I need to learn C++ to make audio plugins with the JUCE framework

I need to learn C++ to make audio plugins with the JUCE framework.
I have no previous experience with programming (I have Max/MSP experience if that matters).
How long will it take me to be good enough to be able to copy other people's code and make it work in my programs?
Should I learn an easier language first?

Attached: 306px-ISO_C++_Logo.svg.png (306x344, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md
youtube.com/watch?v=fX2W3nNjJIo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/sqt/, /dpt/

Are you me? What kinds of plugins you want to make? I cant help you really cause I dont know anything either but I do know almost everything in audio is done in c++

You wanting to do more audio or midi? Just curious no reason

Glad I'm not the only one.

I'm having some problems with Max/M4L (mainly performance and some limitations) so I want to try remaking some of the devices I have as VSTs to avoid the intrinsic downsides of M4L.
They're mainly audio processors and analyzers, so I'll focus on that side first.
I don't think I'll do the midi ones for now.

What about you?
What do you plan to make?

I'm trying to get back to a bit of C++ programming (too much rails for a while), and this seemed very helpful to me:
github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md

And a related Bjarne talk on Modern C++ (it makes me think of that Javascript: The Goodparts book, but it's something different).
youtube.com/watch?v=fX2W3nNjJIo

Attached: how-do-i-reach-these-kids.jpg (400x279, 29K)

Thank you.

used/liked
tony gaddis-starting out with c++ from control structures to objects(very basic babbys first prolang book)

c++ primer

Thank you.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking how to learn it. Just these two questions:
>How long will it take me to be good enough to be able to copy other people's code and make it work in my programs?
>Should I learn an easier language first?

c++ is a good language to learn, not the easiest but it's a better starting point than say python or java, it makes sense and makes you do a lot of things "right" that newer languages dont care too much about

if you're going through one of those books and programming every day an hour or so, maybe two weeks? a month? idk, depends on how complex the code you're copying in is.

Thank you.
Does the complexity of the code matter much?
Do I have to really understand it to be able to use it?

no, if you're working with music software im imagining other people's programs being like guitar pedals? you put noise in and get different noise out? if its that simple then you dont really need to understand it. chances are it's not that easy and knowing how to debug is what will fuck ya.

I was thinking more of making my own programs from scratch and using someone else's algorithms, so I kinda just have to set the program with the buttons and the features, but the underlying math is taken from somewhere else.
Would that be particularly difficult?

GUI is always difficult, but i dont know the extent of max/msp dev tools.
The only way to know is to do it, stop trolling Jow Forums and try it

I'm asking because I need to decide if it's worth the time, because by the time I'll be able to see if it's gonna take too long, a potentially toolong amount of time might've passed, so I want to know if I should start at all, since I only need it to make a better version of what I already have, and if it takes too long it might not be worth it.

jesus fuck mate take a week and try to learn programming, if you do your life will forever be better.
or just pay someone to do it for you

Yeah, I guess you're right.
If it only takes less than a month, it's probably worth a try.

>GUI is always difficult
How so?
I thought it was the easiest part.

>How so?
I think he refers to choosing a toolkit.

Attached: mr-clean-atomic.jpg (400x400, 33K)

I don't understand what this means.

Just joking about the endless wars about which UI toolkit is better. Nothing specific to C++.

GTK+ used to be my fave, but I tried Qt5 and liked it a bit. But since nowadays everything is web this and that I think I'll try ncurses.

> old man ranting

Attached: autism-anime.gif (342x342, 501K)

Ah, thank you.

OP here.
It's 4:20 AM here and I'm falling asleep, so I'm gonna get some rest very soon.
Thanks in advance to anyone who may post other answers while I'm gone.
I'll respond as soon as I get to the computer.