just buy a mini-itx case.

nice

i'm struggling to think why one might need two slots running at x16 each. are we talking Xeon Phi here? wouldn't you need a workstation tier chipset at that point anyway?

let's say you want a graphics card and you'd like that running at x16 and you want a x4 card and a x1 card. now you're screwed.

you can have a graphics card at x16 in the first x16 slot but only if you don't occupy the second, if you do you get x8. you can put the x4 card in the last x4 slot but then you can't use any of the x1 slots.

you quickly realize it's utterly limited the moment you want to use more than the GPU slot, at first glance it looks like there's a ton of slots on a ATX AM4 board. In reality you have one slot for the GPU and either one x4 slot of 4 x1 slots. Perhaps they'd sell less if it was just the slots you can use, one x16 slot and one x4 slot..

Show me one benchmark that shows a significant performance difference for GPUs running on PCI express 3.0 between x16 and x8

Not the user you replied to btw
Not the other user

but what's so bad about two x8 slots for GPUs? when is that ever a bottleneck? and you can still use the smaller slots

Got same case love it